UKBouldering.com

Weird achey arm... (Read 4966 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Weird achey arm...
May 17, 2006, 10:31:25 pm
Over the last few days everything has seemed to go majorly tits up. Ive devloped a dull ache down the inside of my arm (mainly around the bicep area). It doesnt hurt it just feels very uncomfortable.
Had a prod around in my elbow but couldnt find anything bad in there, anyone got any ideas about what this might be or be caused by?
Had a search and came to the conlusion it might be general tendonitis...Any solutions? press ups and therabands im guessing.

andy_e

• forum hero
#1 Re: Weird achey arm...
May 18, 2006, 08:42:28 am
I had the same in my right wrist yesterday... I think I did it carpet-campussing so I presume it's tendon related... Anyone any ideas?

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#2 Re: Weird achey arm...
May 18, 2006, 09:18:38 am
Paul, I've been climbing like a blind three legged dog for the last week and everything was aching unusually including dull ache in shoulder (never had shoulder probs before) and my fingers feeling all tweaky. Then today I've come down with a stinking cold which accounts for all of the above...

Andy, WTF is carpet campussing?

andy_e

• forum hero
#3 Re: Weird achey arm...
May 18, 2006, 09:21:00 am
Climbing up the back of my stairs, which are carpeted...

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Weird achey arm...
May 18, 2006, 11:19:08 am
no this is definately not just one of those kind of aches, its been here for a few days.

sasscotty

• addict
#5 Re: Weird achey arm...
May 18, 2006, 11:25:45 am
i get that same problem. although I haven't had it for a while its exactly the same as you described it:
a weird ache , not painful but very uncomfortable.
id like to know what this is.
any body?

scotty.

bigphil

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Weird achey arm...
May 18, 2006, 12:31:30 pm
I can't help with what it is but I can tell you that I've had it too for pretty much as long as I can remember climbing.  It comes and goes.  I've always assumed I've overstrained something, though, it often comes on after I've had a relatively light session so I'm not sure.

Terrace Ghost

• player
#7 Re: Weird achey arm...
May 18, 2006, 03:24:14 pm
Paul B
sounds like the start of tennis elbow, you need to rest dude and ice.  i got the same problem at the moment.  The ache in your bicep is due to the attachments in the arm, does it hurt more when you straighten your arm?

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Weird achey arm...
May 18, 2006, 03:50:49 pm
not really, seems to be more when i lift my elbow up to the side.

sasscotty

• addict
#9 Re: Weird achey arm...
May 18, 2006, 03:55:23 pm
yeah same here.
And more when i bend my arm aswell(like if i try and touch my shoulder).

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Weird achey arm...
May 18, 2006, 10:21:42 pm
Has anyone here used the hallam sports injury clinic? Saltbeef? im sure i remember you mentioning it a while back, d'ya reckon itll be worthwile?

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/forceit
#11 Re: Weird achey arm...
May 19, 2006, 08:43:44 pm
Hey Paul,

It is impossible to diagnose your injury is based on the vauge information you've given.

If you want to see a good psyched sports physio who will educate you about your injury as well as treat you then try to book onto Alison Mcfarlane's busy schedule at the hallam sports gym. If you still a student then it's cheaper.

I'm out with Golfers elbow at the moment. Started mixed martial arts again...it's way harder than climbing

Good luck with it man
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 08:47:51 pm by Huffy »

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Weird achey arm...
May 19, 2006, 08:50:17 pm
Cheers huffy,
did some light stuff tonight, just traversing and it fealt more like on the outside of elbow nr the base of the tricep. Ive got exams coming up so ill take it easier for the next couple of weeks anyway, ill try get booked in somewhere although i dont want to pay for ongoing sessions, what are you doing for your golfers?

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/forceit
#13 Re: Weird achey arm...
May 19, 2006, 09:07:33 pm
I was cranking on it for a while like a total punter which didnt help but into a routine now.

Days 1-4: No specific activity other than daily routine. 

Days 5-10 Progressive stretching

Days 11-20 Light resistance work (therabands, using other arm, weights etc) to eccentrically load and lengthen the flexors (stress collagen fibres and encourage correct allignment)
21 onwards - diciplined return to climbing.

Ice, ibuprofen, hot/cold (10 days post injury) as required. Lots of water.

If you want to get some proper good background knowledge then look here: http://www.jhandtherapy.org/issues
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 09:31:02 pm by Huffy »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal