UKBouldering.com

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (Read 3463 times)

FatWrinkly

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
February 08, 2006, 10:36:06 pm
Three fingers on left hand now almost totally numb .. anybody else suffered .. and if so how did you recover?

tobym

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
February 09, 2006, 11:54:17 am
Quote from: "FatWrinkly"
Three fingers on left hand now almost totally numb .. anybody else suffered .. and if so how did you recover?

yep, I usually give patients this leaflet:
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068696/

apart from overtraining, spending to much time using a computer mouse is a major causative factor, so reducing the duration of time you use one for, looking into ergonomic mice etc are all worth doing, make sure you don't have any medical conditions that might need treating (e.g. thyroid disease, diabetes, pregnancy :wink: , etc.
Will often resolve with rest +/- NSAIDs like ibuprofen etc.
Steroid injections quite effective but not something I'd consider 1st line.

The splint/supports mentioned in that leaflet would be something like the last but one on this page:
http://skfservices.com/acatalog/Wrist_Supports.html

othwise known as a "cock-up" or working splint

FatWrinkly

#2 Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
February 09, 2006, 02:38:23 pm
I am thinking if I get the op it should sort it out once and for all .. would that be correct?

tobym

• menacing presence
#3 Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
February 09, 2006, 09:15:26 pm
I've not really seen many people who've had it done, and certainly no climbers, I expect the orthopods will say that hand strength/stability isn't affected, but the op consists of having the flexor retinaculum cut right through (the tendinous band across the carpal tunnel):

...must say, wouldn't fancy it myself.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#4 Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
February 10, 2006, 10:24:38 am
spotted these on another forum. supposed to be good fun and also rehabilitating. check em out
http://www.powerballs.com/benefits_rehab.php
might have to get one

FatWrinkly

#5 Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
February 10, 2006, 12:58:29 pm
Many thanks .. look cool will try it out!

Akasteve

#6 Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
February 14, 2006, 07:36:13 pm
Hi,

When i got CTS the doctors said it was nothing to do with RSI/ Climbing/ video games/ work etc they said it just happened to certain people, if you were susceptable to it you'd get it but certain things would just aggravate it.
I had nerve conductivity tests to see where the compression was to check it was CTS but it took about 4months to get these done so if you haven't seen a doctor yet then get booked in 'cos it's not quick.
I tried splints which worked for a good few months( my fingers only went dead at night and woke me up almost every one of them).
I had no loss in strength but suffered the night and day after climbing with the worst numbness.
I had an injection in the palm of my hand which hurt, totally deaded your finger for 4 hrs but worked for about 6 months and then eventually i had the operation.
The operation lasted about 7 min and is done under local and doesn't hurt as much as a going to the dentists and even once the anaesthetic wears off if you load up on paracetamol the aches are not bad.
I was back on the climbing wall about a month after, taking it very steady, you won't be able to over do it 'cos your hand will be sore and doing any mantel shelf type moves will be uncomfortable for about 3months.
Am i glad i had it done? Definately, my fingers felt better almost as soon as the anaesthetic wore off. You don't realise how much it has affected you until the nerve is released and you can get  full nights sleep again.

Steve

FatWrinkly

#7 Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
November 02, 2006, 07:06:10 pm
got the left one done in July and fully recovered by mid October, complete success. Just had right one done today as well.

widdop

• addict
#8 Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
November 06, 2006, 12:50:53 am
blacksmiths and farriers seem to suffer more than most trades, with cts,and i am one, it hasn't affected my clI'mbing im still as poor.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal