UKBouldering.com

Quality chuffing videos... (Read 1149343 times)

Tommy

• junky
#2550 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 09, 2016, 09:58:15 pm
Was that Nathan on Master's? Lanky bastard doing that top move like that! Good effort though... a might fine flash and rather impressive endurance hanging around that long. I'd have been pumped out of my brain.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#2551 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 09, 2016, 11:22:39 pm
Yeah, that's Nathan.  Despite being able to reach that way (just!), not sure that's the optimum beta for him on the top move as he only got the jug open on 3 fingers and said he was close to falling coming in to match  :lol:

Duncan campbell

• junky
#2552 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 10, 2016, 08:06:57 am
Such a good effort from you and Nathan Steve!!

skelf

• regular
#2553 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 10, 2016, 03:52:33 pm
A bit of old skool ....

Having heard much about this vid over the years finally managed to track it down online.
A few well kent faces in there ....

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2554 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 10, 2016, 03:58:52 pm
That brings it back!  I managed to avoid being in that film, luckily.   ;)

boxmonkey

• regular
#2555 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 12, 2016, 08:49:58 am
Good to see Chris bouldering again. Although he doesn't seem to successfully climb anything - Paul Robinson does though!

monkoffunk

• forum abuser
  • sponsored by 90% lindt and vitamin D
#2556 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 18, 2016, 03:56:35 am
Its a bit soft-core-pr0n-like but probably belongs here:

http://www.over-caffeinated sugary drink company.com/de/de/adventure/stories/1331782865858/alexander-megos-formula-episode-1

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#2557 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 22, 2016, 07:39:05 pm
Master's Edge - cool stuff, love the un-practised sketching and faffing.

El Bon Combat - looks ace, would like to see the full thing. Rock looks cool.

Bouldering then - looks nice rock, kinda sandstone with limestone weathering? Chris does okay for a 9b/+ punter...

JackAus

• junky
#2558 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 01, 2016, 11:05:36 pm
This one about James Pearson climbing Le Bronx.

https://www.facebook.com/145161830635/videos/10153399379020636/

Thought it was a cracker.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#2559 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 02, 2016, 08:39:11 am
That's a sweet run-out

Wood FT

• forum hero
#2560 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 02, 2016, 08:54:02 am
That's great

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#2561 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 02, 2016, 10:30:57 am
Cool video despite some choppy edits early on - love the footage of the crux section.

Music was appalling tho.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#2562 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 04, 2016, 07:39:39 am
From other channel, Tom Randall climbing with Richie Patterson commentary  :clap2:

Wood FT

• forum hero
#2563 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 04, 2016, 07:45:58 am
Cool video despite some choppy edits early on - love the footage of the crux section.

As a viewer how would you prefer to see the footage of the choppy start, completely edit free or with an alternative method?

grimer

• forum hero
#2564 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 04, 2016, 10:20:17 am
Richie's commentary is so good :-)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#2565 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 04, 2016, 11:31:19 am

As a viewer how would you prefer to see the footage of the choppy start, completely edit free or with an alternative method?
Good question Guy. I would say as edit free as possible, and if there needs to be edits due to prolonged gear placing, shaking out, etc etc, keep them as smooth as possible i.e. having the climber restarting climbing from as close a position to before the edit.

In that video, there is some chopping starting at 0:24, around 0:48 it is really bad, I find this hard to watch as it's jarring on the eyes AND it misses out actual climbing. Okay so some people might want a shorter edit, but I'm sure however many seconds was chopped out then could have been fitted in without breaking the 4 minute mark.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#2566 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 04, 2016, 11:49:29 am

Good question Guy. I would say as edit free as possible, and if there needs to be edits due to prolonged gear placing, shaking out, etc etc, keep them as smooth as possible i.e. having the climber restarting climbing from as close a position to before the edit.

In that video, there is some chopping starting at 0:24, around 0:48 it is really bad, I find this hard to watch as it's jarring on the eyes AND it misses out actual climbing. Okay so some people might want a shorter edit, but I'm sure however many seconds was chopped out then could have been fitted in without breaking the 4 minute mark.

It's a subject I've often thought about as I caught some flak from an EpicTV bod for using choppy edits once or twice "it makes people think the player is faulty". The ideal is, like you've stated, to cut to as close a position as possible or another angle but this is often just not available.

If a climber got to a resting position and you got a few seconds of shake then perhaps a cutaway to scenery or the belayer then back to the climber setting off, would this feel more pleasing to the eyes/mind? Also, if edit length is a constraint would you rather have less of the climbing for less editing?

In this case, I liked the cuts on the cam placements as it quickly showed he was building a nest before the run-out. The cuts you mentioned did seem to be mid-move yeah. 

cha1n

• forum hero
#2567 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 04, 2016, 04:17:27 pm
https://www.facebook.com/145161830635/videos/10153399379020636/

Become French or become one of the best climbers of all times, are both things that require their time.
In this great video by Pietro Porro & Francisco Taranto Jr, La Sportiva ambassador James Pearson explain you why.

creedence

• regular
#2568 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 05, 2016, 09:43:10 am

It's a subject I've often thought about as I caught some flak from an EpicTV bod for using choppy edits once or twice "it makes people think the player is faulty". The ideal is, like you've stated, to cut to as close a position as possible or another angle but this is often just not available.

If a climber got to a resting position and you got a few seconds of shake then perhaps a cutaway to scenery or the belayer then back to the climber setting off, would this feel more pleasing to the eyes/mind? Also, if edit length is a constraint would you rather have less of the climbing for less editing?

In this case, I liked the cuts on the cam placements as it quickly showed he was building a nest before the run-out. The cuts you mentioned did seem to be mid-move yeah.

When working on single camera TV shows, the trick was to quickly zoom in on occasion to grab a few seconds of a close up shot, that could be used in the edit to get smooth cuts and still be able to edit down the video.

The cuts in the video above are particularly bad because the angle of the shot doesn't change.

Working with one camera is always a bit of a ballache, and it's a toss up between wanting a single usable shot of the whole scene, or having different shots you can actually edit with.

Taking the Family Man video as an example, it's likely that they knew they were only going to end up with a 4 minute video at the end of it, so it's pointless going for the single take.  If it were me, whilst he was placing the gear, I'd have quickly zoomed in, grabbing shots of gear on harness, cams being placed etc.   Which could then have been used to get a much smoother cut down version of the nest building.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#2569 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 05, 2016, 09:47:45 am

When working on single camera TV shows, the trick was to quickly zoom in on occasion to grab a few seconds of a close up shot, that could be used in the edit to get smooth cuts and still be able to edit down the video.

The cuts in the video above are particularly bad because the angle of the shot doesn't change.

Working with one camera is always a bit of a ballache, and it's a toss up between wanting a single usable shot of the whole scene, or having different shots you can actually edit with.

Taking the Family Man video as an example, it's likely that they knew they were only going to end up with a 4 minute video at the end of it, so it's pointless going for the single take.  If it were me, whilst he was placing the gear, I'd have quickly zoomed in, grabbing shots of gear on harness, cams being placed etc.   Which could then have been used to get a much smoother cut down version of the nest building.

That's really good advice, thanks

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2570 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 08, 2016, 09:05:56 am

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#2571 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 09, 2016, 08:16:31 am
 :tumble:
fucking ace

anyone tried to prosecute you for using a drone near a public road?

Thanks Lagers! Luckily not! Our was pretty quiet early morning though...  :P

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2572 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 09, 2016, 06:31:19 pm

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#2573 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 11, 2016, 02:49:25 pm
Have we had this:

???

I don't think I'll ever get bored of footage of that particular line. Such a nice bit of rock in a quirky location. I wonder if there is an E2/3 version at the same crag??

Also hardest female trad ascent ever??

Also I like the peg madness in the foreground at 4:20...

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#2574 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
April 11, 2016, 08:58:43 pm
Yeah that's an awesome video. I love how it's the town in the background at the beginning but as she climbs higher it's replaced by the snowy mountains.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal