UKBouldering.com

Cheedale Cornice Conditions (Read 127659 times)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#125 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
July 02, 2009, 02:53:22 pm
To be honest I doubt it would be worth the asking. I don't think it would cause much damage to plant life if restricted to the routes themselves excluding the first and last metre or so, I just think the powers that be wouldn't like the 'sound' of the idea. 
Does Cornice alien-jelly-fruit count as a plant? Infact I've no idea what it is, animal, vegetable or mineral. Any know what the hell it is??

nik at work

• forum hero
#126 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
July 02, 2009, 05:15:58 pm
Well the offers there if anyone wants to take it up.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#127 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
July 03, 2009, 09:13:27 am
I just think the powers that be wouldn't like the 'sound' of the idea. 

Exactly my thoughts. I think you'd have to time it very carefully for word not to get back to them though, hardly a subtle operation. The problem with doing it low key is if they do find out you could fuck up some good relationships.

Isn't the Cornice one of the spots that is owned privately rather than DWT though? Checked the maps on their site but they've replaced the nice commissioned ones with googledrivel.

Alien-jelly-fruit - slime mould?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#128 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
July 03, 2009, 10:13:10 am
Yeah DWT own the far right hand end which is pretty scrappy and under a voluntary climbing ban, but not the main bit. But they do have interest and strong opinions on all the crags in the dale, so it’d be likely to piss them off either way.
Slime mould seems a likely possibility but not like any others I’ve seen.

kc

• obsessive maniac
#129 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
July 06, 2009, 12:41:53 am
A few years back a gang of us removed a load of sycamores from the right and left hand ends of the crag (with permission from the landowner & DWT). The chainsaw ran out of juice and we ran out of time to tackle the middle section. I am sure it made a big difference. Also vegetation returned to the scree slope below K3. If somehow the left hand end ever dried out long term, I would be the first to get stuck into a new line.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#130 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
July 10, 2009, 05:46:36 pm
Generally suffering from the recent heavy rain. Powerplant nearly dry. Everything right of RnP dry (LAtB, Unleashing, etc). Everything else in varying states of wetness.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#131 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
July 23, 2009, 07:14:42 pm
Virtually everything has some level of wetness. Worst it's been for ages.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#132 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
July 23, 2009, 08:43:45 pm
Boo hiss. Thanks for checking Beejoy. Guess I should take Cry Of Despair off the potential list.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#133 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
August 05, 2009, 10:55:44 pm
A tale of two halves down t'dale today.  The Embankment and Max's were both gopping with seepage and condensation at teatime today.  Across the river there was seepage from Lightweight (bollocks), Daylight, Why Me when we first got there. The sun came out and it was roasting and very humid and desperate to climb but once the sun dipped it was OK if still a little humid.  Two Tier had pretty much dried out by the time we left.  The embankment was still very seepy though, a big wet patch on Sturgeon (double bollocks) and wetness on Secret Gudgeon, Stone, Mind and Beef It.  Hopefullly the next few days will see some dryness...

Two lads climbing near us said that Chee Tor was gopping with condensation..

Fj

• menacing presence
#134 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
August 20, 2009, 02:04:24 pm
Anyone got any idea is Max's will be dry this evening?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#135 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
August 20, 2009, 02:05:25 pm
It rained in the High Peak until lunchtime but the sun is now out and it's blowing a hoolie with no further rain forecast.  I would have said, yes it'll almost certainly be dry.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#136 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
September 25, 2009, 09:27:55 am
Anyone been down lower Cheedale recently? Even the Cornice must be getting pretty dry after several weeks of virtually no rain.  :-\

JC

• addict
#137 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
May 12, 2010, 07:29:28 pm
The cornice is looking extremely good at the minute, touch wood.  Pretty much everything to the right of Clarion Call is dry at the moment, but obviously very dirty! Even the left hand side is looking promising, Nemesis looked about 75% dry! Not far off do-able. Also stuff like Masculine Power Trip are nearly there.   I really hope it doesn't crap it down soon and soak everything for the rest of the year!   :wall:

Just needs more psyched people to clean stuff up!

Some clean routes at the moment:-   Powerplant (cleaned & re-bolted),  Unleashing the Wild Physique (clean again, and very good!).

The Nook is dry as well  & Chee Tor also all bone (including the Ogre).

T_B

• forum hero
#138 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
May 13, 2010, 11:15:26 am

Some clean routes at the moment:-   Powerplant (cleaned & re-bolted)

Well done whoever re-bolted Powerplant - did it a few years ago and it was well worrying.

mickb

#139 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
May 19, 2010, 11:14:03 am
Martial Music and Clarion Call had a few ascents yesterday. Also people on Cordless, Powerplant, and R n P.
The Ogre has had ascents lately as well.

Like John said eveything right of Martial Music is bone dry, and plenty of stuff getting cleaned up.
Just needs some more traffic.

T_B

• forum hero
#140 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
May 21, 2010, 09:13:26 am
More folk on the Cornice last night.  Take yer brushes though - definitely suffering from being out all of last year.

Ogre got more cleaning and is pretty clean. Excellent route.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#141 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
May 24, 2010, 09:44:15 am
Good to see crowds at the Cornice this weekend. Let’s hope the drying continues.
Basically the left half of the crag still has some way to go but the right is almost all climable with a fair few things having been cleaned up and a couple of things rebolted:
Nemesis – Partly cleaned but not yet fully dry.
Cry of Despair – Still partly wet but has had some attention so partly clean
Martial Music and Clarion call – Dry and clean(ish)
Armictice Day and Who’s Line – Just about dry enough to climb but no one has been up yet and hence still filthy
Bored of the Lies – Clean and chalked
Four Door and Powerplant – Clean, chalked and re-bolted thanks to Jon Clark
Devonshire Arms – Needs cleaning and re-bolting, but dry
K3 – Partially cleaned, good bolts
RnP – Clean and chalked
Love Among the Butterflies – Clean
Unleashing – Clean and chalked
Cordless and Cosmopolitan – Clean and chalked
Everything further right dry, some stuff clean and chalked including 7as on the far right.

Went on the Ogre (only just noticed this is an anagram of FA’s surname). Excellent route definitely worth getting on. Great rock and climbing after a slightly scrappy disposable start. Lank alert – the crux , if you can reach, is a steady reach of good footholds and an undercut to a good hold; if you can’t reach it’s a whole different ball game and makes the route a good deal harder (pull on tiny sharp hold or slap off tiny flake to sloper off poor footholds!)

dave

#142 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
May 24, 2010, 09:48:04 am
Lank alert – the crux , if you can reach, is a steady reach of good footholds and an undercut to a good hold

I'll bring these.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#143 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
May 24, 2010, 09:57:41 am
Like the FA says (you might need to be logged in to rockarchivist to view image):

T_B

• forum hero
#144 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
May 24, 2010, 01:34:55 pm
Yeah, Ogre is super reachy isn't it. 3 long moves though all off the left arm, so I'm not counting my chickens. Keen to get back on it. Great to try a vertical route at this sort of grade that doesn't have mingin holds or polished footholds.

Sam

• addict
#145 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
May 29, 2010, 04:19:30 pm
main area from Martial Music right all dry today (sat 29) save for a little run-off on CC & routes R of Unleashing. CoD area dryer than last sat too. Where was everyone? The works?  :shrug:

nik at work

• forum hero
#146 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
June 02, 2010, 11:29:58 am
Anybody got an up-to-the-minute report on how the Cornice is looking?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#147 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
June 02, 2010, 11:37:53 am
Looking good

Was down Monday and going again later today.

Jon Clarke has now also rebolted Devonshire Arms (the guy deserves super-wadding) and is aiming to rebolt all the classic routes on the right and is I believe armed by the Peak Bolt Fund.

Much of the left is still dirty and damp though Nemesis has seen a bit of attention.

Doylo

• forum hero
#148 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
June 02, 2010, 08:04:45 pm
Can't comment on the nick as it was my first time down this year but conditions were pretty good overall.

nik at work

• forum hero
#149 Re: Cheedale Cornice Conditions
June 03, 2010, 08:14:05 am
Cheers gents.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal