UKBouldering.com

Peakie heading north (Read 2502 times)

Dude

• addict
Peakie heading north
April 25, 2006, 09:47:05 am
We're leaving Sheff and heading up North this weekend.
Been to Caley/Widdop and Almscliffe plenty of times,and fancy somewhere else. What do you Yorkshire boys reccomend? Bridestones?Earl Crag? Looking for plenty of probs, nowt too hard as rehabiltating my wrist ( 5-6c) be fine.
all advice appreciated, thx

Stubbs

#1 Re: Peakie heading north
April 25, 2006, 10:04:24 am
Font 5-6c i assume?

Earl is obviously awesome, but most of the quality lines there are the harder ones, but it's a great place to check out and will get you psyched for when you're better.

Problems to try, off the top of my head
Rat au Van and arete next to it: both highball and about 6a/6b, both quality
John Dunne Slap: pop of crimps for jug, about 6c
Australia Roof: Nice little roof problem, about 6b
Erasor Slab: Quality high ball hvs 5b

i'm a bit stuck now, as all i can think of at Earl is the problems i want to do  :D

Have you considered Brimham as an alternative option? Lots of quality easy stuff to go at there, I'll leave someone else to do that list.

HTH

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#2 Re: Peakie heading north
April 25, 2006, 11:10:54 am
Had a great day at Earl doing easy highballs once, but depends if you are in a highballing mood. Lots in the V0-2 range I think, but some are just a bit too high to fall off comfortably.

Bridestones has some good stuff in the easier grades. Horror Arete is the must do, and its probably more like V3 than V5.

Brimham probably has the mostest. It's a crazy themepark of rock sorta place. Definitely worth checking out. I think the usual method for non-locals is to spend an hour wandering around trying to match up rock formations to the topo, then just giving up and climbing everything that looks fun...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: Peakie heading north
April 25, 2006, 11:15:37 am
Earl is the 2nd best crag in the country so definately gets my vote

Dude

• addict
#4 Re: Peakie heading north
April 25, 2006, 12:15:23 pm
Cheers dudes, looks like it may be Bridestones or Brimham then. Might save for Earl for when I'm cranking decently.

andy_e

• forum hero
#5 Re: Peakie heading north
April 25, 2006, 12:26:27 pm
Good line at Earl... Blind Pew 6b or 6b+ maybe (V4 anyway) Is great, but short and sharp... very sharp (ow)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#6 Re: Peakie heading north
April 25, 2006, 12:58:08 pm
Earl is ace -  just hope for good weather as it's cold, north facing, and tends to stay damp.  I've been on 4 occasions and only managed to climb once  :(.  Tonnes of good problems have already been mentioned: Earl is very good for slightly bold V3ish stuff - slabby aretes  et al.  I'd also add Hanging Groove and Trick Arete to the list.  A warning re the latter though, if you're finding it hard, do not perservere.  That problem utterly destroys your skin, especially on a sweaty day!

Brimham: is superb though it will probably seem less so on a Bank Holiday Weekend (especially now the parking is £4.50).  Very confusing to the unfamiliar even with the Yorks Grit Bouldering guide - don't be afraid to ask for directions.  Though as pointed out you'll have a lot of fun just trying everything and it's one of those places where just being there can feel special  - finding a quiet spot and just soaking up the prehistoric ambience.  Personal favourites include:
Pommel (V4), Anchor (V7  - soft if your are tall), Black Dog Arete (the front of an arete on a buttress to the left of Pommel), Acme Wall (V3), Happy Days (V4-5ish), Pair in a Cubicle (V6), Whiskey Galore (V6), V3/4 overhanging arete near Lovers Leap.......

Other good places - Slipstones (possibly a bit far north) is fantastic with a good mix of bouldering and microroutes.  There's a free pdf topo at yorkshiregrit.com too.  If you find Earl is wet and can't be bothered to venture too much further, you could do a lot worse than Shipley Glen.  Lots of good slabs and aretes at the far end: Millstone (V5), Manson's Wall (V5), Vim (V2), Red Baron (V7); and lots of microroutes nearer the pub.  Just watch out for broken glass and wandering "yooths".

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal