UKBouldering.com

hook upz (Read 2996 times)

dave

hook upz
April 30, 2003, 09:16:22 am
Alright Gs, its time to give me the 9-11 on ISPs.

Me and her indoors have just got a computer fo' tha crib, and naturally we need to get on t'interweb (its not as if 7.5 hours a day at work isn't enough). Thinking of getting broadband ting in the longterm, but in the time being we're gonna need some 56k wire action hook up. Generally gonna be using it off-peak (evening and weekend), and would prefer to not be tied down to a long amount of time with a single ISP. So who do you bitches use? And more importantly, are they any good, cheapest etc, who can you recommend?

Cheers ears.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 hook upz
April 30, 2003, 09:20:37 am
I use claranet - not the cheapest but there's no cutoff time so you can leave it downloading choons overnight, etc. You get 360 hours p/month.

But, you'll probably be best just getting an off-peak package - have a look at http://www.net4nowt.com for details of millions of packages.

Countdown to broadband for me = 84 days  :cry:

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
#2 hook upz
April 30, 2003, 09:26:45 am
Get yourself on Broadband .. Currently my 'puter been connected since Saturday and having no problem on cut off! (Best is 2 weeks running without cut off)

Oh I only pay £20 a month for 600kps service.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#3 hook upz
April 30, 2003, 09:34:46 am
I used to be on BTinternet anytime which was £14.99 a month and seemed to be ok. I did get booted off fairly regularly but to be honest I think that goes with the territory where dialing into a POP.

I moved to Pipex Dial for my DSL connection which I pay £23.44 a month for. Thats not a damn sight more for a whole lot better performance.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 hook upz
April 30, 2003, 09:44:19 am
Yeah, broadband is now so cheap it's worth the extra fiver / tenner a month just to avoid the massive piss-taking frustration of being tied to dial-up account.

It's one thing if you've never known any better but when you're on a T3 line at work, it grates a bit doing anything from home.

Mike_H

• menacing presence
#5 hook upz
April 30, 2003, 09:52:07 am
As everyone else has said - don't bother with dial up go straight for broadband and you will never look back.

I use BT and haven't had any complaints with them at all, and they are that good they are still only charging me the same price as the BT Anytime package I was on.

Not that I'm complaining  :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 hook upz
April 30, 2003, 09:57:16 am
If you can get cable, then go for that as in general, people seem happier with cable than with ADSL, but it depends what you can get in your area.

dave

#7 hook upz
April 30, 2003, 10:05:52 am
I think the bitch who owned our crib before us had her phone, cable TV and tinternet though some kinda Telewest cable thing that comes in through the cellar and is traipsed about the house (always wanted to use that word in a post). Might look into that.

Tempted to go for a local-rate pay-as-you-go at first though (for a month maybe) cos to be honest i don't know how much we're gonna wanna use it at home really, cos we're both on at work, i don't wanna get broadband at home and then feel like i've got to spend all my life on the computer just to get me moneysworth.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 hook upz
April 30, 2003, 10:08:43 am
It's worth it for the music, movies, and warez you can download - never buy a cd again....

dave

#9 hook upz
April 30, 2003, 10:24:56 am
Cheers for the input guys, I'll certainly look into Broadband for the near future, but at like £30 a month i think right now I think we'll go cheap old-fashioned initially, at least till i suss out where the best deals are.

Keep any more suggestion coming though. Bo selecta.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#10 hook upz
April 30, 2003, 10:28:35 am
and you can host your own webpages, photos etc. Not sure this is strictly within the t&c's of connection contracts but its useful.

dave

#11 hook upz
April 30, 2003, 07:07:32 pm
Yo yo yo this is your main man Davey-P cummin at ya straight outta Walkley, in da house. Me hooked up big-time onto da hinternet and ting, innit? I'm rollin wi my shit off safety. Me gots a dead cheap hookup going - trick is to get yo' biatch to pay off her creditcard, don't cost me a penny.

not at work so its web unlimited!

Can ya gi me REWIND.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 hook upz
April 30, 2003, 07:22:29 pm
Welcome to the joys of a poxy dialup account  :)

I'm currently halfway through the marathon that is vacuuming the entire fucking house, then it's off to the gym to tread the machines like a labrat.

God, I'm so fuckin' rock and roll....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal