UKBouldering.com

Two new forum changes - please read (Read 8615 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Two new forum changes - please read
July 27, 2006, 09:44:23 am
1: Email
- You can now use the forum to email another user, rather than having to use your email client.

2: Karma
In line with the self policing ideals of this forum...
- All karma actions are now logged, and are there for all to see.
- See the "Karma Stats" link at the bottom of the page
- When you use the Karma system, you must now give a reason for why you are wadding/puntering another person.
- Now I can monitor Karma and if anyone is taking the piss, then they will be dealt with. Things counting as misuse of the system are two friends/enemies constantly dishing out +/- karma to skew the stats, giving repeated karma for the same reason (unless this is justified of course), etc, etc.

So, the bottom line is, if you're being snidey and giving somebody a load of -ve Karma for no real reason, they, and everyone else will be able to see you doing this. On the flip-side, if you're giving out loads of +ve karma people can see what a lovely, giving person you are ;)

We'll see how it works out....

Please note that guests cannot see karma at all, and users who have made less than 50 posts cannot make karma votes.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 10:47:08 am by Bubba »

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
 Am I right in saying 'who' refers to the person being dealt karma and the 'whom' is the person dishing it out?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Other way round.

"Who" is the person dishing out the karma, "Whom" is the target.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

btw - the karma line that's in there now has no description - this is because it was the last one given out before this modification was implemented.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
What does clicking on the underlined words do and what is the significance of the upwards or downwards pointing triangles?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

They are just sort options, eg you can sort by name to see all karma recieved by a particular person. The triangles just signify ascending or descending sort.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Errrr can we have a Karma reset now please.

Just so I know which snotty cunt has been dissing me all this time...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

I thought about a karma reset - is this a good idea everyone?

JR

• forum abuser
dunno, maybe just reset negative karma if you can.  I would have thought positives were only given for a reason, unlike some of the negatives that have been thrown around to some of the youths and fiend etc.  do you not have an admin log of the karma dished out previously, i imgaine you could tell which are malicious and which aren't from that?  Time consuming i suppose though and it is only a bit of fun.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 01:29:13 pm by JR »

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
 I'd say reset both or reset neither. I'm sure some folks have given waddage just to give balance to folks who have recieved loads of punterness, but wouldn't have wadded them up otherwise and perhaps vica versa. So you might get someone going from +25/-300 instantly to +25/-0, which is not representative of peoples intent.

JR

• forum abuser
granted a true statement but in your example someone who gets 12 times the amount of punterdom than wadding will quickly either regain his true representation or not, and if he doesn't then you know people have been doing it out of cowardly spite which solves the problem!?  Over time it would settle down then, even if people had been wadded out of sympathy i would have thought because personally i don't think thats a massive issue, and a bit of free +ve karma won't hurt anyone least of all andi-e and such like, after all their postive karma aint much more than most. ;-)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 01:45:05 pm by JR »

JR

• forum abuser
why not put it to a poll?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
 Hmmm, maybe and maybe not. I could well be wrong but I suspect people will be much more reluctant to deal out punter points when they have to put their name to it. The log has only been active today, but so far it has been 100% +, with the exception of the first data, which I think was made without realizing it would be logged.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I vote for a complete reset, obviously.

Not just me but to clear away the mess that invariably comes in the early stages of introducing more user interaction.

I just hope when people start dishing out wad points again, they remember who had the nerve to post those stories about his penis exploding...

...hang on....maybe THOSE got me punter points.... ???

webbo

• forum hero
i'd be giving punter points to anybody who gave you wad points for taking about your dick. :o

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
Tabula rasa

Avanti!

andy_e

• forum hero
It's interesting to see I have higher than average positive karma... Maybe people were feeling sorry for me?

I think a karma reset is a good plan. That way it will hide the fact that dense has been logging on every half hour since karma was introduced to punter me up good.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
If that was true I think you'd be on a lot less than -113

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Funny how all karma has been postive since the change :lol:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I think this whole "reason" stuff is a bit fluffy for this forum. Shoudl be able to vote for "scrap the whole thing".

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Ok, I'll put that option in....but somehow I don't think it'll stay so nicey nicey for long ;)

There's no penalties for giving -ve karma folks, just don't try to boost people up or down.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal