UKBouldering.com

Rings... tc?? (Read 4457 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Rings... tc??
January 14, 2006, 11:19:08 am
tc... I think you talked about setting up some rings at home this year.  Just curious.. have you got around to it yet and if so, where you did you get them from and how did you fix them up in the home?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#1 Rings... tc??
January 14, 2006, 07:50:58 pm
I too would be interested in this info

Tim Heaton

• addict
#2 Rings... tc??
January 15, 2006, 12:11:42 pm
I don't think it is too difficult to make your own. There are instructions at this link:

http://www.crossfit.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=next&topic=26&page=10182

Hope that is what you are looking for,

Tim

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3 Rings... tc??
January 19, 2006, 09:38:03 am
Thanks for the link Tim - useful - I shall have a try when it's chucking it down with rain sometime.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#4 Rings... tc??
January 19, 2006, 07:35:38 pm
be careful club kids. I bought some rings of that there tinternet and whilst they can be a useful training aid its easy to fuck yourself up using them badly.

You need to spend plenty of time acclimatising and ideally get a training video.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#5 Rings... tc??
January 20, 2006, 06:29:34 am
What were you using them for dobbin?
I only want them for doing pull ups to save my elbows

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#6 Rings... tc??
January 20, 2006, 01:17:01 pm
You'll be fine then Jimskins, for pull ups and dips the rings are unparalleled.

I got injured attempting an iron cross with poor technique. I managed to hold it with my feet on a box out in front and started working on getting it unsupported, however - jimnasts ( :wink: ) dont drop straight through the rings, you turn them outwards as you drop, so the wrist rests on the bottom of the ring. This shortens the lever and therefore makes it easier.

I have only just started using them again. And I will be spending more time getting up to speed with them this time round.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#7 Rings... tc??
January 20, 2006, 02:14:19 pm
Good knowledge Dobbin... There's also a lot to do with shoulder position as well (so I'm told) like they should always be low rather than up toward the ears..

Toad

• regular
#8 Rings... tc??
January 20, 2006, 03:08:35 pm
I'm skinny and weak and need building up a bit, so thought I would try making a set of rings… How do you go about setting these up? i.e. how far off the ground should they be, and how far from the ceiling should they be dangling?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#9 Rings... tc??
January 20, 2006, 03:30:09 pm
that my friend is the main problem with the rings - room.

Ideally you want them to be at about head height, but with sufficient room above them so that you can hang from them with your head pointing towards the ground and your feet towards the sky. Your feet shouldnt touch anything, and fairly obviously, neither should your head!

if you live in a barn or something you will have loads of room and I expect either to see you in physio nursing a hideous injury or striding around the crags doing one arm side levers like john gill.

Toad

• regular
#10 Rings... tc??
January 20, 2006, 03:53:13 pm
Thanks for your help Dobbin. Will have a word with a friendly farmer and see if I can use some barn space coz my ceilings are only 7'  :(  For the time being though, I will carry on learning the front lever and the planche. Have included a link for learning both if it's of interest…

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/
[/code]

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal