UKBouldering.com

The Breck (Read 29706 times)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#25 Re: The Breck
July 21, 2006, 11:48:28 am
Good work, tc.  I'm keen for The Breck.  (It should be recorded as 'Legendary Dyno')

But don't forget, "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 11:53:58 am by Houdini »

tc

• junky
#26 Re: The Breck
July 21, 2006, 12:00:51 pm
Take a stack of industrial strength bin bags and a pair of thick gloves when you go and clear up some of the accumulated shite. You must give to the Breck before she reveals all of her secrets, grasshopper.

In reply to "Monolith", as far as I can remember, Brundlefly is another dyno, this time on the Granny Rock. It starts with the right hand in the big pocket and left hand in the square chip as per the normal problem up the middle and goes straight to the good small ledge above the rising diagonal traverse line.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 12:07:12 pm by tc »

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#27 Re: The Breck
July 21, 2006, 12:07:37 pm
woah woah, so much to take in!
Well, We arrived for a session on Wednesday night, only to be greeted by a rather large fire. The place had become totally burnt out and the trees were starting to catch fire. It was a miracle the whole thing stopped as the fire brigade didn't show up despite a call. When I told my father of this, I got the expected 'well, you can thank the Cheif Fire Officer for that' spiel (words of a retired fireman).
So expect some odd smells on your next visit there as a load of junk within the bracken burnt as well as several cannisters no doubt.

The Bluebell Wall V5 traverse is very good. If you think Pex builds strong fingers, check that bad boy out.

tc, thanks for that extremely insightful information, there's no way I would have been able to find any of that out! As I've said, I'll get some snaps for all to see as soon as the place isn't a raging inferno.
Well one things for sure anyway, there's no real need for a cleanup now as I was banging on about, nature has done it for us!

If he finds a spare minute, I know Chris Davies was keen to pop over and bag a repeat a while ago. Judging by the pure mystique fostered within this thread, who knows how many repeats it'll get!

waddage all round! ;D

Monolith

• forum hero
#28 Re: The Breck
July 21, 2006, 12:13:11 pm
Take a stack of industrial strength bin bags and a pair of thick gloves when you go and clear up some of the accumulated shite. You must give to the Breck before she reveals all of her secrets, grasshopper.
In reply to "Monolith", as far as I can remember, Brundlefly is another dyno, this time on the Granny Rock. It starts with the right hand in the big pocket and left hand in the square chip as per the normal problem up the middle and goes straight to the good small ledge above the rising diagonal traverse line.

tc, you really are a man of mystery! You're not the ghost that lurks under Bluebell wall are you?
Thanks for the Brundlefly info, I'll be sure to check it out.

I'll take a bin bag down later if I'm round and lash any remaining tins or junk out of the place.

As you may have noticed guys, I've changed my username from millso17 to Monolith, which I should have set it to originally.

tc

• junky
#29 Re: The Breck
July 21, 2006, 12:14:28 pm
And if you think the standard Bluebell Traverse is good, try the super-low traverse (feet below the bottom overlap, hands on the Bluebell Traverse footholds). V8?

Monolith

• forum hero
#30 Re: The Breck
July 21, 2006, 12:20:43 pm
yeah always considered that, but there has been so much dense vegetation it was impossible to move. I tried to do some weeding a month back but it was a hopeless task. Maybe the fire has rid of it? V8 would sound about right I think. The holds get greasy to a bizarre extent this time of year, but sure it is still possible.

tc

• junky
#31 Re: The Breck
July 21, 2006, 02:48:43 pm
Borrow a petrol strimmer  :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#32 Re: The Breck
July 21, 2006, 03:06:26 pm
Napalm.

Or some weedkiller spray.

tc

• junky
#33 Re: The Breck
July 23, 2006, 01:52:31 pm
Or one of Panettone's "Stone Circles" articles. That would do the trick.

Monolith

• forum hero
#34 Re: The Breck
July 23, 2006, 03:01:59 pm
pretty sure the fire has burnt much of the vegetation, but nice suggestions there!
are you a breck regular tc? sent you a pm

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#35 Re: The Breck
July 24, 2006, 06:00:25 am
If the Breck was popularised by a S.C's article there would surely be a turf-war.

tc

• junky
#36 Re: The Breck
July 24, 2006, 11:03:13 am
pretty sure the fire has burnt much of the vegetation, but nice suggestions there!
are you a breck regular tc? sent you a pm

I was there when the rock cooled  ;)

tc

• junky
#37 Re: The Breck
July 24, 2006, 11:05:36 am
If the Breck was popularised by a S.C's article there would surely be a turf-war.

The fire has probably burnt all the turf. I guess there might be some violent disagreement over the relative merits of the replacement turf, though. Rye gold is a new generation of Ryegrass which offers super fine blades and tolerance to close mowing, whilst stadium turf has been developed over the years to provide a classical domestic lawn. It is a blend of five grass species giving a dense lush springy lawn. The choice is a difficult one, and it's easy to see how the situation might lead to disputes between rival gangs. Many a Kirkby lad has ended up flat on his back on St Kevs fields or woke up in Fazackerly Hospital after a trip to the garden centre. Queensbury rules are out of the window when the stakes are that high.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 11:20:16 am by tc »

Monolith

• forum hero
#38 Re: The Breck
July 24, 2006, 09:46:31 pm
have some photos i'll work out shortly how to post on here. do i just wrap it in image tags?

Monolith

• forum hero
#39 Re: The Breck
July 24, 2006, 10:53:02 pm
Sorted.

Here is the greatest line in the United Kingdom. Hastons problem flys from the small slots along the seam up to the vert rectangular slot. I'm stood at the base of the photo for scale.

Here's a snap of the dyno holds a bit closer up....

and finally.... a new eliminate dyno called Piss Before Bedtime hard V5

Pemb

• regular
  • probably injured
    • Longest Mile Records
#40 Re: The Breck
July 24, 2006, 11:01:58 pm
Nice one monolith. You were looking good on that dyno the other day I seem to remember.

Got a photo of the fire damage as well.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#41 Re: The Breck
July 24, 2006, 11:15:43 pm
So what's the belay at the top? Looks a bit high to do with just a pad (or five). Maybe somebody with rubber legs would care to give it a shot sans rope.

Monolith

• forum hero
#42 Re: The Breck
July 24, 2006, 11:22:05 pm
belay at the top is in the form of a 80s bolt. not too sure if the conglomerate it is embedded within will any longer be sound. hard to access it to be honest, you cant really walk along the top wall by the railings anymore as there are a lot of trees preventing you from walking over. could always use a long clip stick i suppose. And you could definitely boulder it with a lot of pads and spotters, I certainly would.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#43 Re: The Breck
July 24, 2006, 11:33:44 pm
The Dyno looks survivable with maybe a sore ankle depending on landing style  :great:

Looks about 7 metres to the top hold (4 body lengths)  :beer1:

Monolith

• forum hero
#44 Re: The Breck
July 26, 2006, 10:23:33 pm
Not quite 7 metres Hess! Not really very far, just very little for feet and very little to crimp  :shrug:

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#45 Re: The Breck
July 26, 2006, 11:38:49 pm
Pretty impressive looking all the same Tom!

Looking more closely there appears to be a nice pocket for the left foot below the hands - it could be more of a sloping dish (tricky to tell without closer inspection!) - then right foot on one of those thin ripples or smearing? Certainly looks one for the future (Friday depending on the state of the hands/weather) :)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#46 Re: The Breck
July 27, 2006, 10:50:02 am
It could do with a mild sandblasting, paint remover and a good brush.  Is Legendary Dyno a slab?

tc

• junky
#47 Re: The Breck
July 27, 2006, 11:31:55 am
It could do with a mild sandblasting, paint remover and a good brush.  Is Legendary Dyno a slab?

The wall overhangs 10 degrees. The Aboriginal art at the Breck, with its marvellous diversity in styles and imagery, is a vital part of the cultural tradition of Murkeyside. Leave it alone you Philistine.  ;)

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#48 Re: The Breck
July 27, 2006, 11:38:29 am
I've noticed artists can be precious about their work.  ;)

Monolith

• forum hero
#49 Re: The Breck
July 27, 2006, 07:22:28 pm
Right on brother! The postmodern masterpiece that is Big Prawn Cunt bears testimony to this.

Incidentally, if anyone comes up with an eliminate, try and strive for a trilogy of three called Big, Prawn and Cunt. And I don't want the latter to be easy to get  :wank:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal