arg they got me..... (Read 4378 times)

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
arg they got me.....
August 08, 2006, 10:10:10 am
kilnsey mites got me  >:(

not midges which you know when you're getting got

but them invisible critters - leave you wearing a nice line in red lumps where your harness has been - tres attractive

what are they??

anyone else been got??

probably increased the chances of getting got, by lying on the floor feeling sick still hungover from friday, on sunday....not conducive to best climbing performance - maybe they liked the taste of rum

webbo

• forum hero
#1 Re: arg they got me.....
August 08, 2006, 01:38:02 pm
maybe you've got sheep ticks.they look like little crabs.you could get dense to give you a close inspection. :whistle:

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#2 Re: arg they got me.....
August 08, 2006, 01:50:59 pm
maybe you've got sheep ticks.they look like little crabs.you could get dense to give you a close inspection. :whistle:

oh my i'm blushing at the thought ! :-[

Think i'll wax the old pant moustache first ...

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#3 Re: arg they got me.....
August 10, 2006, 08:02:03 pm
Was at Kilnsey today and a couple of people were complaining about the same thing (bites, not hangovers that is...). Not had the misfortune to suffer myself, but I think your right in that they're in the dust and not midgies.

So, the moral of the story is don't roll in the Kilnsey dust. Simple really  :goodidea:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#4 Re: arg they got me.....
August 11, 2006, 06:54:09 am
Nantmoor, N. Wales.  I can't go here without having my blood sucked.  Via the navel, everytime.  They just like it there...

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#5 Re: arg they got me.....
August 11, 2006, 10:57:22 am
is that where there is a downhilling course? i had a great interaction with a tree at some n. wales downhilling place - many moons ago before i decided montain biking was too dangerous

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#6 Re: arg they got me.....
August 11, 2006, 11:03:36 am
It be round the bends past Carreg Hylldrem.  Heavily ferned/sheeped with reasonable if very spaced bouldering on sharp rock.  A large and confusing area with Cnict in view.  Honcho Footpath one of the best highball slabs in N.W. can be found here.  It's a Crook Zone.  About as esoteric as anyone needs really.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: arg they got me.....
August 11, 2006, 12:00:24 pm
I can't go here without having my blood sucked.  Via the navel, everytime.  They just like it there...

The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand?

I've been sucked (on!) plenty of times this year, Creag Dubh was definitely the worst, I must have removed a dozen, from miniscule to the size of money spiders. Horrible things.

webbo

• forum hero
#8 Re: arg they got me.....
August 11, 2006, 12:29:51 pm
i once at chapel head scar due to heat i just wore my boxers under my harness.found dozens of the little fuckers all round my groin the next day.worse was knoydart had a little fucker trying to bury into my sac. :o

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#9 Re: arg they got me.....
August 12, 2006, 11:51:59 am
 Chiggers/Harvest mites. It's actually the larva of the mites which bite. They inject powerful digestive enzymes into the skin then suck out the liquified cells. I've just come back from a week in the dales and got hit quite badly at Kilnsey and Blue Scar. Strangley I got maybe 50 bites and Fi didn't get a single one.
 Avoid sitting on the grass, leaving cloths/harness/rucksac straps on the ground. Shower as soon as you get back from crag (although you may not see them as they are tiny the buggers stay attached for up to four days before dropping off!). Change cloths and wash them as soon as you can. Some insect repelent work apparently, as does sulphur.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#10 Re: arg they got me.....
August 12, 2006, 02:20:01 pm
I think they are pretty choosey about who they chomp on. I used to hang out at Kilnsey all the time and never got bit once.

On the other hand, my blood seems to be considered a much sought after vintage claret by the bastard midgies.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: arg they got me.....
August 16, 2006, 07:58:34 am
Mada a hungover approach to Creag Ghlas on Sunday, but totally repelled from the crag by midges like I've not experienced before, combined with ticks by the dozen. Filthy little fucking creatures. Pity as the crag looks superb.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#12 Re: arg they got me.....
August 16, 2006, 09:20:12 am
in our pre-car days me and a mate once went to widdop by train - planning to do some chuffing and sleep up there for a few days - all our kit was of the cheap and rubbish variety and weighed about 7 tonnes (my sleeping bag packed about as small as a fridge) so we made the executive decision not to take a tent - walked fukin miles up from the station to the carpark then the more miles (it felt like) to the crag - then had a good days climbing - unfortunately as dusk fell out came the midges of satan - a chomping our faces like you wouldn't believe (this about seven inthe evening - and us with no where to hide) - ended up running down to get the last train back home

ma n pa>thought you two were going for the weekend?
us> mumble mumble midges

Chiggers/Harvest mites. It's actually the larva of the mites which bite. They inject powerful digestive enzymes into the skin then suck out the liquified cells. I've just come back from a week in the dales and got hit quite badly at Kilnsey and Blue Scar.

i didn't know that!! met my mate ed at the vine boulder last night - he looked like he had some pox he'd been got so bad at kilnsey.

lorentz

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: arg they got me.....
August 16, 2006, 08:06:20 pm
Eat loads of strongly garlicked or chillied food.

It won't help one bit, but it'll taste great and you'll have the satisfaction of giving the little fuckers (and yourselves) a healthy dose of the 'ring of fire'.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal