UKBouldering.com

Bantry Bay (Read 4147 times)

andy popp

• forum hero
Bantry Bay
August 09, 2006, 01:37:26 pm
Going Bantry Bay area for a few days at end of August - does anyone know of any bouldering round those parts? Cheers

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#1 Re: Bantry Bay
August 09, 2006, 01:51:10 pm

You mean Cork yes?

The area is dotted with stone circles, alignments and galluns. The Kilnaruane Pillar Stone, The Kealkil Stone Circle, the Breenymore Megalithes and the Ahakista Stone Circle being the more accessible near Bantry.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:00:20 pm by Houdini »

andy popp

• forum hero
#2 Re: Bantry Bay
August 09, 2006, 09:02:57 pm
Sorry, yes Cork. Tnanks for the info on the stones. Unlike Idol Eyes I doubt I'll climb them but I should like to go and see them.

webbo

• forum hero
#3 Re: Bantry Bay
August 10, 2006, 08:10:51 am
i went to cork last summer did'nt find anything.i can't remember where we wentto but bantry bay sounds like somewhere we visited.theres a crag described in the short span guide which i went to and left without getting my shoes out.
you might find something to play on but then again you might not.

AndyR

• forum hero
#4 Re: Bantry Bay
August 13, 2006, 02:38:21 am
Ditto for what Webbo said - there's a tonne of rock in the area, but it's universally a shite fine grained muddy sandstone, and doesn't seem to form anything worth putting boots on for.
There are some reasonable beaches there though.
And the fishing is good.

webbo

• forum hero
#5 Re: Bantry Bay
August 14, 2006, 08:09:31 am
i looked at the map and we went to bantry bay a couple of times for a meal.went through it several times on our travels as well.but as andy says theres rock every where but when you get close the steep stuffs loose and flakey and the slabby stuffs slabby.

DubDom

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Bantry Bay
August 14, 2006, 11:20:09 pm
Unless you plan to travel through any of the other areas outlined on theshortspan.com, I'd leave the climbing shoes behind, further north, into Kerry, the rock improves, but there is very little recorded even there. Try the climbing.ie forum but beware, you'll probably have some  local boy raving about some collection of muddy lumps of shite, telling you that it's the next Font....There is good undiscovered potential in Ireland, but I don't think it's down that way.

andy popp

• forum hero
#7 Re: Bantry Bay
August 15, 2006, 07:54:59 am
Cheers all. The conclusion seems pretty obvious.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Bantry Bay
August 15, 2006, 01:06:02 pm
Yup, borrow a surfboard.

DubDom

• menacing presence
#9 Re: Bantry Bay
August 16, 2006, 12:25:00 am
Yup, borrow a surfboard.

Only if you want an entirely different form of frustration...

andy popp

• forum hero
#10 Re: Bantry Bay
August 30, 2006, 07:20:44 pm
Just back from this spot - beautiful beyond all expectation. However, yes, rarely have I been anywhere with so much exposed rock but so little to climb. However, did do two highly enjoyable but undoubtedly minor V3s on a block a yard from the Priest's Leap road as it climbs Coomhola mountain, about a mile beyond the last house. Good (mountainy) rock, holds and moves.  Photos may follow. At Glengarriff there is a hill littered with glaciated little domes, some with steep backsides, and there are bluffs and blocks up the direct road from here to Kenmare. I can't believe there isn't a circuit to be done here

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Bantry Bay
August 31, 2006, 09:53:01 am
Just back from this spot - beautiful beyond all expectation. However, yes, rarely have I been anywhere with so much exposed rock but so little to climb. However, did do two highly enjoyable but undoubtedly minor V3s on a block a yard from the Priest's Leap road as it climbs Coomhola mountain, about a mile beyond the last house. Good (mountainy) rock, holds and moves.  Photos may follow. At Glengarriff there is a hill littered with glaciated little domes, some with steep backsides, and there are bluffs and blocks up the direct road from here to Kenmare. I can't believe there isn't a circuit to be done here

I think this is somewhere in that area. According to the guide "There is at least one decent boulder about twelve kilometres north of Glengarrif on the right of the road." I think this is it

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal