UKBouldering.com

About Australia and New Zeeland (Read 3025 times)

jonas

• regular
  • gajin
    • Tusen tranor
About Australia and New Zeeland
February 23, 2006, 02:19:15 pm
Sorry for such posting such an ignorant question, but I'm basically clueless when it comes to climbing in Australia and New Zeeland

I'm based in Japan for the time being, and I've figured I can take 10-14 days of vacation any time during may-august. I'd like to go to New Zeeland or Australia to boulder, so when an where would you suggest I go?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1 About Australia and New Zeeland
February 23, 2006, 03:20:34 pm
Check this thread, it has lots of info on both destinations: http://ukbouldering.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3278&start=0

saltbeef

• forum hero
#2 About Australia and New Zeeland
February 23, 2006, 03:24:32 pm
sory to hijack your thread jonas. but have you been out much in japan? probably heading there in the summer, june/july time? is it worth the effort to bring a pad etc, or should i just hang out and eat sushi?

jonas

• regular
  • gajin
    • Tusen tranor
#3 About Australia and New Zeeland
February 23, 2006, 03:58:39 pm
Quote from: "Bonjoy"
Check this thread, it has lots of info on both destinations: http://ukbouldering.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=3278&start=0

Thanks! I know of the famous places like Castle Hill and Grampians, but what I'm after is more when to go where, and then start to research from there.

Quote from: "saltbeef"
sory to hijack your thread jonas. but have you been out much in japan? probably heading there in the summer, june/july time? is it worth the effort to bring a pad etc, or should i just hang out and eat sushi?

I came to Japan in September last year, so I have not suffered a Japanese full on summer yet, but from what I've heard June is rainy season, and July might be well hot.

Ogawayama is the "Yosemite of Japan" with granite routes up to 9 (broken) pitches, and some high-quality bouldering on granite boulders mostly around the campsite/ryokan. The rock is excellent and I did some really nice problems during my two hours visit this autumn. Problems from really easy to 8b.

The campsite is at 1600 m high so I guess it wouldn't be to hot in June/July, but it might be to wet. According to my topo the season is may-october. Check out http://www.ogawayama.com/ for more info.

Horai is of course also very very good. But I don't know, do you fancy pulling on one-finger pockets in subtropical heat? Problems from well hard up to 8b+/c

saltbeef

• forum hero
#4 About Australia and New Zeeland
February 23, 2006, 04:22:19 pm
that doesn't sound so appealing. i'm no expert but castle hill may be snowy then, gramps and stuff should be ok, cold ie proper cold at night. so take warm cloths. the only problem is likely to be the rain
which it does do alot

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#5 About Australia and New Zeeland
February 23, 2006, 09:23:46 pm
The Gramps will be subject to the joys of the Victorian winter which is basically the same as an English winter ie it rains all the time. Your best bet is to do a tour of Sydney/NSW bouldering as in August the weather is usually mint.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#6 About Australia and New Zeeland
February 24, 2006, 08:46:31 am
We were in the Gramps May 2003 and the weather was fine, occasional rain but nothing to prolonged. From June on i'd agree with Carnage, your best bet would be Sydney area.

StefanH

#7 About Australia and New Zeeland
February 24, 2006, 10:14:40 am
I went bouldering in the Gramps in July a couple of years ago. Really good weather and bouldering. The Sydney bouldering is also of high quality and should be good in July/August.
Also been to Castle Hill both in July and October and it was good both times, maybe a bit of rain/snow in July but I still had a couple of fantastic sunny days with +10 degrees. Check out the webcam/weatherstation at http://www.castlehill.net.nz/ for weather statistics (temp, rain windspeed etc), it also has a listing of houses to rent. Not that expensive actually.
Duntroon (NZ), Wellington (NZ) and Waiheke (NZ) also have some nice bouldering.

Kör hårt, e-posta mig om du vill veta mer, holm.s på mail.com

jonas

• regular
  • gajin
    • Tusen tranor
#8 About Australia and New Zeeland
February 27, 2006, 05:42:50 am
Thanks for the info guys!

Stefan, lustigt att man fick bästa infon från en svensk! Skulle alltså ha postat på bloxc istället. :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal