UKBouldering.com

Esoteric Peak Limestone (Read 56262 times)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#50 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
November 10, 2006, 06:10:03 pm
Dave, a quick glance at your 8-thousand-odd post tally tells me that you've got a lot of spare time on your hands (or at least you used to have in your old job). ;)

Of course it's your choice Dave, and if you don't want to dirty your hands on such a winning project, I'm sure Cofe will happily take the glory. I expect soon enough he'll be gliding round town in a chauffeur driven cadillac, sipping champagne and stopping to sign peakbouldering.com logoed t-shirts thrust towards him by possies of glamorous young bouldering ladies.

cofe

• forum hero
#51 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
November 10, 2006, 06:36:33 pm
all this talk of 'the man'.

it would be a very big job but i reckon it will happen at some point.

DubDom

• menacing presence
#52 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
November 29, 2006, 01:01:36 pm
back to different venues. Anyone looked down Anston way? then there's Clowne crags, Markland Grips and cave, Hollinhill Grips. Anything at Creswell crags? How about Whaley Rock, Langwith cave, Ash tree cave or Thorpe common?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#53 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
November 29, 2006, 01:17:53 pm
Never heard of any of those except for Cresswell crags. What/where are they? Are they climbed on? You have any pics?

DubDom

• menacing presence
#54 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
November 29, 2006, 06:04:25 pm
I'm trying to find out some more. No doubt most of them are not worth bothering with, but you never know. They all seem to be part of the same formation of limestone which makes Roche Abbey and Pleasley

fashionguru

• player
#55 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
December 18, 2006, 02:37:11 pm
Hi Guys,

Creswell Crags is a prehistoric Cave settlement area with lots of "Rock Art" so they say it is not recommended you climb here. A pity

As for the "Grips" looked round here earlier this year most is on private land and what is left is covered in huge amounts of ivy. 1 pretty good looking boulder though. Needs cleaning.

Anston- This area has been developed quite extensively now but the folks who have been there are allowed to do so with the blessings of the Rangers. This is a SSSI site with rock art and should only be accessed with the consent of the rangers or speak to one of the few folks who know about the area and the restrictions. Again very sensitive area please consult before going.

As for the rest of the places please if you visit let us know about the state of play.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#56 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
December 18, 2006, 06:22:07 pm
Wow, you learn something everyday. The only rock art I knew about in the peak was the carved spirals/ cup-marks on grit.

dave

#57 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
December 18, 2006, 08:22:32 pm
Dave, a quick glance at your 8-thousand-odd post tally tells me that you've got a lot of spare time on your hands (or at least you used to have in your old job). ;)

you've hit the nail right between the eyes there sunshine.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#58 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
December 19, 2006, 08:51:52 am
Wow, you learn something everyday. The only rock art I knew about in the peak was the carved spirals/ cup-marks on grit.
It's actually a fair way east of the peak (if you don't already know).
In 2003, engravings were found on the walls and roofs of some of the caves - the only known examples of Palaeolithic cave art in Britain. Their subject matter is representations of animals including bison and several different bird species. The engravers seem to have made use of the naturally uneven cave surface in their carvings and it is likely that they relied on the early morning sunlight entering the caves to illuminate the art. Thin layers of calcium carbonate flowstone overlaying some of the engravings were dated using the uranium-series disequilibrium method, which showed the oldest of these flowstones to have formed 12,800 years ago. This provides a minimum age for the underlying engraving. The scientists and archaeologists concluded it was most likely the engravings were contemporary with evidence for occupation at the site during the late glacial interstadial at around 13,000-15,000 years ago.
From wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creswell_Crags

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#59 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
December 19, 2006, 11:06:16 am
Cheers, BJ, my fingers had already done the googling though...

DubDom

• menacing presence
#60 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 01, 2007, 09:38:32 pm

Scouse D

• forum hero
#61 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 25, 2007, 05:24:45 pm
I'm currently training in Buxton School and stopped off today at a limestone craglet right next to the A6. Had remnants of chalk on it plus glued holds ,a crag x style ladder and some good looking up problems and a hard traverse. It looked like a poorer quality crag X. Is this Toad Hall?

Paul B

• forum hero
#62 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 25, 2007, 05:57:52 pm
I believe it is...

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#63 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 25, 2007, 07:33:21 pm
Yes it is, but wer'e supposed to be keeping away until Simon Jaques sorts out the access with the landowner.
Do a search on this board for more info.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#64 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 25, 2007, 09:50:56 pm
cheers.I'll steer clear (not that it's anywhere near in condition)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#65 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 26, 2007, 09:49:33 am
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 08:34:29 am by Bonjoy, Reason: confidential documents »

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#66 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 26, 2007, 12:33:19 pm
keep us posted bonjoy, i've serious unfinished business at that place!!

Jerry Morefat

• addict
#67 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 27, 2007, 07:47:40 pm
I don't know if its already been covered in this thread, but has anyone checked out the crag with what looks like a large roof situated above beginners wall? Looked liked it had some potential for two or three bolt lines on it, although perhaps it was a lot smaller than it looked from the path leading up to beginners wall.

Paul B

• forum hero
#68 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 27, 2007, 10:20:25 pm
I think people have looked at it and it might need 'some' glue to make it decent. At the start of the summer I tried to put together a list/topo for this kind of thing (Esoteric Limestone) but got really disheartened and lost all motivation after visiting a few venues that I was told had potential to find out they were utter crap...The best possible venue was toad hall which as previously mentioned has current access issues.

dave

#69 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 29, 2007, 11:00:03 pm
I don't know if its already been covered in this thread, but has anyone checked out the crag with what looks like a large roof situated above beginners wall? Looked liked it had some potential for two or three bolt lines on it, although perhaps it was a lot smaller than it looked from the path leading up to beginners wall.

if you mean the thing that's almost directly above sean's roof, bit further along the road from beginners, then yes i went up there this summer. my opinion was it looked alright, the routes would probably need a bolt or two because the landing rolls away just when you need them. that main problem was getting up there involved wearing a thick pair of trousers and bushwacking through knee high sticking-buds and nettles up a steep slope to get there - it was a fucking mission, but would calm down with regular use. didn't climb owt there, but did some excellent new stuff elsewhere in that valley.

Jerry Morefat

• addict
#70 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 29, 2007, 11:25:19 pm
oh well, not quite the verdonesque crag that i had formed in my mind.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#71 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 30, 2007, 05:07:37 pm
That reminds me. Last week I recieved a tender document on my desk for rock stabilisation work to Toad Hall!! Called Shacklow Wood in the doc, but it's definately the same thing. Not sure what if any implications this might have on the access situation. Passed the tender on to the guy who deals with rock work, but will try to get it back for a proper look.

Maybe the'll finish the hold sika job, not that the place is that loose

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#72 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 31, 2007, 09:15:58 am
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 08:33:58 am by Bonjoy, Reason: confidential documents »

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#73 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 31, 2007, 12:46:46 pm
Are you sure this is the same crag ?
If it is related to the access issue it seems a lot of effort and cost
to allow a few people to climb.
Sounds like a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#74 Re: Esoteric Peak Limestone
January 31, 2007, 12:47:46 pm
I think the system clock has gone a bit screwy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal