UKBouldering.com

Advice needed about my woody (Read 3645 times)

Dirty Passion Monkey

Advice needed about my woody
February 26, 2006, 12:31:25 pm
I'm looking at building a board in my house but the only space I have to put one is in my bedroom.  I have space for roughly a 7 foot square board, but first and after seeing pics of some of the quality boards you guys have bodged together I have a coupla questions.

Firstlyand most paramount,  my room is upstairs. Do any of you guys have a board in an upstairs room? will it be a problem in terms of popping off stuff with a thump.  Will a coupla mattreses and my pad be sufficient in protecting the floor and ceiling below?

Also, I want the angle to be adjustable so am thinking probably attaching it by chains to bolts in the wall with maillon rapides, is this a sound idea.  How does the bottom of the board sit/pivot with the floor in terms of changing the anlgle  It is a main load bearing wall before anyone asks.

Thanks in advance guys, am fresh back from a appalingly wet and snowy week in cresciano and really psyched to push my training up a notch.

Ben

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Advice needed about my woody
February 26, 2006, 02:02:42 pm
Dense used to have a board in his bedroom. You weren't allowed to fall off it cos it made a thud! for the hinge bit, screw a baton along the bottom of the board and then put a load of big hinges on it. (nb don't go to B&Q for the hinges, you will have to remortage your house, go to a local diy store and pick em up for a matter of pence each). there are different methods for an adjustable board but in a bedroom I wouldn't bother, just make it as steep as possible

bigphil

• menacing presence
#2 Advice needed about my woody
February 26, 2006, 05:38:35 pm
I used to have a board in my attic and a matress and my pad worked fine.  I needed to worry more about the lack of a banister across where the stairs went down.  The one time I did fall off without a mat down I broke a floorboard but that didn't take much to fix.

dave

#3 Advice needed about my woody
February 26, 2006, 09:29:27 pm
i woulnd't comment on how safe an upstairs board is without knowing the state of the house itself. if you are woried you can always reinforce it by putting down a sheet of ply on MDF on the floor under your mattress etc to spread the load out and ensure you don't break a floorboard.

Dirty Passion Monkey

#4 Advice needed about my woody
February 26, 2006, 09:41:34 pm
thanks for the advice guys.  A question about Jim's idea if the hinges tho.  What are they connected to - is the baton on the bottom of the board and then the hinges connecting the baton and the floor?  Surely if this is the case  then the baton has to pivot on the floor as opposed to the board itself, would this work with a square bit lumber? Or is the baton screwed into the floor and the hinges connecting the baton and the board?  This seems like a better idea to me. does this give enough strength to the board at the base?  It has to be adjustable really as i'd like to be able to store it upright sometimes.

Ta again, much appreciated.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#5 Advice needed about my woody
February 27, 2006, 06:57:06 am
put a batton on the bottom of the main board and a batton on top of your kickboard or on the floor, now put hinges between the two. Tagos

Dirty Passion Monkey

#6 Advice needed about my woody
February 27, 2006, 06:20:10 pm
cheers Jim, sounds like a good idea.  Another query, have been pricing up materials today and wondering about the plywood.  brazil ply is 5 quid more than spruce ply.  Does it matter which i use?  Also the chain itself seems to be expsensive (at B&Q anyway), anyone have any ideas where i can get a few meters of load bearing chain cheap?

benwa

chappers

• forum hero
#7 Advice needed about my woody
February 27, 2006, 08:05:37 pm
dont ever buy anything in B+Q, go to the local builders merchants. they will have all you need for less money. for sure.
hinge idea is mint, i was thinking about changing my board to use a similar thing and thought this...use quality/sturdy hinges, the force exerted on them could break some shite ones (im no scientist).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Advice needed about my woody
February 28, 2006, 08:10:57 am
Quote from: "chappers"
dont ever buy anything in B+Q, go to the local builders merchants. they will have all you need for less money. for sure.

Plus you will be supporting a local business, not some multinational, but ultimately clueless and useless, organisation,

Dirty Passion Monkey

#9 Advice needed about my woody
March 02, 2006, 05:11:34 pm
cheers everyone, some top tips there.  please divulge any other pearls of wisdom as they come to u.  

Easy all,
Ben

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#10 Advice needed about my woody
March 16, 2006, 02:44:35 pm
Always go to B&Q for a look though!  I have to agree that they really are the stupidest company I have ever dealt with. The guy working on returns the other day couldn't have been over 17... it cracked me up. However, the reason I say to go for a look is they often have things for way way cheaper than you realise. Just the other day I got a killer deal on a drill for example. I noticed it was lying in it's box, but away from the other drills, so I picked it up, went to compare it to the rest of the drills they have on sale, and figured this one would be about £70. I thought I'd ask... so went to a cashier and asked to which she replied "it's £15.98". My brother and I burst out laughing only to then immediately contain our laughter until we'd actually paid and left. So, due to some strange pricing error, I got a £70 drill for £15.98. Amazing. This isn't the first time something like this has happened either, I once got a £30 lamp for £7. and for some board pics, i just built one in my garage, pics on the relevant thread...

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#11 Advice needed about my woody
March 17, 2006, 09:52:46 am
For those inept at searching, he means here

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal