UKBouldering.com

new wall in shef (Read 176798 times)

Slide

• addict
#200 Re: new wall in shef
October 11, 2006, 01:06:53 pm
Well Perc.  Looks like i'm gonna slowly line your pocket with the dosh you lined mine with in my shop.  Swings and roundabouts! 

Oh! and my penny'sworth:  You don't get much change from £30 at the Ski Village or castleford fridge to stand in a queue for half the time you paid for and the other half riding a poor copy of a mountain. 

day lift pass in the alps: £20 ish   Hundreds of square miles of terrain
day pass in any dryslope or fridge: £30 ish and a few hundred metres of terrain

You do the math

dave

#201 Re: new wall in shef
October 11, 2006, 05:04:19 pm
I don't think theres any logic in comparing the price of gym membership or a session on a dry ski slope to that of a session indoor climbing. Its like comparing pears with pomegranates.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#202 Re: new wall in shef
October 11, 2006, 06:14:26 pm
Clearly pears are better, I see no room for dispute there. Next!

dave

#203 Re: new wall in shef
October 11, 2006, 06:57:28 pm
i think the cofe would take exception to that. he's not loving the sandy apples.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#204 Re: new wall in shef
October 11, 2006, 07:05:22 pm
He can bawk and bawl all he likes but it's pears all the way daddio

cofe

• forum hero
#205 Re: new wall in shef
October 11, 2006, 07:20:53 pm
i'll make a brief foray from the darkness to say:

"don't get me started on pears"

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#206 Re: new wall in shef
October 11, 2006, 07:41:56 pm
You slaaaaaaaaaag!

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#207 Re: new wall in shef
October 11, 2006, 08:02:19 pm
Cheers, you big Carnie Geordie type thing. Hope the illness has subsided - I was informed last week that you'd lost your voice....... result!

£30 to stand in a shit fridge (Castleford ski slope - not a refrigerator for faeces, mind!) and only £6.50 top whack for the best indoor bouldering on planet earth? Seems crazy don't it, but I don't need to keep my building at a constant minus 4 degrees all day. In fact, until the last of the windows are installed, it might naturally be that temperature most of the winter (only kidding everybody!)

We will see if the low price stays or is increased in the future. I want the wall to be accessible for everybody -hence the very reasonable pricing policy. It is, and I can't stress this enough, however, an absolute bargain. You should see what we just built  :jaw: Sitting in one of the central 'chambers' with the boys tonight, we realised just that bit was bigger and better than the Edges bouldering wall and its only a tenth of the whole place! Keep checking our webshite thing for more bad pics that do no justice to the place.

PS: There's now less than 10 of the cheap membership deals left, so get down the Works with your cheques now to see how you should spend your cash. Nobody who has entered so far has left without coughing up (more or less!)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#208 Re: new wall in shef
October 12, 2006, 09:35:06 am
I think the price isn't bad. Compare it to Ratho, who tried to get us to hand over £12 (6 to register and 6 to use the wall even if it was a one off visit), then informed us they were closing early (8pm) (it was 2nd Jan). It seems to be clsed again too, I would be gutted if I had paid up to register, only for it to be shut down.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#209 Re: new wall in shef
October 12, 2006, 09:37:06 am
Outrageously, Ratho is closed for Refurbishment (! you just opened!), I also heard that the good bit of the bouldering surface (the boards under the cafe) is to be turned into offices. What a rubbish refurbishment. Off to alien rock2 for anyone who is bothered then...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#210 Re: new wall in shef
October 12, 2006, 09:44:00 am
Outrageously, Ratho is closed for Refurbishment (! you just opened!), I also heard that the good bit of the bouldering surface (the boards under the cafe) is to be turned into offices. What a rubbish refurbishment. Off to alien rock2 for anyone who is bothered then...

yup, cheeck this; http://www.edinburghleisure.co.uk/news_article.asp?ArticleID=15

On the plus side, work is well under way on this http://www.transition-extreme.com/location/wall_design.htm to open in Spring in Aberdeen. Hope it is better managed than the RGU wall. Managemenet seems promising so far, they are apparently making a section of the changing rooms accessible to surfers using the beach.

Simon S

• menacing presence
#211 Re: new wall in shef
October 12, 2006, 10:20:09 am
Oh dear! £200 looks like absolutely amazing value to me-a fucking great deal and no mistake! I just paid £340 upfront for membership of UCR in Bristol which has shit facilities, unprofessionally run, dirty and with a very amateur feel to the place. Plus no monthly DD or even quarterly options. I can only assume its due to the lack of competition that allows such a lax attitude to the way in which its run. The route/problem setting is the real redeaming factor though-top class.

Climbing is such a cheap sport compared to literally all others-I still don't get this cheapskate climbers mentality.

Facilities cost money-the more that something costs the better it should be, and from the pics it looks to be superb.

Well done and good luck to Percy and the boys.  :thumbsup:

enigma

• regular
#212 Re: new wall in shef
October 13, 2006, 02:44:23 am
One of the most important threads in the history of UKB and the fuckwit who started it off can't even punctuate the title of it properly.  Unbelieveagable.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#213 Re: new wall in shef
October 13, 2006, 03:12:53 am
Indeed. 

I was curious as to how much a 3 month membership might be. I am one of those unfortunate fellows who missed the boat, and subsequently uses the school (with members I should add) very occasionally. Much to the chagrin of (other) members who turn up whilst I'm there.  I think for the winter months when the weather is that fuckin' diabolical that even a session on Banana Finger, god bless its soul, proves unjustifiable, I would be keen as mustard to use such a facility. say combien?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#214 Re: new wall in shef
October 13, 2006, 08:06:24 am
Bloody non-members.  ;)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#215 Re: new wall in shef
October 13, 2006, 09:48:29 pm
Someone earlier in the thread reckoned they had spotted an off width on the comp wall. I hope they feel suitably idiotic for even making such a suggestion. An off width on a comp bouldering wall. I ask you  :whistle:

However while I have not been looking the boys have been naughty. I apologise most humbly for this abberation.

Check the latest pics on the website.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#216 Re: new wall in shef
October 13, 2006, 10:00:28 pm
You guys should link to your site in your signature ;)

For the record, it's http://www.climbingworks.com/index.htm

A wooden offwidth - you sick fucks :lol:

squeek

• junky
#217 Re: new wall in shef
October 13, 2006, 11:22:43 pm
Work your <i>weakness</i>!  Jamming cracks indoors regularly make me upset, they're great.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#218 Re: new wall in shef
October 13, 2006, 11:34:09 pm

:o

Futuristic!

Though what exactly is he reaching for?

The future...?  ;)

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#219 Re: new wall in shef
October 13, 2006, 11:42:49 pm
He's not reaching for anything is he. But his shadow is reaching for something. Christ we try and be arty. I don't know.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#220 Re: new wall in shef
October 14, 2006, 12:08:30 am
Christ we try and be arty. I don't know.

I'm not the messiah.

But I did respond with a suitably abstract interpretation. Now you have to go and build something radical in response. That's how great art works. A dialogue of shape and form; a melding of the mental and the elemental...

Just don't do this:

He's not reaching for anything is he. But his shadow is reaching for something.

Remember - It is from the shadows that all men reach...

...if only because there's a girl nearby who insists on switching off the main light and using useless little lamps because they make the room feel cosier...

Dude

• addict
#221 Re: new wall in shef
October 14, 2006, 04:44:08 pm
 :o Me thinks I'lll be giving that offwidth a miss, I've no ambition to do right eliminate, and thats for a reason!

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
#222 Re: new wall in shef
October 14, 2006, 05:14:20 pm
Its more Ramshaw Crack than RE

MattH

• menacing presence
#223 Re: new wall in shef
October 16, 2006, 09:01:43 am
I just posted some new pics from yesterday including the beginnings of the world's biggest campus board!

www.climbingworks.com

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#224 Re: new wall in shef
October 16, 2006, 10:39:37 am
OMFG,

it just gets bigger and bigger, the size of it......... brings tears of joy to my eyes.

i'm all over come (too much cheap coffee, sorry)

whan's the £202 member night planned for?? i'll need to take the day off work the day after

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal