UKBouldering.com

Quality chuffing videos... (Read 1149457 times)

remus

• forum hero
#3975 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 15, 2023, 04:21:07 pm
It was a project of Ron Kauk's for a while, so in many ways it really is the embodiment of an 80s style route taken to the extreme.

blaciqui

#3976 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 15, 2023, 04:46:45 pm
Babsi is a beast, is a little bit sad that she doesn't get the attention she deserves. I have the feeling that "famous" female climbers achivements are not close to Babsi's and others like Angela Eiter. Really strong climbers that push the boundaries.

On a side note: If you ask me about what rock climbing will look like in the 22nd century I'd say that everybody will dress like the guy that appears at the end of video. WTF is that!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3977 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 15, 2023, 05:15:39 pm
Guessing it's a Halloween thing.

What do you think the masking tape is covering at the top?

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#3978 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 15, 2023, 05:17:35 pm
Babsi is a beast, is a little bit sad that she doesn't get the attention she deserves. I have the feeling that "famous" female climbers achivements are not close to Babsi's and others like Angela Eiter. Really strong climbers that push the boundaries.

Interesting this is your view, from my climbing media bubble, Babsi is one of the most famous and well publicised female climbers. She seems to get a decent stream of YouTube stuff every year and there was the Trango film last year. She’d definitely be first to mind if I was asked about best female trad climbers.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3979 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 15, 2023, 06:01:12 pm

What do you think the masking tape is covering at the top?
Probably a sharp edge, it lies exactly where the rope hangs when top-roping or lowering. They can be like granite knives in Yosemite and covering them with duct tape is a quite common strategy.

Also interested. I'm biased towards trad. climbing in general and El Cap. in particular which makes Barbara Zangerl currently one of the 2 or 3 very best female trad. climbers in the world from my perspective. I'm aware I have minority tastes and perhaps strong women boulderers and sport climbers get more attention? (although Babsi is not exactly shabby at either)

Or do you mean social media influence versus actual climbing achievement?  :worms:

« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 06:16:15 pm by duncan »

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#3980 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 15, 2023, 07:15:06 pm
Babsi is a beast, is a little bit sad that she doesn't get the attention she deserves.

If she would start to confront climbers she suspect having been not 100% truthful in their reports in public rather than in private, and with the same frankness, she would get tons of clicks. Tons.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3981 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 15, 2023, 07:25:27 pm
More, please.

:popcorn:

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#3982 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 15, 2023, 08:11:41 pm
Babsi is a beast, is a little bit sad that she doesn't get the attention she deserves.

If she would start to confront climbers she suspect having been not 100% truthful in their reports in public rather than in private, and with the same frankness, she would get tons of clicks. Tons.

Spit it out then you cretin !!!

andy popp

• forum hero
#3983 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 15, 2023, 08:39:38 pm
That's such cool footage - fighting every inch.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3984 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 15, 2023, 08:45:12 pm

If she would start to use more knotted ropes next to things like The Meltdown, she would get tons of clicks. Tons.
:-\

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3985 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 15, 2023, 09:29:37 pm

Probably a sharp edge, it lies exactly where the rope hangs when top-roping or lowering. They can be like granite knives in Yosemite and covering them with duct tape is a quite common strategy.

Good knowledge, makes sense, cheers. I was wondering if it was a hold she covered up to maintain the hard sequence she had come up with ;)

remus

• forum hero
#3986 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 15, 2023, 10:09:08 pm

Me three, don't leave us hanging here jwi.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#3987 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 16, 2023, 09:11:32 am
More, please.

:popcorn:

Me three, don't leave us hanging here jwi.

proves my point: controversies are more interesting than small holds that are far apart!

Anyway, the "ascent" of that particular Nordwand route is widely in disrepute. As is the FFFA party.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#3988 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 16, 2023, 09:46:21 am
You just did it AGAIN, you scrote  ::)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#3989 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 16, 2023, 10:19:51 am
If you'd asked me in 1981 what rock climbing would look like in the 21st century I'd have described something like this. Funny how it is now almost completely atypical of what constitutes modern hard climbing.
;D Good quote. The first half looks horrendous, the F8c equivalent of Curbar E2  :look:

Cool video but although it's XTRA- R A W, they still could have sped through the shakeouts.

Kingy

• forum hero
#3990 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 16, 2023, 10:35:32 am
Anyway, the "ascent" of that particular Nordwand route is widely in disrepute. As is the FFFA party.

Dare I ask for details of these allegations? Is this the Eiger Nordwand?

blaciqui

#3992 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 16, 2023, 02:19:13 pm
It's interesting that the other day while researching Loic Zehani's "ascent" of Artaburu, I found several comments mentioning this "ascent" of Norwand, among other controversies. This happened a long time ago and I didn't know about it but I've heard about it twice in the last 10 days...

It gave the impression that among professional climbers (some of the comments I read came from professional climbers) there are still some open wounds. I guess for them it's the same as what we see from the outside when you open your eyes: it's pretty easy to spot the "clickbait" climber, but you have to add that they see how the others get the fame and the money. (what surprises me is that more people don't realise this).

I have to say that my original message wasn't about this controversy, she is well known to me and maybe I'm not right in saying that Babsi doesn't get the attention she deserves, as I don't have instagram or follow any social media, but, for example, on Youtube for every video I link to of Babsi there are 10 videos of female climbers who sell that they play to the limit when in fact they don't.  If one of those female climbers (I refuse to name names) were to achieve a feat like Angela in Madame Ching I don't want to imagine what would happen.

I assume that is a thing that happens in every part of the society. So many people complaint that there no good models out there and the real issue is that they are following stupid people. Or maybe the stupid is me... Who cares?

Kingy

• forum hero
#3993 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 16, 2023, 06:27:43 pm
Regarding the Nordwand link above, this is all a long time ago. I read all about this at the time, 8 years ago plus the other teams who were climbing on the Eiger that season.

I don't see anything there that particularly bothers me. Sure, the style wasn't the best but don't climbers used fixed ropes and ab in from above all the time on El Cap? Patiencia was not actually claimed as an ascent, they did the easier Magic Mushroom instead. Maybe there were a bit liberal in their interpretation of the weather and conditions re Patiencia but they didn't say they climbed that route so no tick by their own admission.

Zooming out, Sasha and Carlo are both kickass climbers with impressive CV's over a long period of time. Maybe they didn't abide by the pure Eiger ethics and hammed it up a bit to TV shows but 8 years on, Sasha is now leading teams to multi-pitch mountain objectives e.g. most recently to climb Rayu 8c https://www.planetmountain.com/en/news/alpinism/sasha-digiulian-matilda-soderlund-brette-harrington-repeat-rayu-8c-picos-de-europa-multipitch.html

Perhaps the crux pitch of Rayu is 8b+ rather than 8c as per later ascentionists' comments but still impressive stuff nonetheless.

BD

• player
#3994 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 27, 2023, 07:46:15 am
I liked this one a lot of Simon Lorenzi on Alphane:

Kingy

• forum hero
#3995 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 27, 2023, 03:08:29 pm
Thanks for this, its actually already been posted in the Quality Bouldering Video's thread. Silly thread title - not even sure why chuffing means routes but that's what this thread is usually for!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#3996 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 27, 2023, 03:17:27 pm
Thanks for this, its actually already been posted in the Quality Bouldering Video's thread. Silly thread title - not even sure why chuffing means routes but that's what this thread is usually for!

Yeah, whats the origin story of chuffing as a term?

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#3997 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 27, 2023, 03:22:43 pm

Yeah, whats the origin story of chuffing as a term?

I always figured it was onomatopoeia for the noises you make when you're on a route. I guess I'm about to find out I've been embarrassingly mistaken for a long time.

BD

• player
#3998 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 27, 2023, 03:47:08 pm

My bad. I'm mainly a route climber so not used to look at the bouldering videos thread. Admittedly a bit silly to then visit a forum called ukbouldering. This one just triggered my interest being Belgian as well.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#3999 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
November 30, 2023, 09:55:25 pm
I really enjoyed this but it’s probably not for everyone. Stefano Ghisolfi’s first attempts at Sleeping Lion.
https://youtu.be/yX5hkFSM5JU?si=ezedmX3-oqEntV3k

On a related note, what does Chris Sharma do for training? I don’t recall ever seeing anything about that which in this day and age is pretty remarkable

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal