UKBouldering.com

UK Top Five Venues (Read 3355 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
UK Top Five Venues
April 16, 2006, 12:45:20 pm
After a trip to Earl yesterday (need to get there more often) it left me thinking it must be one of the best places in Britain for bouldering... so what is the top 5 in everyone's opinion? I'm guessing Caley will be in there, and somewhere from the peak.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#1 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 16, 2006, 01:28:44 pm
In no particular order (apart form Yorkshire being number 1, Northumberland number 2, the Peak number 3, North Wales number 4 and Pex number 5) I'd say Yorkshire, Northumberland, The Peak, Northwales and Pex

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#2 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 16, 2006, 07:44:13 pm
Parisella`s, Porth Ysgo, Llanberis Pass, Ogwen Valley somewhere in the Peak/Yorkshire/Lakes, i`m not from N Wales honestly.

RichardB

• regular
#3 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 16, 2006, 10:19:37 pm
Caley, Bridestones, RHS/Cratcliffe, Burbage and Pex

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#4 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 17, 2006, 07:04:28 pm
Parisella's (cos its fuckin hardcore and should be the only place in Wales included here!), Earl, Caley, cratcliff maybe and the pub  :)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#5 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 18, 2006, 09:57:18 am
Parisella's (cos its fuckin hardcore and should be the only place in Wales included here!)

Parisella's straight in @ No.1?!

Dude - you've lost your marbles; here, take mine:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 18, 2006, 10:36:17 am
Errrmmmm.

Dumby.

Churnet Valley.

That's all I can think of...

BenF

• forum hero
#7 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 18, 2006, 10:55:49 am
Earl Crag, Porth Ysgo, Burbage.  They're my favourite three, couldn't really decide on another two from the range of venues that popped into my head. 

I love Widdop, but it's pretty small.  I love the Churnet, but likewise it's fairly limited in size.  I love Pex, but it's not a UK top 5 venue is it?  I love the Pass, but it seemed cheating to put a whole mountainside in as one venue and I couldn't limit it to just one area within the Pass.  Then there's the rest of Yorkshire.

Duma

• forum hero
#8 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 18, 2006, 10:56:55 am
as you say,
earl
caley

also,
wimberry
burbage valley
Roaches (inc. the clouds)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#9 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 18, 2006, 06:46:10 pm
Parisella's (cos its fuckin hardcore and should be the only place in Wales included here!)

Parisella's straight in @ No.1?!

Dude - you've lost your marbles; here, take mine:

It was in no particular order, but I recon Caley is the no.1 bouldering spot in the uk closely followed by earl. Unable to decide on a peak venue really.
I know not everyone like parasella's but at least I discounted the rest of Wales

Little Paul

• addict
#10 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 18, 2006, 08:13:04 pm
LEAVE WALES ALONE!!!!!!!!1111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Well done Gruff!! Good lad stickin up 4 sunny Wales! I agree LEAVE WALES ALONE!! >:(

dave

#11 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 18, 2006, 10:18:32 pm
my top 5:

burbage north
burbage west
burbage south
the orme
kyloe in

cofe

• forum hero
#12 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 18, 2006, 11:09:59 pm
my top 5:

burbage north
burbage west
burbage south
the orme
kyloe in

personally, i'd swap the orme for pork disco, and kyloe for burbage bridge.

dave

#13 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 18, 2006, 11:18:52 pm
you don't have to swap kyloe for bridge, i include bridge as a subset of west.

thing with porky disco is yeah its great to go and tick the stick-it ticks, but not a great amount to really keep going back for all the time like you could with burbage or parisellas. plus it eats your skin like shit through a goose. you ain't never going to get 8b strong at porky.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#14 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 19, 2006, 12:08:29 pm
I have to agree with Dave, pork ysgo is good but not that good. Plus its in Wales  ;)

whispering nic

• player
#15 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 20, 2006, 12:27:54 am

Bowden, 'scliffe, Caley, Pex, Kyloe in.

Soxs

• player
#16 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 20, 2006, 11:03:15 pm
The Stride, Roaches, Thorn Crag, Kinder, Widdop.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#17 Re: UK Top Five Venues
April 21, 2006, 11:30:04 am
LEAVE WALES ALONE!!!!!!!!1111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Everyone & their dog has left Wales alone since the 14th Century - I say it's time it got a kicking.  I just don't understand the fetish for places like the cave.  I'd bet if Roadrunner was still climbable Floppy & Nodder would be there, 24-7.

If, watching people strain their heads red with their knees tucked under their armpits (or some such position) while the all-pervading stench of fresh faeces mixes with the smell of old sweat and grunts of "Do it!  Do it!" does it for you...  Then I'd like to recommend y'all come and watch me do my 7am poo, you'll feel right @ home.

In no particular order:

South side of the Pass: For the friction, the summer evening light, proximity to The Vaynol Arms etc..  (Click click - "There's no place like home - there's no place like home.")

Talfarach:  For the friction, the evening light, the ocean, the landings, the proximity to absolutely no-one or thing.

The Sheep Pen, Ogwen:  Oddly - I don't find the climbing here that good - but something about being on the plateau makes me feel very comfortable here.  Not that the climbing here is poor, you understand.  Always worth going back to.

I'm having a real problem including a grit crag as I'm largely ignorant about grit - but it would be ludicrous to omit it - so I'll go with The Roaches (or rather the Clouds) as I've always enjoyed bouldering here.  More so than The Peak.  Or maybe Robin Hoods' stride, maybe.

And the sandstone...  Harrison's?  Meh!  I'd like to include Pex Hill - which I rate highly - but the climbing is just too one dimensional there.  Frodsham?   Erm...  No.  Which leaves St. Bees and Northumberland.  I've been to neither, though if I had, I suspect I'd chime in with Northumberland sharpish.

(Scotland oughta feature here)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal