UKBouldering.com

The Breck (Read 29745 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#100 Re: The Breck
May 08, 2008, 05:51:46 pm
A local activist, Duncan, initiated a cleanup a while back and sorted the back wall grime/overgrown bramble situation out. Have a look at the link below. In between some school yard yada yada,there's a video within it of the haston dyno.

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,8734.0.html

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
#101 Re: The Breck
May 08, 2008, 09:52:59 pm
Broken link to vid :(

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#102 Re: The Breck
May 08, 2008, 09:55:48 pm
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mU83-uCosfA

I changed the title to the first thing that came into my head due to the resulting controversy of the actual line. Either way, you can see that the back wall is in good nick compared to its previous state.

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
#103 Re: The Breck
May 08, 2008, 10:03:19 pm
Nice :)

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
#104 Re: The Breck
May 10, 2008, 06:10:54 pm
Was down at The Breck today. Needs a bit of a strim, but other than that it seems okay.

I'll be there again tomorrow with a mate, and may be a stiff brush to clear some of the glass. Oh and some Febreze, there is a nasty human wee niff going on down there!

As I said though, my folks have just move in 30 secs walk away, so I'll be able to go down there with my bro and get tiding on most nights. I'm in the process of getting some lookalike council signs made, as my old man is a screen printer, saying CCTV/Neighborhood Watch type things. Although I'm not sure they'll last.

Anyway, I'll be there tomorrow as I said if anyone is around. Then I'll probably go onto Irby.

G

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
#105 Re: The Breck
May 12, 2008, 12:43:26 pm
Has anybody spoken to the local MP? Conservation is big on the agenda at the moment, so writing to the MP for a grant in order to get the place tidied up might be an idea. It'd have to involve all the local residence and include testimonies from them stating what they use it for and that it has significant value to the local residence.
I caught a few kids down there on Saturday painting the walls, so I aimed my phone at them; like I was taking pics and they ran off. It will also be an idea to get The Breck into the local paper.

Also FOA Duncan –

When you received the ‘Friends of The Breck’ pack, what does it consist of? How has the word been put out etc? Is there an annual tidy up as proposed?

Gary

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#106 Re: The Breck
May 13, 2008, 08:42:18 pm
fighting a loosing battle there. even if it got cleared up it will always stink of piss, be covered in broken glass and have graffiti everywhere.
Doesn't put me off going tho. reminds me of dense's old digs

DrStatham

#107 Re: The Breck
May 17, 2008, 02:57:54 pm
Has anybody spoken to the local MP? Angela Eagle?----
Are you kidding?  :wall: :thumbsdown:
Conservation is big on the agenda at the moment, so writing to the MP for a grant in order to get the place tidied up might be an idea.   :goodidea: Only problem is the paperwork. There are various pots of money available for projects such as this but the admin and paperwork, for me, makes the whole thing totally untenable and I'd rather spend the time climbing and taking the odd bag away (I'm not talking about Ms Eagle, by the way!). Meanwhile the Phantom Strimmer has been making regular visits, and some extensive pruning was carried out bya third person last summer, autumn and winter.

It'd have to involve all the local residence and include testimonies from them stating what they use it for and that it has significant value to the local residence.
Quite right! However, bare in mind that some of the local residents are as guilty as anyone else in dumping their shite over the walls. Last week I saw the chap from the first or second house from the left above the bluebell wall throwing garden refuse over the wall. I refrained from knocking on his door and pointing out that a) His actions are illegal and could incur a fine. b) That he could injure people climbing below. and c) that his dirty and antisocial behaviour has clearly been going on for so many years that a midden mound has built up there. Even without direct video evidence catching him in the act, I still think it would be possible to prove that he's been doing it for years.

I caught a few kids down there on Saturday painting the walls, so I aimed my phone at them; like I was taking pics and they ran off.  :goodidea: I've done this myself several times and it works better than anythin else!!!!

It will also be an idea to get The Breck into the local paper.
:goodidea:Very interesting. I think it may be about time to have a meeting somewhere and discuss this further... what d'ya reckon?

Also FOA Duncan –

When you received the ‘Friends of The Breck’ pack, what does it consist of? A load of effing Red Tape. I backed straight off 'cos they wanted detailed consultation with all interested parties (and I can see the need for this), AGMs, secretaries, minutes, blah blah blah. I decided on unilateralism and so far I'm quite happy with the outcome... DEcided not to bother with an annual tidy up but just keep working along at it. Maybe an organised tidy up, with a barbecue after during one summer midweek evening would be the way forward.

I think we need to meet up!

Cheers

D

DrStatham

#108 Re: The Breck
May 17, 2008, 03:07:20 pm
I'm in the process of getting some lookalike council signs made, as my old man is a screen printer, saying CCTV/Neighborhood Watch type things. Although I'm not sure they'll last.
:goodidea: :goodidea: :goodidea: :please:

...think it depends where you put them! Why not try some on the entries as a first go; if that' doesn't work they could be relocated.

I wondered about sending a letter from "The Friends of the Breck" to all of the residents, informing them about the work by local volunteers, informing about recent legislation regarding dumping of garden crap etc and informing about the crag's historical importance in British climbing... even considered scanning council logo and doing a snidey but thought it inadvisable  :lol:

Cheers

DrS

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
#109 Re: The Breck
May 18, 2008, 11:12:17 am
Thanks for the reply :)

You have a PM :P

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
#110 Re: The Breck
May 21, 2008, 08:45:10 pm
Nice to meet you Duncan. The Breck will be getting more frequent visits from me and me bro. I'm introducing a few more people to it on sunday (weather permitting), I'll drop you a line if we do.

G

DrStatham

#111 Re: The Breck
May 22, 2008, 03:47:07 pm
Nice one. Went last night, and going again tonight. will try and get down on sunday. when you going?

GaryB

• regular
    • FB Profile
#112 Re: The Breck
May 22, 2008, 04:59:26 pm
Can't make it tonight, my girlfriend is off work, so have'n some quality time. I might pop down tomorrow. I'll be there on sunday from mid-dayish, I'll give you a txt :)

DrStatham

#113 Re: The Breck
May 22, 2008, 06:59:28 pm
No worries. Only had an hour anyway but managed to do one route i'd been trying a coupe of times!

see you sunday.

d

tc

• junky
#114 Re: The Breck
June 03, 2009, 08:53:04 pm
Get down to the Breck now. It's just had a battering from a team of ancient Breckmasters and lots of the classics are now nice and clean and newly chalked up. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal