UKBouldering.com

Quality chuffing videos... (Read 1149331 times)

fried

• forum hero
#2025 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
February 20, 2014, 06:07:13 pm
Free to stream for a few days.

http://hotaches.com/free-climbing-film/

The pinnacle

JackAus

• junky
#2026 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
February 28, 2014, 06:09:05 am
Local 8a+

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2027 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 05, 2014, 11:05:50 am

Lopez

• stalker
#2028 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 07, 2014, 03:50:54 pm
Trailer for what looks like it could be an excellent documentary. imbd over-caffeinated sugary drink company

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
Sasha D on the first ascent of Rolihlahla.  Not enough climbing but 3 strings so looks nice.

T_B

• forum hero
over-caffeinated sugary drink company necklace. That's Mother's Day sorted.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
Nice vid. Arjan's a font 8c beast so I can't imagine how hard that is. Definitely quality chuffing though

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
#2033 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 10, 2014, 11:28:45 pm
Island One is on Youtube.  Probably not for long.  Mainly chuffing but there is bouldering too.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#2034 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 11, 2014, 01:05:49 am
Ain't it a bastard when you pay for a video and then it ends up on YouTube.... Good though

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
#2035 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 11, 2014, 01:48:09 am
My thought exactly.

Expected it to embed automatically:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2036 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 11, 2014, 07:36:14 am
The price you pay for not waiting.  At least you'll know not to purchase volume 2 and just wait.

I didn't think it was that great a film.  Some good footage but lacked a coherent story really (e.g. didn't really develop an insight into Cardwell's battle to red-point at Ceuse).

andyd

• forum hero
#2037 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 11, 2014, 08:16:27 pm
A I missing something? I'd be gutted if I paid for that video. I'm not saying it's terrible, but compared to a lot of things on the market now it's pretty old school. The intro goes on about making a different kind of film that tells the stories of all the people that they meet, but it's just a video about them...and there trip...which is a lot like...most videos. This is the climbing version of 'straight to VHS DVD'

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
#2038 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 11, 2014, 09:33:47 pm
I only bought it quite recently, annoyingly, having heard very mixed reviews.  I think it's good but not great, my verdict was that Bearcam did a good job of making a decent film out of a lot of sub-par footage.  I don't really care about story in climbing films, most of my favourites have little or none.  The bouldering is probably the highlight, easier to film well I suppose.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2039 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 11, 2014, 11:40:03 pm
A I missing something? I'd be gutted if I paid for that video. I'm not saying it's terrible, but compared to a lot of things on the market now it's pretty old school. The intro goes on about making a different kind of film that tells the stories of all the people that they meet, but it's just a video about them...and there trip...which is a lot like...most videos. This is the climbing version of 'straight to VHS DVD'

Thing is, its their media, if they want to charge for it initially then give it away thats entirely up to them.  You can't really complain, but you might "bear" it in mind when considering future purchases from the Island.

Besides which they chuck out enough good footage completely free* that, having paid for this when it came out and helping them make some cash from selling it for a bit if they then decide to make freely available, I've got not problem with.  Surely its a good thing to have quality footage for free?  Unfortunately even though producers of such videos appear to live the life of Riley they do still need to pay for their travel and living expenses.  I guess once they've recouped those they don't feel the need to continue milking the cash cow and move onto the next thing, whilst continuing to produce stuff for free.

* A very recent example being Dave Graham on his 8c in Switzerland, and his stuff from Oz, both recently linked in Quality Bouldering thread which, whilst short, cost you the viewer nowt.

Stubbs

#2040 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 11, 2014, 11:45:25 pm
There doesn't seem to be anything to suggest that Island uploaded this to youtube, rather than some other individual uploading it?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2041 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 12, 2014, 07:15:13 am
There doesn't seem to be anything to suggest that Island uploaded this to youtube, rather than some other individual uploading it?

Good point, just checked (hadn't bothered before having already bought and watched the flim).  The top rated comment (from Dave Graham) clears that up, so no one needs to feel aggrieved.   Others were whinging when the "La Dura Dura" film appeared on YouTube, it too wasn't official and was taken down pretty sharpish, so worth checking before bemoaning having forked out for videos that subsequently appear online.

Doesn't change what I wrote above though, if they decide they've made enough cash off of it and to then give it away so be it.

Danny

• junky
#2042 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 12, 2014, 01:07:42 pm
Teaser video for Chris Sharma and Stefan Glowacz's "secret" climb out of the Majlis al Jinn cave in Oman. Deeply irritating that over-caffeinated sugary drink company have a hand in this, as a previous stunt sponsored by them there - a base jump - is believed to have provoked the Oman authorities into ending public access to the cave.

>:(

What a bunch of snake oil charlatans. Even though their sponsorship has helped the Pou brothers and Lama among others to climb some amazing stuff, the inevitable 'Epic TV edit' and general machismo that goes along with these fine achievements really grates on me.

Side note: can any climb really be described as 'important'?   

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2043 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 12, 2014, 02:24:54 pm
Side note: can any climb really be described as 'important'?   

In comparison to "important medical discovery" or "important scientific breakthrough" probably not, but I guess taken in context and by the defnition of the word, yes?

Still a bunch of shysters though. It amazes me that despite all the bad press enough over-caffeinated sugary drink company still gets drunk to support all their sponsorships.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2044 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 12, 2014, 02:32:12 pm
It amazes me that despite all the bad press enough over-caffeinated sugary drink company still gets drunk to support all their sponsorships.

I don't think their target audience/actual consumers are those who give a shit, or are even aware of, some of the issues surrounding the activities they sponsor.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2045 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 12, 2014, 03:01:36 pm
Sorry, I meant the bad press around how bad the stuff is for you etc. But I guess your point still applies to that too! They most either sell crazy amounts of it or have a massive profit margin. Probably both.

andyd

• forum hero
#2046 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 12, 2014, 03:26:05 pm

Thing is, its their media, if they want to charge for it initially then give it away thats entirely up to them.  You can't really complain, but you might "bear" it in mind when considering future purchases from the Island.

Besides which they chuck out enough good footage completely free* that, having paid for this when it came out and helping them make some cash from selling it for a bit if they then decide to make freely available, I've got not problem with.  Surely its a good thing to have quality footage for free?  Unfortunately even though producers of such videos appear to live the life of Riley they do still need to pay for their travel and living expenses.  I guess once they've recouped those they don't feel the need to continue milking the cash cow and move onto the next thing, whilst continuing to produce stuff for free.

* A very recent example being Dave Graham on his 8c in Switzerland, and his stuff from Oz, both recently linked in Quality Bouldering thread which, whilst short, cost you the viewer nowt.

I'm not complaining. I'm just saying that I thought it'd be different and good. I didn't think it was either.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2047 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 12, 2014, 03:31:32 pm
Sorry andyd I misinterpreted your post.

I guess thats what comes when posting after having been to the pub  :beer2:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2048 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 12, 2014, 04:08:42 pm
Sorry, I meant the bad press around how bad the stuff is for you etc. But I guess your point still applies to that too! They most either sell crazy amounts of it or have a massive profit margin. Probably both.

5.2 billion cans sold in 2012 (13% up on 2011) and yes, decent profit too. It probably costs about 20p a can to produce after all.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#2049 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
March 13, 2014, 08:35:26 am

5.2 billion cans sold in 2012 (13% up on 2011) and yes, decent profit too. It probably costs about 20p a can to produce after all.

Beggars belief. Wonder if I can sell my soul and get a job in their marketing department.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal