UKBouldering.com

Eating/Diet book for whilst you're training (Read 5780 times)

squeek

• junky
I'm interested in getting a book that tells you what you should be eating and when.  I don't want to lose any weight, but am interested in what you're supposed to eat when you're training, or resting, and at what times of the day you should eat.  Eating is mentioned in some training articles, but only in passing and it's never delved into or explained fully.

I don't one that verges on degree biology either.  Anyone read one, or know of something similar?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
yeah man, I think thats a great idea. Eric Horst's Flash Training diet section is pretty good. But no training book will ever assert a suggested diet plan I've noticed. Whether or not this is to do with legal matters in some twisted way I don't know, but a range of suggested weekly diet plans would go down well. Make sure you're getting plenty of omega three oils in your diet whatever plan you follow. My joints feel much better for eating a fish -rich diet over the last few months.

tobym

• menacing presence
Squeek,
the trouble with such books, is that the vast majority of them, are too much influenced by the opinion of the author(understandably), which is often not based on scientific evidence, but misheld beliefs etc, TFC touches on it, but Horst bases very little of his writing on solid evidence, Clyde Soles' book (Climbing: Training for Peak Performance, or summat)has a slightly more comprehensive chapter on it,though,

Toby

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
FOAM / Blondie is an expert in these matters, pm him?

Yossarian

• forum hero
I find the River Cottage Meat Book helps me to come up with suitable high protein meals.  Nose to Tail Eating (Fergus Henderson) is also very good.  As far as hydration is concerned I usually use Hugh Johnson's Wine Companion, or Michael Jackson's Whisky - A Definitive World Guide.
Anwer Bati's Cigar Companion is also useful if you are interested in the use of herbal supplements...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Generally I find the menu for the Everest, Wild Rice, or the Bahn Thai, to be the most effective literature on appropriate training nutrition.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
my opinion from past years, when i was obviously dealing with a rather serious alimenteay disorder:
the crucial point is to avoid bad fats, like fried oil or butter, too much meat and stuff. aside from that, basically everything works. avoiding refined sugars and carbo also does well. i use cane sugar, try to eat brown bread, but am very comfy with pasta!!!
lots of veggy too.

the most important thing i learned from my years of nutritional toil: if you eat too much controlled, your metabolism will adapt to the income supplied, and will no longer tolerate even the slightest abuse. more, if you eat a bit too less, your body will adapt to the new income cutting off lean tissue (muscles), that burn energy, and replacing it with fat tissue, that doesnt need calories. so, you lose wheight but grow fatter in percentage, and weaker. its called "famine effect".

so, basically the more you eat, the more your body absorb only your needs and throw away the rest. of course you cant exceed.
i try to eas as much as i need to feel strong, train, surf.

just my 2 cents.
2 cent of Euro i mean.

LongMonkey

• player
Why not try 'The Abs Diet':

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1405087978/qid=1141314047/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-9605635-5523824

Don't be put off by the name. It sets out a sensible eating plan with a background/explination to why the foods are included, and a training schedule. I only made slight changes to how/what I ate and have followed the training for 8 weeks (last week this week!). If you incorporate this into climbing you'd see results.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
Quote from: "SA Chris"
FOAM / Blondie is an expert in these matters, pm him?

Christ, it's amazing that that joke is still funny after 18 months :roll:

SA Chris

• forum hero
Good to see you've still retained that sense of humour we all love. :shock:

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
:lol:

Ah well. I eat 5 times a day, usually reasonable amounts as well, but of fairly healthy stuff. Lots of fruit, vegetables, lean meat (chicked, fish), lots of potatoes, brown bread, milkshakes, cereal, flapjack, nuts, yoghurt. Try, and am usually reaosnably successful, to not eat any shit (chocolate bars, crisps, takeaways etc) my only real food vice being fizzy drinks.

I think the success to diets and dieting is just common sense really. I mean you list the pros and cons of every food product on the planet and you can always eat healthier if you really want to. But basically I eat when I feel hungry; trying to eat low levels of saturated fat, lots of lean protein rich meat, lots of carbs and tons of fruit and veg, and my weight has remained reasonably static for the past year. It's currently hovering around 11,10.

andy_e

• forum hero
I weigh eight and a half stone, and my diet is one of pure shite. The meals are relatively healthy, but the snacking in between isn't. I eat crisps, chocolate, anything to hand really, And far too much cola, but hey, I haven't gained any weight in about a year!

webbo

• forum hero
Quote from: "andi_e"
I weigh eight and a half stone, and my diet is one of pure shite.

and they say you are what you eat  :lol:

SA Chris

• forum hero
I eat crisps, chocolate, anything to hand really, And far too much cola, but hey, I haven't gained any weight in about a year!

Enjoy that while you can, it wont last forever. A desk job and a diet like that would blimp me out very quickly (not that I am particulary unblimpy at the moment).

Stubbs

Quote from: "Fingers of a Martyr"
:lol:

Ah well. I eat 5 times a day, usually reasonable amounts as well, but of fairly healthy stuff. Lots of fruit, vegetables, lean meat (chicked, fish), lots of potatoes, brown bread, milkshakes, cereal, flapjack, nuts, yoghurt. Try, and am usually reaosnably successful, to not eat any shit (chocolate bars, crisps, takeaways etc) my only real food vice being fizzy drinks.

I thought you were a student? My student budget stretched to meat about twice a week if i was lucky!

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
Quote from: "webbo"
I weigh eight and a half stone, and my diet is one of pure shite.

and they say you are what you eat  :lol:

LMAO :lol:

I'm in my last year of A-levels stubbs, does that make me a student? I dunno, lol, but I don't have to pay for my own food, well not much of it, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal