UKBouldering.com

"there is not enough disk free space" (Read 9513 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
"there is not enough disk free space"
March 15, 2006, 07:23:18 pm
Trying to copy a 10 mb mp3 to my laptop- it keeps saying there is no space left, despite there being 134 mb left! Any help?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#1 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 15, 2006, 07:42:56 pm
are you sure its 10mb?

andy_e

• forum hero
#2 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 15, 2006, 07:45:05 pm
Well, it's coming from a USB stick which is only 128 mb...

underground

• forum hero
#3 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 15, 2006, 08:01:05 pm
So it could well be much larger than 10mb then andi...? :roll:  It may be that the location it is being copied to is too small.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 15, 2006, 08:48:06 pm
It's not advisable to fill your hard drive right to the brim, strange things may happen.

Anyway Andi, aren't you running win 98? if so then I wouldn't trust a thing it says, it's the shittest OS i've ever used.

nik at work

• forum hero
#5 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 15, 2006, 09:45:38 pm
I see your Win 98 and raise you Win ME.
Show your cards or fold sucker...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 15, 2006, 09:55:49 pm
:lol:

I've heard ME is fucking pants, but I've never used it so "the shittest OS i've ever used" still stands, so na na! :P

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#7 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 15, 2006, 11:37:43 pm
Theres really no excuse stilll using shit OS's/computers at home...Dell are selling PC's and laptops  :shock:  from £299 inc VAT and delivery. Ok, they are gonna be basic and a Dell  :?, but it's gotta be better than Win98/ME on a computer from the ark.  And no whingeing your 'too broke to spend £300', just cut back on chalk/beer/food for a month or two...you never know you might improve your climbing at the same time!  

I always wanted to congratulate the sole Microsoft employee with a sense of humour who named the shittest OS they ever made (ME) after a Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Always seemed hugely appropriate to me.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 15, 2006, 11:47:11 pm
Wasn't ME based on 98?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#9 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 05:52:10 am
I loved ME over 98 back in the day

nik at work

• forum hero
#10 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 07:55:01 am
It is a simple process to 'upgrade' from 98 to ME, and you don't need any discs or anything. Simply turn your computer off and the back on again 12.6 seconds before you want to save anything.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#11 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 09:30:27 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
Wasn't ME based on 98?

The way I understood it was Win2000 was basically a posher front end for the relatively stable WinNT but although WinME looked similar to Win2000 it was based on Win98 and was rushed out with plenty of bugs, just enough to slow machines down to a crawl, and crash regularly.

Ahh how we miss the good old days of BSODs at least once a day.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#12 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 09:33:02 am
Quote from: "Jim"
I loved ME back in the day
 :shock: Keep yer dirty antics to yourself Jim.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#13 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 09:36:51 am
The way I understood it was Win2000 was basically a posher front end for the relatively stable WinNT but although WinME looked similar to Win2000 it was based on Win98 and was rushed out with plenty of bugs, just enough to slow machines down to a crawl, and crash regularly.

Ahh how we miss the good old days of BSODs at least once a day.

Win2k is WinNT with the HAL of ME, which was an appalling strain of 98se. It was basically NT PnP and of course, it paved the way to Windows SexWee.

BSODs (Blue screens of death) were a legacy of NT land, and I quite miss them!

Beta's and RC's of Vista have started to land here, and it looks good. IE7 includes RSS feeds for instance, and aeroglass is cool.

andy_e

• forum hero
#14 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 09:37:27 am
Quote from: "Obi-Wan is lost..."
'too broke to spend £300'

With my current income of £5/week, that'll take 60 weeks to save up enough smackeroos....

Well, the file went on eventually, after having uninstalled one or two things i probably shouldn't have done... which is fine as long as my dad doesn't use it. :wink:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#15 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 09:44:46 am
Quote from: "andi_e"
Quote from: "Obi-Wan is lost..."
'too broke to spend £300'

With my current income of £5/week, that'll take 60 weeks to save up enough smackeroos....
Just sell your body for drug research, £150 a day, I hear it's safe as houses.  :shock:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#16 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 09:46:34 am
Quote from: "dobbin"
Beta's and RC's of Vista have started to land here, and it looks good. IE7 includes RSS feeds for instance, and aeroglass is cool.

I'm not going to mess with Vista until at least SP1 unless a miracle has happened and MS have released a secure OS out of the box.

Doubt I'll go back to IE either unless there's a good reason to do so, ie it can do what Firefox can't.

Any idea how standards compliant it is?

andy_e

• forum hero
#17 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 09:46:51 am
:lol:

only feeling as if your head will explode... I can deal with that. And as for ripping shirts off, I do it all the time when I'm climbing  :wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#18 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 10:06:37 am
That sounds well nasty - I used to do lots of experiments at the Hallamshire when I were a doley. I've had many a balloon inflated up my arse and needle poked into my sphincter.....those were the days <sigh>

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#19 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 10:16:49 am
apparently one of their heads swelled up to 3x normal size! imagine that! an absolutely massive heid.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#20 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 10:28:30 am
apparently one of their heads swelled up to 3x normal size! imagine that! an absolutely massive heid.

Not the best anti-inflammatory in the world then. Must have looked like a ward full of William Haig clones.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#21 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 11:13:44 am
I've had many a balloon inflated up my arse and needle poked into my sphincter.....those were the days <sigh>

Blimey, and you got paid for the pleasure? There are places where you have to pay to have that done to you [apparently]  :oops:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#22 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 11:22:16 am
It was a strange time, but I was a doley and they paid cash so it was great. Some of them were a bit weird, like drinking a load of radioactive soup and then lying under a huge gamma cam for hours. The tubes up the bum weren't too bad, but those down your nose were pretty nasty - one of my mates fainted as they tried to put it in :lol:

The strangest one was some American woman doctor putting electrode pads all around my genitalia and then trying to stick a catheter down my japper. It stang so much I had to abandon the experiment!

Eventually I reached my radiation limit and had stop doing them, but it was good while it lasted.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#23 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 11:27:20 am
Some of them were a bit weird, like drinking a load of radioactive soup and then lying under a huge gamma cam for hours.

Me and Mark Turnbull did that one, up at the Northern General! He was sick as a dog afterwards!

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#24 "there is not enough disk free space"
March 16, 2006, 10:07:14 pm

I'm not going to mess with Vista until at least SP1 unless a miracle has happened and MS have released a secure OS out of the box.

Doubt I'll go back to IE either unless there's a good reason to do so, ie it can do what Firefox can't.

Any idea how standards compliant it is?

Its looking pretty good at the moment - Ive had a few problems installing 3rd party software but no worse than w2k was when that was released. The latest RC was apparently functionally complete so I'll get that one put on when I have a chance.

Its basically been completely re-written from the ground up ( new file system, new develpment platform) so I'll be giving it a good hammering before I use it in any production environment.

IE7 is ok - firefox is better. Dont change

What standards are you thinking about?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal