UKBouldering.com

Photo Printers (Read 3392 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Photo Printers
June 22, 2006, 03:30:29 pm
Anyone got one? Thinking of getting one for producing up to 10" x 8" or so.

Quality is an issue, but also price, ease of use and price for inks etc is also an issue.

Any pointers?

Thanks

Chris

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1 Re: Photo Printers
July 10, 2006, 02:48:10 pm
At all?

Does everyone do it online or at a shop then?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Photo Printers
July 10, 2006, 03:10:11 pm
I've got an old Epson 890 which does nice prints but running costs are high and getting an accurate on-screen preview is a lottery. I expect the latest version would be good, Epson and Canon seem to have the best reps.
For the stuff I sell I use the Fuji frontier at peak imaging - exposes normal photo paper with a laser so you get a proper print with the advantages of digital printing.

dave

#3 Re: Photo Printers
July 10, 2006, 11:19:26 pm
I had an epson photo printer (and in fact still do) but to be honest unless you're going to use them all the time then don't bother. they will block up with dried ink every time you want to use them, which necessitates pleanty of fucking around and/or pissing away ink, which costs time and money. on the other hand getting good reliable prints from soemwhere like peak imagine is relatively easy and cheap. You can get good results with a printer but they're not going to be able to match a proper print like at peak imaging, especially not in longevity (archival quality). if you're going to use it all the time it might be worth it (my bird's dad does and rates his printer) but if you're not then it just ain't worth the dollar and the effort. I got a 20pack of sheets or A4 photo paper with ours which I never even get round to finishing off.

The problem with printers is they seem to be designed and made by people who primarily work in electronics, when they are essentially a largley mechanical appliance. hence they will allways fuck up, be tempremental and just piss you the fuck off. In any office whats the piece of equipment that fucks up the most? It'll be the printer. Now if Glock, BMW or Isambard Kingdom Brunel made photo printers then we might be in business. Sadly they are made by the same people who make digital watches and fax machines.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#4 Re: Photo Printers
July 11, 2006, 10:20:21 am
I bought her an epson stylus photo printer for xmas and completely echo what dave says above. When we first bought it we wanged in the cartridges and reeled off a load of prints - fantastic or so we thought, then we left it for about a month and it produced rubbish output thereafter. We cleaned the heads about 20 times and realigned the nozzles and got another 10 prints out of it, but then the carts were empty. We replaced (no small cost) and this time resolved to leave it on (I used to have to service printers and I have definately been told that the ink needs to be charged for them to work properly) but this made no difference as the chuffing thing turns itself off after about 2hrs stdby. The only answer is basically to completely obliterate the carts when you get them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Photo Printers
July 11, 2006, 12:28:23 pm
Arse, might sack it off then. Sounds like more hassle than it's worth.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Re: Photo Printers
July 11, 2006, 01:04:32 pm
They do work though - I've got some really nice A4 prints - and you can get 'em for under a £100 so its no big deal.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: Photo Printers
July 12, 2006, 10:12:58 am
I feel like indecisive dave, out the Fast Show now.

Cheers, will do some research and see what I can get for £100 notes or so.

As an aside, can anyone think of some handy camera kit that is worth getting at abround the £100 mark?

I have a decent flash, lenses, tripod, camera bag, memory cards and readers etc.

dave

#8 Re: Photo Printers
July 12, 2006, 10:36:40 pm
I feel like indecisive dave, out the Fast Show now.

"they should bring back the death penalty"
"like in america?"
"exactly"
"where they've got the death penalty..."
"exactly"
"...and the highest murder rate in the world."
"exactly, it don't work does it. you've got to re-educate your criminal...."

genius.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal