UKBouldering.com

Turkey (Read 2547 times)

Duma

• forum hero
Turkey
March 28, 2006, 07:24:19 pm
maybe should be in "Abroad" but fuck it...

anyone been? am flying out to antalya next weekend for a week staying here:http://www.climbingcamp-antalya.com/en/

looking for tips of a general nature... how easy is it to get around? Is there anywhere to get supplies (inc fuel for my trangia) relatively nearby?

can't wait...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Turkey
March 29, 2006, 08:18:38 am
I travelled all the way along that coast in 1989. Hitch hiking (my favoured mode of transport at the time) was a bit patchy, but there was a good coach system linking the bigger towns, and locally there are "dolmus", which are basically mini bus taxis that go everywhere any time. It's handy if you have a half decent map of where you want to go, and can pronounce your destination properly. Just turn up at the dolmus station in town (normally marked on a map, or ask the tourist office) and ask around, and someone will point you in the right direction. Then to get back into town, just get on the nearest main road and wave at any that pass. Hand over a couple of lira (do they still have lira?) and you will get to wherever you want to go. Having some small change rather than handing over large notes is a good idea, and also trying to keep your pack as small as possible. It's a great way to get about, and a great way to meet locals, who are mostly pretty friendly. There are some amazing beaches round there, and a great waterfall that plunges straight into the sea that you can swim under, after navigating the pegs in the cliff for a descent.

Dunno about fuel, we had a cadac cannister stove and couldn't find any anywhere. Ended up eating excellent local kebabs and pizza every night.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#2 Turkey
April 13, 2006, 09:43:30 am
I believe Matt Perrier, Graham Desroy, Ray Wood, Jude Spanken et al had a blinding week here (@ the camp) a few months ago.

They'll fill you in.  If you know how to contact them.

They do still have the lira, though this has been changed recently:  the currency used to be a little crazy to get your head around ie. always in millions.  They've knocked a few zero's off the demonination to make it easier to er, spend.

ps.  Never say "Orospor choo-choo"  to a Turkish man, maybe he'll kill you.

Duma

• forum hero
#3 Turkey
April 13, 2006, 02:42:18 pm
duplicate...

Duma

• forum hero
#4 Turkey
April 13, 2006, 02:46:00 pm
got back monday - its awesome! physced (sp?) for routes again. prob not too much there for you if you climb 8b and up but otherwise....  great routes, weather, food, craic, people.... not that cheap (for out of europe, petrol at ~£1.10!), and no bouldering really, though I had some fun at the sea cliff venue (think its called ankyarlar) on the sea smoothed sections. Everyone we met was really friendly, couldn't have asked for a better trip really - though 1 week isn't enough. Better to go for longer, as flights aren't that cheap esp. if you're used to paying £20 to get to spain!

Go!

Oh yeah, its Hot! don't bother during July/August you'll melt.
Other tips - A lot of places take Euros, including Josito (the camp), who'll organise transfers to and from the airport. Watch the potholes - we put dents in two wheel rims.
Re fuel - the camp hires out gas stoves dead cheap - you're only charged for the gas used. (we didn't bother - they do great food inc. breakfast and packed lunches)
There's an in situ slackline by the bar! My slacklining improved far more than my climbing...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal