UKBouldering.com

El Cogul (Read 3830 times)

BenF

• forum hero
El Cogul
December 21, 2005, 08:37:09 am
Anyone got any knowledge on this place in North Eastern Spain?  Some mates are heading there early next year and I reckon I'll drag myself along too, but I know nothing about it at the moment.  

I had a brief text conversation with Mick Adams last night who described it as slopey like Font with crozzly sandstone pockets.  He also said that the logistics were all pretty cool (ie distance from airport and accomodation) but didn't say much more, in typical Mick understated style.  I guess it's pretty good because Mick coming along and he usually has his finger on the pulse (except where it comes to climbing at Rubicon), but does anyone know any more?  It's gonna be dry in February over there too I guess?

It's a long shot, but anyone know of any topos for the place?

Thanks in advance.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1 El Cogul
December 21, 2005, 11:10:55 am
Did a quick search, but as hinted at by TreeBeard, little joy.

May be worth emailing this guy http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=156087 as he says he lives close by?

Or you could always PM PercyB as well. I'm sure he wouldn't mind!

BenF

• forum hero
#2 El Cogul
December 21, 2005, 12:07:47 pm
Hi Simon,

Yeah I saw the UKC thread, but just thought I'd see if anyone had any other beta that was accessible quickly to give me something to think about.

Mick gave me a reasonable intro to the place but since I'd not heard of it until last week I thought I'd see what came up from a post on here...

See you over the weekend I guess huh?

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#3 El Cogul
December 21, 2005, 09:20:23 pm
Yes indeedy Mr F. Looking forward to Friday weather looks ok for Peak or N Wales so can't wait!

gaby

#4 El Cogul
February 28, 2006, 02:08:21 pm
Well, check this link http://www.zebloc.com and go to the videos page... There is a Cogul Movie...

Dyl

#5 El Cogul
March 02, 2006, 11:21:16 pm
Ye been there and it was good, everything you want cool problems and kind for the skin.We drove from Siurana, it took about 50 min. Its worth a visit. I was their for 1 day only, but was class.look at this link http://www.tielma.com/news.aspx?lan=0&communityid=1&newsid=268&page=0
Do the Dyno, L'albagés 7C+ it was a nice problem,crimps and slopers,what else can you ask for?

They have the guide book in the campsite in Siurana if you need to look at one?not for sale but it will give you a rough idea.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#6 Re: El Cogul
April 21, 2006, 09:10:27 pm
For a good rough guide (and probably the best article so far featured in said publication) see this months Friction.

BenF

• forum hero
#7 Re: El Cogul
April 22, 2006, 07:54:00 am
Since this thread has resurfaced, I'll add a quick tuppence worth now I've been there.

A good little area, certainly worth a 3-4 day trip, possibly combined with the sports climbing at Siurana, Monsant etc.  As Dyl said, it's got everything.  Every angle, every type of hold (except tufa I suppose).  Very quiet place too, we only met a handful of other climbers and all at the weekend. During the week it was empty of everyone, not just climbers. 

I'd say that you'll get the most out of this trip if you can climb font 6b and above.  There's plenty of hard projects left to climb and many of the 6b's or 6c's are clearly at least font 7a.  Like in many quiet areas, the grades are all over the place so best to ignore them.  Weather was good, very dry but sometimes too hot (even in February).  In fact the best day was a showery day (like two ten minute light showers) that stayed overcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal