UKBouldering.com

Training pinch strength (Read 3984 times)

ouch

• regular
Training pinch strength
August 09, 2006, 03:50:45 pm
Hi all,

I was wondering what you all do to train pinch strength.  I got a finger board but it doesnt have any pinch holds on it, should've checked for this doh :-[!  I suppose I could buy some wooden batten and put this by the side?

Sorry if this has been done before but I'm new here and well if everyone did a search there wouldnt be any posts!!

cheers

Toad

• regular
#1 Re: Training pinch strength
August 09, 2006, 04:21:57 pm

I use a 2 foot length of 4" drainpipe, capped off at both ends and filled with sand.
Wrap a band of coarse sandpaper around the middle and hey presto...

Hold with palm down for as long as possible, then repeat on other hand.

'Tis handy holding over a sofa etc. for when it drops, for a nice soft landing...

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Training pinch strength
August 09, 2006, 06:37:18 pm
I train the pinch grip using a weight plate with extra weight attached or 2 weight plates together for the wider grip. I am gonna try and make a pinch wood block with 2 grip widths which I can attach weight to. I will let you know how I get on with that.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#3 Re: Training pinch strength
August 10, 2006, 06:56:26 am
You could try these:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1248

Plenty of stuff on www.dragondoor.com about pinching/crushing exercises too.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#4 Re: Training pinch strength
August 10, 2006, 08:31:14 am
Become a labourer for a season.  Pinching breezeblocks/bricks is neat for pinch strength.  And pinching something you can only just lift and walk with it.  This works.

ouch

• regular
#5 Re: Training pinch strength
August 10, 2006, 10:11:32 am
There's a building site over the road from where I work, I'll go and 'borrow' a couple of bricks after work ;)

Being able to hold a pinch for more than half a second would be a start!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#6 Re: Training pinch strength
August 10, 2006, 10:18:18 am
Vary the weights and thickness of what you are lifting.  I find thin pinches/fins quite desperate to use but fat pinches bomber (here I usually grip thin pinches between my thumb & 1st & 2nd joint of my index finger).

I wonder if lifting a breezeblock in a pinch grip then dropping and re-catching before it hits the ground might help?

ouch

• regular
#7 Re: Training pinch strength
August 10, 2006, 11:05:42 am
... I wonder if lifting a breezeblock in a pinch grip then dropping and re-catching before it hits the ground might help?

Not for my toes  ;D

I find that I can hold a range of pinch grips, any bigger or smaller and I find it desperate.  Like you say big pinches can be trained using blocks and bricks but what about smaller pinches I reckon these are harder to train I could screw something onto a board and hang from them, probably have to do alternate hands to start with.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal