UKBouldering.com

Week away - beginner locations pleas? (Read 2885 times)

bikerboy

Week away - beginner locations pleas?
July 10, 2006, 07:51:32 pm
Been well impressed with the advice offerd on this site to date - thanks to all and sundry for that. :beer2:

I'm heading off on the motorbike for a break from the missus next week. Was planning to head across Wales to Cardigan Bay area from Bath (wher I live). Then preobably across the north coast of Wales and up to the Peaks.

Any 'must have a go' recommendations en route?

I'm hoping to have a small crash mat, but will be soloing and am relatively new to the sport - so bear this in mind.

Looking for quality biking roads on the way as well, and maybe some quality walking days.

Should be spoilt for choice I know - but would appreciate any suggestions beyond thiose near to Cardigan Bay and The Roaches.

Cheers :bow:

Mart

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Are you bouldering or soloing?

Not sure grit soloing in this heat would be all that much fun, I reckon N. Wales would be better.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Llanberis Pass in Snowdonia has some good low level bouldering and, I suspect, would be good fun on a bike? Places. Loads of good spots in West Yorkshire, if you plan on venturing across that far. Loads of places in between, may be worth having a play with the database on www.ukclimbing.com

a dense loner

• forum hero
anywhere around burbage north, south boulders area in the PEAK. low level good stuff, climbing in morn or eve would be recommended

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
grit soloing is not recommended in this heat (after I nearly fell off near of the top of demon rib the other day). There is no friction, there is much sweat, and even if you drop your grade it still feels a bit sketchy. Go bouldering since it's safe, easy, and there are many good problems both in north wales and the peak.

bikerboy

Please keep 'em a coming my way............... :whistle:

When I say soloing...I'm getting ahead of myself! No not free climbing..just going away on my lonesome (subtle difference), so unlikely to have a spotter...so no high ball stuff please!

:great: :great: :great: :great: :great:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Free-climbing is not soloing btw. Free-climbing just means not using artificial aid ;)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
You should sack off all other intentions and head straight up to Parisellas cave on the orme. Then you should sell your bike to buy protein shake and remain in the cave until you have conquered it. If you complete the above, you will have the appearance of lou ferrino and the slack ring of the doyle - character traits to be proud of.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal