UKBouldering.com

Moon weight belts (Read 7953 times)

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Moon weight belts
June 24, 2006, 02:13:27 pm
was wondering why companies like moon dont have a go at making some climbing specific weight belts for training with. they dont seem to be that easy to come by and i reckon there would be enough demand. :-\

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Moon weight belts
June 24, 2006, 02:32:52 pm

Because it's really easy just to make your own?

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Re: Moon weight belts
June 24, 2006, 03:24:58 pm
I think it's a perfectly reasonable, acceptable way of making idiots part with their cash. 

There'd be climbing heroes on each weight so I could collect them all!  Gill!  Fawcett!  Moffatt!  Moon!  Smith!  Gaskins!  Dawes!  Robins!

And not cheap either, keep the riff-raff out.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#3 Re: Moon weight belts
June 24, 2006, 04:02:22 pm
 :-[

Timatron

#4 Re: Moon weight belts
June 25, 2006, 10:06:47 am
The cheapest weight jackets that I've found are at www.playwell.co.uk.  Adjustable weight up to 10kg, which is more than enough for most mortal men.

I've been training with mine for a few months now.  It hasn't really made me any stronger as I expected.  Instead, my technique has really improved because it stops you from having the luxury of cutting loose and other strong man tactics.

Quite a few of the good climbers I know do the same. Mark Croxall has been using weight jackets for years and I'd say he's pretty strong.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: Moon weight belts
June 25, 2006, 10:49:42 am
Bouldering with your newborn in a papoose.  Good for you, who needs a weightbelt? - even better for little timmy/tammy.  The real Gentleman's Bouldering Club.

Start 'em young - let them get a feel for the wood and a taste for chalk at an early stage.  Get them to crawl up ramps with a changeable angle.   Studies have shown that kids given this kind of headstart can climb 8b when they're 11.

widdop

• addict
#6 Re: Moon weight belts
June 25, 2006, 07:20:07 pm
forget the weight belts ,the kids come on so fast with the load they carry around ,just leave the nappy as was 

LongMonkey

• player
#7 Re: Moon weight belts
June 26, 2006, 11:09:09 am
I just bought some ankle weights and tied them round my waist. The average weight seems to be around 8lbs which works pretty well if you use them for part of your training session.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#8 Re: Moon weight belts
June 26, 2006, 12:46:06 pm
i surely prefer the rough feel of my old wheight belt on my waist, which also leave burning scars on the sides.
oldskool baby.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#9 Re: Moon weight belts
August 03, 2006, 12:14:58 pm
Finger boards are really easy to make, out of wood and a few screws yet moon are inundated for requests for them. If moon made a climbing weight belt it would almost definatley sell pretty well, so i was wondering if there is a specific reason metolious or moon or anyone hasn't tried to produce one.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#10 Re: Moon weight belts
August 03, 2006, 12:27:00 pm
Probably as there is jack all they could add to pimp and brand something that is readily available & sold in a zillion aquasport shops across the land.  Why bother?

Andy_P

• regular
#11 Re: Moon weight belts
August 03, 2006, 02:12:48 pm
Probably as there is jack all they could add to pimp and brand something that is readily available & sold in a zillion aquasport shops across the land.  Why bother?

You would think so, but...
https://www.moonclimbing.com/index.php?form_action=detail&category_id=12&product_id=77

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#12 Re: Moon weight belts
August 03, 2006, 02:17:40 pm
Although I reckon they would sell. Perhaps noone has done it yet as selling weight belts is inviting punters to train with them on when they should only really be used by people with a good basic level of strength, lest they get injured, sue Ben and force him into a life sweeping the car park in somerfield.

The fingerboard analogy doesnt scan either - theres much more to making your own than buying a weightbelt. Buy a backboard, screws, bits of wood, tools to work those bits into different holds, spend about 30 years making the holds, screw them on, fix to wall. For a weightbelt you walk into a shop and purchase a weight belt - job done.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#13 Re: Moon weight belts
August 03, 2006, 03:37:41 pm
You would think so, but...

Chalk's ubiquitous.  I've never touched a weightbelt.  That's why he can sell chalk.  But maybe not weightbelts.  Eight belts?  Maybe.

Hmmm.....  Annual weightbelt sales to climbers per year over tonnes metric of Mg ever touched = Even I could sell chalk....

...Hang on!  What a great idea!  Houdini chalk (patent pending) for anyone daft enough to go for it!  I'm on to something here... 

"Sprinkle a little magic into your session with all new Houdini Chalk!"

or maybe  "Shazzam MuthafuckaaahH!"

Give up now Moon, this time next year you'll be shinin' ma shoes down at the Houdini Factory (Night Shift).  Oh yes.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 03:42:27 pm by Houdini »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 Re: Moon weight belts
August 03, 2006, 10:53:48 pm
Congratulations to Ben for managing to market chalk as Moon Dust :lol:

I'm not sure nobody's selling them coz of the legal risks though Dobbers - tis no worse than selling weights of any kind - a noob weightlifter could easily screw themselves up by attempting a big lift too early.

This is obviously my opportunity to get rich quick - ukb "8 belts" :)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#15 Re: Moon weight belts
August 04, 2006, 10:27:49 am
Congratulations to Ben for managing to market chalk as Moon Dust :lol:

I hope you are not insinuating that Moon Dust is a shallow exercise in brand-name attachment!

I'll have you know that, between tackling boulders, Ben Moon has trained his mind to become one of the world's leading inorganic chemists.  Moon Dust is the result of an extensive private research programme that required Ben to plum the structure versus property relationships of every conceivable calcite; investigating the effects of hydrate coordination on the mysteries of grit friction.  If you look closely at the training videos on his website you can see the X-ray Diffraction Spectrometer he built from old car parts and a disused TB testing station, found junked behind a hospital.

The effort nearly drove Ben insane.  He is still often found looking bewildered and muttering "....magnesite.... barringtonite ... nesquehonite ....and lansfordite" on street corners.  The respiratory problems he developed whilst personally mining and purifying dolemitic minerals will blight his future.  But it was worth it: Moon Dust is truly chalk par excellence, utterly distinct from anything else on the market. 

What prevents Ben from immediately marketing his own weight belt is pride.  His stubborn perfectionist streak will not let him merely buy an old diver's belt and print "Moon Rock (TM)" on it.  Ben will only be satisfied with a weight-belt that sets radically new standards.  Perhaps involving the creation of a new, super-heavy element, enabling slim-line construction and full freedom of movement.  Or maybe... and here's a testament to the ambition of the man: a weight belt incorporating a tunable, miniature black-hole that would allow the weight to be varied and actually made negative for assisisted pull-ups.  Not that he ever has to resort to such measures, but Ben is a friend to the weak as well as the strong. 

Unfortunately, such products will have to wait for Ben to master a new and necessary intellectual discipline.  As I write the Moon is hard at work on his Open University doctorate in theoretical physics, and unfortunately the negociations to bring disused sections of the CERN particle accelerator to the School Room have stalled... something to do with bad seams on a pair of Cypher pants.

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#16 Re: Moon weight belts
August 04, 2006, 10:41:04 am

The effort nearly drove Ben insane.  He is still often found looking bewildered and muttering "....magnesite.... barringtonite ... nesquehonite ....and lansfordite" on street corners.  The respiratory problems he developed whilst personally mining and purifying dolemitic minerals will blight his future.  But it was worth it: Moon Dust is truly chalk par excellence, utterly distinct from anything else on the market. 

you mean its a chemically manufactured forgery - and not made from dust from the moon at all! i'm sickened by the deceit.  :furious:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#17 Re: Moon weight belts
August 04, 2006, 10:45:08 am
This sounds remarkably like that Neil Morrisey hoax where channel 4 (or someone) managed to persuade half the country that Neil was actually a biochemist and had developed the elixir of life with help from some crazy nomadic arab tribesmen, but when he went back with the cameras they'd all disappeared! Bit like Si O, he did all that hard stuff, but when he went back it had all moved around and he couldnt find it. Poor lamb.

Anyway, even as one of Ben moons biggest fans and stalkers, his chalk is shite. Its that really fine rubbish stuff. I wanted to believe, I really did but it was rubbish. Back to superchalk.

Stubbs

#18 Re: Moon weight belts
August 04, 2006, 10:49:04 am
Or maybe... and here's a testament to the ambition of the man: a weight belt incorporating a tunable, miniature black-hole

:great:

outside of blackholes, this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ununhexium would seem to be his best bet for an ultra compact weight belt

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#19 Re: Moon weight belts
August 04, 2006, 10:50:37 am
Good post moose :lol:

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#20 Re: Moon weight belts
August 04, 2006, 11:46:53 am
his chalk is shite... ... it was rubbish. Back to superchalk.

Jeepers Dobbin, that's one plug camp Moon won't be high-fiving.  Have you tried Houdinis' magic powder?  It's fucking great: it changes colour according to the rock you're climbing.  Shazzam MothafucKahHZz!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#21 Re: Moon weight belts
August 04, 2006, 02:51:16 pm

Jeepers Dobbin, that's one plug camp Moon won't be high-fiving.  Have you tried Houdinis' magic powder?  It's fucking great: it changes colour according to the rock you're climbing.  Shazzam MothafucKahHZz!

Or do you do a line of the powder, and everything you look at changes colours? That's the Shazam Shizzle.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#22 Re: Moon weight belts
August 07, 2006, 11:24:13 pm
Quote from: Bubba
Good post moose

:agree:

Have some more waddage

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal