UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good films lately - Part the second (Read 1139385 times)

account_inactive

• forum hero

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
.... is that the film where the main character's older than his dad and has a Snoop-dog style unhinged friend? 

Good stuff in a similar vein: "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka"?  More of a 70s Blaxploitation parody - lots of fedora wearing gangsta's dying from overdosing on gold jewellry etc. 

"Fear Of a Black Hat" and CB4 are both pretty funny too  - rap-umentary spoofs of early 90s rap scene (NWA, Public Enemy, Ice T etc) not exactly Spinal Tap but you can't knock a film that has a character called Stab Master General.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Saw this on Saturday at the Sheffield Showroom

Ne le dis à personne (Tell no one)

Quality French thriller - a plot that keeps you guessing and all round great acting with some genuinely shocking and emotional moments.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I'm terribly ashamed to say it, but I watched a possibly, maybe slightly illegal DVD of the the new Transformers movie.

HOLY FECKING CHRIST!!!!!!!!

It is unreal, I mean proper unreal. Good quality comedy moments all the way through, combined with top draw Transformer action. Even Optimus Primes' voice is authentic!!!

I had goose bumps all the way through, as soon as I get paid I'm going to the cinema to see it.

:great:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I wanted to see Transformers this weekend, it looks pretty cool in the trailers. But the bird didn't want to so we watched Harry Potter instead. Was okay. Think Transformers will be better.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
Me too. Have been told by the g/f that I've got to see Transformers on me Jack Jones. Her loss, I reckon :shrug:.

Cannae wait!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Me too. Have been told by the g/f that I've got to see Transformers on me Jack Jones. Her loss, I reckon :shrug:.

I have been told similar. Looks like an opportunity missed.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
So....UKB Transformers viewing meet?? Say a bit of evening bouldering (in/out depending on weather), then a later evening showing??

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Would love to, but a bit distant for me.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Last weekend, between rain-hit farewell sieges of my old projects (good-bye Durham) I saw Die Hard 4.  It's a touching examination of father-daughter relationships played against a rigorous examination of mankind's role and increasing redundancy within a dehumanised and mechanistic world.  It also answers the age-old conundrum: "what wins in a fight: jet-figher or a really big truck?". 

Seriously though it's good stuff, exactly what you expect, and hence exactly I wanted after days of drizzley frustration: comicbook ultra-violence punctuated by comedy and quips.  Only real fault is with the baddy: his plan, although large in scale, lacks a certain style; and he doesn't really have the charisma required to be either scary or an anti-hero (i.e. isn't overacted by a proper thesp).  So, as action films go it's not quite on a par with the original but what is?

Paul B

• forum hero
Been watching lots of films recently:
Ronin - Awesome, best car chase scenes ever (in my humble opinion)
Top Gun - Pure Cheese
Skeleton Key - Really good film and I dont usually like the scary stuff
Talladega Nights - A bit crap but then again had me in stitches in some places
The rock - as good as action films get

oh and 300, good psych material, although you might find yourself wanting to shout "Sparta" an awful lot!

cider nut

• addict
  • Monkeying around
I saw Die Hard 4 ... So, as action films go it's not quite on a par with the original but what is?

That was my first choice (before Harry Potter), but unfortunately we didn't make it to the cinema in time (a deliberate ploy by Fiend me thinks to add weight to the Transformers argument, turns out he was quite happy to see HP instead  ;) )

I'd never expect DH4 to be as good as the original, but I doubt they intended it to be - it's just good fun to have another one after all this time.

Dr T

• forum hero

Ronin - Awesome, best car chase scenes ever (in my humble opinion)

surely not as good as Bullitt? must watch that movie again

saw Mad Max 2 again last night, forgot how violet it was, pretty sure I first saw it when I was like 10 or something, guess my parents must have been out.......

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
why in a post apocalyptic world where everyone lusts for oil, have people decided that wearing your boot as a hat or earing is a good idea. fucking good film though, second vote for ronin too, when they did the car chase scenes the actors were actually driving for the most of it. Some of the stuff was too hard so stunt drivers drove lying down in the back seat with the actors up front with no control over the car, which explains why they look so shit scared in some shots.

Paz

• junky
why in a post oil-peak world

Personally I think the chase in Transporter is better than Ronin.  Ronin had absolutely nothing to do with Ronin (masterless samurai.  See Samurai Champloo for the best Ronin ever, Jin, and more cool shit) unless someone can explain that to me. 

Anyway, when choosing last night's DVD extravaganza I finally twigged why I'd always half wanted to see Alexander:  It's my fucking middle name! (Though not what the 'A' stands for).  Anyway, apart from the gay undertones (it's set around Greece so what do you expect), historical stuff which may or may not be accurate (I don't particularly care), and `attempts to get inside Alexander the person' etc., in the first big battle I couldn't help myself.  I started chanting Elephants Elephants!  None came, but the camels were very welcome.  You wouldn't fuck with a camel.  Later in the film though, I did get to see Elephants in battle, and believe you me you wouldn't fuck with an elephant either. 

In summary it's worth watching when it's on TV if you're not doing owt.

Paul B

• forum hero
The transporter wasn't done in the same manner as in Ronin, i.e. all of the driving was completely real in the latter film. The director was famous for that throughout his career. I'm pretty sure that the infernce was throughout the film that the lead character was behaving as a disgraced samurai would, pretty much as a gun for hire.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I don't know how you can mention 'Transporter' in the same breath as Ronin. No comparision on car chases or quality.

Saw Transformers last night, loved every second. Amazing movie. Best action movie I've seen for years. Try and catch it on a BIG big screen, dodgy DVD copies will not do it justice. Mrs Obi enjoyed it to but tbh it's probably more of a boys movie.  ;D

Paul B

• forum hero
yeah can't convince my missus to go...

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
Bandwagon = jumped on.

TRANSFORMERS is magnificent. The humour, action and sfx all hit the right level. It managed to be entertaining as fuck despite everybodys (certainly mine) apprehension about how bad it was gonna be. It didnt take itself seriously and avoided making tonnes of in jokes just to prove the concept and story was ironic or intelligent.

Paul B

• forum hero
Dogtown and Z-boys on now (C4), pretty good/interesting for the skaters/surfers.  :thumbsup:

Paz

• junky

It just sticks in my mind more, and according to the DVD on the second one all the stunts were real.  It's not like they do car chases all in one shot.  I realize I'm bigging up Luc Besson film who I've previously totally dissed.  but it's never once crossed my mind to by Ronin as a must see (I've seen it twice) unless it's dirt cheap - is it good on hardcore grounds for purist petrols heads or summink?

Anyway, firstly more importantly so many people have recommended transformers that surely no self respecting UKBer who's been following this thread will pass up the opportunity to see it in the cinema.  And secondly a quick thankyou keith for telling me Ghibli is £6 in HMV.

Paul B

• forum hero
It just sticks in my mind more, and according to the DVD on the second one all the stunts were real.  It's not like they do car chases all in one shot.  I realize I'm bigging up Luc Besson film who I've previously totally dissed.

are you sure? as I distinctly remember that car being shot up a ramp where it goes upside down, neatly placed crane removes the 'bomb' then it lands again unscatherd....come on.

is it good on hardcore grounds for purist petrols heads or summink?

YES.

Paz

• junky
are you sure? as I distinctly remember that car being shot up a ramp where it goes upside down, neatly placed crane removes the 'bomb' then it lands again unscatherd....come on.

Like I said that's transporter 2 (the best bit of which by far is the evil fit blond lass with the two Uzis), but on the DVDextras they say they did it, which is amazing because I agree it looked too good to be true.  I don't think they used a real bomb, just one of those hollywood jobs or CGI, but a real car did the barrel roll jump.  how do you use wire work to do a n azimuthally rotating object in the air - I'd like to know how they did Flying Snow vs Moon in Hero but there were leaves everywhere in that and damniit it just looked cool.

you're right though the explosion  may not have been relaistic.  I'd like to see more explosions done with the thing that's supposed to be exploding, rather than the standard big boys firework set.  I think they did this in Torah Torah Torah! (I heard it on one of those 100 best shows).  Use real grenades! blow up real cars! 

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
'the bridge' - a documentary about the people jumping off the golden gate bridge - amazing and wierdly life affirming (although that might be my take on something really depressing?)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I'm pleased the masses enjoyed Transformers. I was worried it wouldn't have the same sparkle as the cartoon, but it made me revert to a kid, a kid who's just watched the sex ed video for the first time. It was truly awesome, and I had a semi. I dont mind admitting it either.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal