UKBouldering.com

Austria mystery continued... (Read 4075 times)

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
Austria mystery continued...
April 14, 2006, 04:04:52 pm
  This is desperate.  Sureley someone has been to Maltatal and Saalachtal boudlering.  I'm going on the 10th May, and so far have no clue whatsoever as to where I am heading for.  Does any one know Barnsley Dave (of CragX.com fame)?  I know he's been to Maltatal, but I have no idea where he is at.  Topos and place names that are findable on a map would be awesome.  On the last post Villach was mentioned, which is a help of sorts, but more indepth would be appreciated! ???

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#1 Re: Austria mystery continued...
April 15, 2006, 01:44:20 am
http://www.nadventure.com/topos/topos.html there`s mention of maltatal here and vids of loskot climbing there, lots of topos etc but not sure if they are for ur place!!

dave

#2 Re: Austria mystery continued...
April 15, 2006, 11:37:11 am
  This is desperate.  Sureley someone has been to Maltatal and Saalachtal boudlering.  I'm going on the 10th May, and so far have no clue whatsoever as to where I am heading for.  Does any one know Barnsley Dave (of CragX.com fame)?  I know he's been to Maltatal, but I have no idea where he is at.  Topos and place names that are findable on a map would be awesome.  On the last post Villach was mentioned, which is a help of sorts, but more indepth would be appreciated! ???

chirs if you want i will try and find a map from when i was in austria and maybe knock something up for you. give me a bit of time and i'll see what i can do.

the other thing if you could email the udini site and explain you're one of north wales leading lights and i'm sure they would furnish you with some better info. I tink the only reason theres no better maltatal info on the tinternet is that climbing is strictly not allowed there so that's why they don't publicise it.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#3 Re: Austria mystery continued...
April 16, 2006, 09:30:37 pm
I think andy harris might have been? Hopefully he will see this when all back at work and reply - or else I will ask him.

andy_e

• forum hero
#4 Re: Austria mystery continued...
April 29, 2006, 12:52:10 pm
This could also be quite handy for me... where exactly is the Saalachtal?

dave

#5 Re: Austria mystery continued...
April 29, 2006, 04:51:13 pm
i think theres summert about saalchtal or whatever on the shwieger brothers website.

Sorry Chris i couldn't find any maps or shit about matatal round the crib. my advice is take the info i gave above along with the info on the udini site and try and buy a map or look on the web a bit before you go - i managed to stumble on Emotional Landscapes by a combination of the udini beta, intuition and luck.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#6 Re: Austria mystery continued...
May 02, 2006, 01:17:31 pm
Did look into Austria bouldering a while ago, though on our trip we never got as far as Austria. Check out these threads for everything I discovered on the web:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,4267.0.html

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,3898.15.html

zemike

• regular
#7 Re: Austria mystery continued...
May 02, 2006, 04:49:15 pm
not sure about the situation in the maltatal. they had it closed for bouldering sometimes last year (or 04 can't remember). no official reopening till now... so you might get in trouble down there.
the maltatal is a deadend southeast-northwest valley north of the hohe tauern national park, you have to head for a village called malta (campsite there) from gmuend (n of villach). some bouldering is roadside, check the local guide/climbers for more info. (also come chuffing (sport & trad) around).

r-man

• forum hero
#8 Re: Austria mystery continued...
May 29, 2007, 11:03:03 am
Just came across a useful looking article about Zillertal bouldering.

http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=972

dave

#9 Re: Austria mystery continued...
May 29, 2007, 01:11:36 pm
that is intersting (especially cos i want to go back to mayrhofen some time and there was sod-all decent info available back then), but in the interest of clarity i should point out that zillertal is nowhere near maltatal etc that this theread was started about - its about 3 hours drive away. just before anyone gets too excited.

r-man

• forum hero
#10 Re: Austria mystery continued...
May 29, 2007, 01:43:23 pm
Yeah, my mistake. I tried to delete my post and put it elsewhere, but the delete option seems to have disappeared.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#11 Re: Austria mystery continued...
May 29, 2007, 01:49:56 pm
One of my trip options this year is for Austria. Have a relative's friend who lives in this 'province(?)'here. More specifically, I think he lives in a place called Kuhnsdorf - A map. If I was to stay in his hotel, would this put me in spitting distance of any good areas? I know very little about Austria unfortunately.

dave

#12 Re: Austria mystery continued...
May 29, 2007, 02:05:29 pm
I know you'd be an hour and a half drive from Maltatal there (~100kms?), but there may be other areas that are closer. i'm no expert, most of the places I know about (have been to) are more in the mountains to the west, zillertal, felbertauren etc (these would be a good 5 hours drive!).

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Austria mystery continued...
May 29, 2007, 03:39:52 pm
Hi Chris,  Barnsley Dave has indeed been to Maltatal but I don't have any contact details for them. He climbs at the works in sheff a lot so have a word with percy of sam and they might have his No on the system (I'm sure the data protection act hasn't found it's way to the works yet).

Not sure about this salactal place but I'm sure people at maltatl will know. Have a good trip.

dave

#14 Re: Austria mystery continued...
May 29, 2007, 08:22:02 pm
its a good job old reliable harris turned up with this info a good 13 months after chris wanted it..... ;D ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal