UKBouldering.com

The Breck (Read 29826 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
#50 Re: The Breck
July 27, 2006, 07:34:00 pm
Big, Prawn and Cunt. And I don't want the latter to be easy to get  :wank:

#23: Cunt font 7b - easier for the sexy.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 07:41:25 pm by andi_e »

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#51 Re: The Breck
July 27, 2006, 07:40:00 pm
 :lol:

what have I spawned?!

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#52 Re: The Breck
July 30, 2006, 12:53:31 pm
Is that a top rope job, or highball?

Monolith

• forum hero
#53 Re: The Breck
July 30, 2006, 01:03:43 pm
Could be either I think, but after giving it some thought, I don't think you'd be wanting to work a problem where the last move is a dyno above fragments of glass. The bolt at the top might need a sandbagging of sorts, and a very long clipstick to reach it. Could investigate if desired.

Bromonge

#54 Re: The Breck
August 24, 2006, 08:27:20 pm
I could give you a list as long as your arm of putative 7A's, 6C's and various oddities on the overhanging wall dying for a repeat and forgotten in the sands of time.

But I darent go there on my own anymore. It depresses me to see the way its turned.

But it is the best crag in merseyside, no shit.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#55 Re: The Breck
November 14, 2006, 10:45:58 am
Back to the clean up. I think I've secured a generator and pressure hose...
Can anyone shed any light on when would be the best time to organise a clean up i.e. should we wait for summer or just get on with it?

And can anyone who's interested PM me.

Thanks,

Si

BenF

• forum hero
#56 Re: The Breck
November 14, 2006, 12:21:04 pm
Si, if it were anywhere else I'd help out.

No seriously, you know me and the others may get involved in a clean up but it may be worth waiting until spring I'd say.  Obviously by then Mono will be shacked up inside, training on the most talked about woodie in the world ever.

If you're at a loose end; in terms of pressing jobs for the Merseyside bouldering massive to get stuck into, you know we need to get that roof fitted at Pex before it gets too wet.  And the foam flooring below Pisa Wall.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#57 Re: The Breck
November 14, 2006, 09:54:52 pm
Sounds Like a good Idea to be Ben  :please:

Monolith

• forum hero
#58 Re: The Breck
November 14, 2006, 10:25:07 pm
Obviously by then Mono will be shacked up inside, training on the most talked about woodie in the world ever.

...but will have plenty of time to spare for ye olde Breck shitole! I'm happy to help boys, but yes as you both mention, it may be worth waiting for early Spring. Haven't been since summer, god knows what the latest industrial fallout there is!?

Fatneck, I'm free Sunday's & Monday's at present should you decide to have an impromptu effort of any shape or form.

BenF

• forum hero
#59 Re: The Breck
November 15, 2006, 08:06:05 am
Sounds Like a good Idea to be Ben  :please:

Andy, you've no idea how many people want to be me.  Most of them think it's a good idea until they actually try it.

BenF

• forum hero
#60 Re: The Breck
November 15, 2006, 08:08:09 am
But I darent go there on my own anymore.

I wouldn't go on my own if you were there Steve...

Monolith

• forum hero
#61 Re: The Breck
February 08, 2007, 05:17:43 pm
Went on Tuesday afternoon with Owen for the first time since summer. Good to see the grass has grown back since the 'famous blaze of 06' and of course there was new graffiti in abundance.

Sadly, somebody has graffed over 'Big Prawn Cunt', and the main wall has had a new tag done at the far right. We spent a while thinking about cleaning up the main wall in the coming months to work the dyno. Also realised that the two bolts (into concrete) at the top could prove useful alongside some equalised slings to leave a top rope hanging directly over the route.

This then phases out the notion (I've since realised) of doing the line as a highball, what with the dyno being the finishing move. Toothbrushes are at the ready for the coming warmer months.

Hardcore urban bouldering indeed.

tc

• junky
#62 Re: The Breck
May 27, 2007, 02:05:02 pm

Monolith

• forum hero
#63 Re: The Breck
May 27, 2007, 07:53:56 pm
Smooth moves tc.

Look forward to seeing you there in summer.

tc

• junky
#64 Re: The Breck
May 29, 2007, 04:03:11 pm
Maybe one of you guys could help the guy out who is doing the wiki and shade in the gaps in the history section for the 1980s and 1990s. Sounds like he's also keen to get the place tidied up.

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
#65 Re: The Breck
June 05, 2007, 12:08:09 pm
Alright guys, I'm a noob to climbing and bouldering. This isn't an into btw, I'll do one later. I've been looking about my local area and obviously the breck falls into it. I've spoken to a mate of mine, who has recently got back into climbing, regarding a clean-up of the breck and we are both more than willing to come along and help if a date/time is set.

I have two Karchers, so all is needed is a large water butt/water storage vessle, a genny and a few willing participants.  :bounce:

Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see whats going to be going on in the near future with regards to cleaning up the site.

Gaz   ;)

Monolith

• forum hero
#66 Re: The Breck
June 06, 2007, 12:49:40 pm
Good to see some enthusiasm for the place Gary. Not sure what you would use the pressure washers for though? If you're thinking about the paint on Granny Rock, I'm pretty sure it would have no effect. Other than some hyper toxic graffiti-removing solvents, I can't think of a suitable means to get rid of the profound 'Big Prawn Cunt' text.

Best bet concerning clean-up action is to speak to Duncan (the founder of the Breck wiki). You can message him via that site to chat further. I saw him last night actually and he's very much into setting some dates in stone rather than endlessly debating the issue.

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
#67 Re: The Breck
June 06, 2007, 12:53:10 pm
Ai, I was thinkng see if we can just blast the mess off the walls. Yeah, I've also been speaking to duncan. I'll just wait and see what happens, but whatever the case count me in :)

DrStatham

#68 Re: The Breck
June 08, 2007, 06:13:36 pm
Yo Folks, WIKI Breck here.

Well, the strimming pixies have arrived and I'm told they will be happy to continue this process over the summer.

Personally I can't be arsed with "arrangements" and "meetings" and dates... I get enough of that at work! Apologies to all democrats! So how about looking at the job list on the Wiki, adding to it, picking one that you want to do, and doing it!

Cheers Breckites

BenF

• forum hero
#69 Re: The Breck
June 12, 2007, 10:37:11 am
Good work Doctor.  I still ain't been over there despite my good intentions last week, I will do so soon though and will text you when the day finally happens. 

Met a guy at Pex last weekend and he was well fired up for helping clean up etc, he said that he climbed there a bit and liked the sound of what you'd got done so far.  Told him to check out the Wiki.

DrStatham

#70 Re: The Breck
June 12, 2007, 04:43:12 pm
Hi Y'all

Spoken to the council today and they're sending me a 'pack' for starting a Friends of the Breck group.

The procedure sounds like a pain the arse but the advantage is that we'll be able to get an official mandate from the council to do the works which will improve the climbing all round.

Also met a recently unemployed feller down there the other day who approached me offering help to tidy it up. Perhaps involving the local residents in the project will be helpful for getting adults to use it more and hence combatting the problems.

The council would probably need about six people to be involved at the start so they can see that they aren't wasting their time. I reckon we've already got that, but please log on to the wiki and register your interest in the comments thread at the bottom.

Cheers the noo

clm

• forum hero
#71 Re: The Breck
June 12, 2007, 05:08:23 pm
A pressure washer will fuck sandstone.  Go look in the middle of manchester where they have used them to remove chewing gum from alll the nice sandstone slabs.  Looks like slugs in hobnailed clogs have crawled aroung the city centre.  i reckon pressure washers are up there with wire brushes and blow torches.

DrStatham

#72 Re: The Breck
June 23, 2007, 04:02:02 pm
Most useful. I suspected as much. Also, it's probably just going to provide a clean slate for the 'taggers' and would probably just encourage more of the same.

RE: Council Consultations... discussions are underway with the Parks rangers and the Parks Service. I'm hoping they will agree to allow some tidying up and small scale pruning to help keep the rock clean. Will keep you posted.

Cheers

tc

• junky
#73 Re: The Breck
June 24, 2007, 02:31:06 pm
Top work Doc. Don't you go bolting the Haston Dyno, now! :o

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
#74 Re: The Breck
July 27, 2007, 12:12:59 pm
What grades are at the breck? V?