UKBouldering.com

final cut express problems. (Read 2513 times)

chappers

• forum hero
final cut express problems.
March 20, 2006, 09:17:50 pm
when trying to "capture" video from my DV camera using fire wire using any of the three capture methods i get the same error message:
"dropped frames were detected during the last capture attempt"

what the buggery does this mean?? i never had this problem (with the exact same footage as i have used on imovie) before.

chappers

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1 final cut express problems.
March 20, 2006, 09:48:05 pm
Dropped frames are where the computer doesn't save all the 24 frames a second that camera is sending down the firewire cable, if it fails to save a couple for what ever reason it 'drops' them and continues on. The odd one won't seriously effect quality, but if a lot are being dropped the footage will be corrupt and probably won't play. If it does play you may notice it being a bit jerky.

Are you using the same computer/firewire port/cable/tape and camera?

Dropped frames can be a result of any of these developing a fault. The easiest/cheapest thing to rule out is the cable and port, a dodgy connection can cause frames to drop. Try swapping cables or using the other firewire port if you have two.

Also, have you succesfully use FCX before? Have you installed all the updates?

Finally, failing all that you should be able to drag any DV files directly from iMovie to FCX, so if you continue to have a problem with FCX you could use iMovie to import and FCX to edit.

chappers

• forum hero
#2 final cut express problems.
March 21, 2006, 11:49:35 am
the copy of FCX i am using was burned for me by yossarian, it is edition 2.
on a cdr, is there a way i can get it to operate without the disk in?
how do i get updates sorted, off the interweb?

the main problem i can imagine is with the camera, it has been in the repair shop twice in the last few months. the cable is brand new, as is the power book.
good idea importing using imovie, its just not as precise with start/end of capture frames.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 final cut express problems.
March 22, 2006, 10:21:05 am
Quote from: "chappers"
the copy of FCX i am using was burned for me by yossarian, it is edition 2.
on a cdr, is there a way i can get it to operate without the disk in?
how do i get updates sorted, off the interweb?

Normally you can get small updates automatically from 'system preferances'-'software update', and as FCX is Apple software it should be there. If it isn't you can get it from...

http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/download/fce203.html but you'll need an AppleID and serial number. Sounds like this might sort your problem....
What's New in Final Cut Express 2.0.3

The Final Cut Express 2.0.3 update fixes an issue with some cameras caused by conflicts between timecode breaks and dropped frames, resulting in incomplete capture. It also improves QuickTime movie export when there is blank video in a sequence. Final Cut Express 2.0.3 is strongly recommended for all users of Final Cut Express 2.

Quote from: "chappers"
good idea importing using imovie, its just not as precise with start/end of capture frames.
Why do you need to be so precise during capture? Isn't it easier just to trim the clip to the right frame after capture?

Lostboy

• regular
#4 final cut express problems.
March 24, 2006, 10:54:19 am
There can be various other ways of stopping frames being dropped, I had this same problem on some of the footage from the last film I made, whilst doing some research into the reasons I found that certain things such as room temperature can also have an effect.  Sounds crazy but it can help. there is a forum called dvcreators.net, I think, which has lots of info on FC worth checking out

chappers

• forum hero
#5 final cut express problems.
March 25, 2006, 07:55:53 pm
thanks boys. ill use the ole imovie for the import then move the files across myself. its bloody well confusing to try and learn how to use, got a book but it is no help so ill be getting my 20 quid back for that!
ill report back with future problems, no doubt there will be some!!

chappers

• forum hero
#6 final cut express problems.
March 31, 2006, 09:26:21 am
you mac boys may be interested to know...if you go on their web shop, there is a phone number to call for the mac shop for further education. if you are, or know a student you are entitled to quite a sizeable discount.
just got the full version of FCE-HD for 80squid as opposed to the 200 in shop.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal