UKBouldering.com

'The Hardest Route in the World' (Read 3190 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
'The Hardest Route in the World'
June 14, 2006, 10:46:46 am
OK - This is not about a real route, but a piece of fiction I once read in High (maybe) Magazine.

I don't remember the author, I don't remember the issue (other than it was probably printed in the 80's).  I do remember I was dropping the wife and kids off at the pool when I read it, in a cottage on the Snowdon Path around '99.  Maybe you read this while doing a poo, too?

It's certainly one of the most prescient works of fiction about climbing I've ever read, it was called The Hardest Route in the World.

Does anyone remember it, and if they happen to have the issue, would they be prepared to scan it and email it to me?

The story revolved around the best climber in the world who's legs had atrophied to mere stumps, and who's back looked like a turtle's.  The route involved about a 100 one-armers followed by too many double-dyno's to the summit.  Ring any bells in thee swede?

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#1 Re: 'The Hardest Route in the World'
June 14, 2006, 12:12:41 pm
Sounds just like Cresent Arete to me... no??  ???

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: 'The Hardest Route in the World'
June 14, 2006, 12:25:22 pm
Sounds like one of Grimer's ramblings. Did you ever read his short story about the two blokes who microwaved their brains for fun?

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#3 Re: 'The Hardest Route in the World'
June 14, 2006, 01:15:44 pm
was it the one where he doesnt finish the route cos he finds an easier way to to do the last move hence a mere mortal who can do 99one armers can do it?

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#4 Re: 'The Hardest Route in the World'
June 14, 2006, 01:17:36 pm
Ha ha! I like it!!

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: 'The Hardest Route in the World'
June 14, 2006, 02:47:19 pm
was it the one where he doesnt finish the route cos he finds an easier way to to do the last move hence a mere mortal who can do 99one armers can do it?

Either you're using the voice on me, or that's ringing true.  Do you remember who wrote it?  I doubt it's Grimer: I figure it's before his time. That stack of mags in that bog was huge...   They had been there some time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal