UKBouldering.com

Quality chuffing videos... (Read 1149427 times)

Doylo

• forum hero
#850 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
December 23, 2010, 08:35:07 pm
very flash!

grimer

• forum hero
#851 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
December 23, 2010, 09:07:27 pm
Kinda agree, but wow, the shots of Parthian and Offspring were stunning. Wish it would just sit still for a minute.

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#852 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
December 23, 2010, 09:22:07 pm
Excellent video, loved pretty much all of it.

my mate found this regarding camera used to get the footage.

http://www.climbingworks.com/the-beta/blog/2010/04/14/I_Want_One/

al123

• menacing presence
#853 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
December 23, 2010, 10:55:39 pm
good in some ways but shit in the others...
you barely got to see some of the climbing it was just the camera zooming around then they do a move then another bit by johnny dawes then they are at the top. bit of an odd film i thought. duno if i like it or not,

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#854 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
December 24, 2010, 06:08:04 pm

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#855 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
December 25, 2010, 01:02:14 pm

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#856 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 05, 2011, 07:29:06 pm

al123

• menacing presence
#857 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 05, 2011, 08:24:13 pm
i duno about anyone else but i found that video really annoying. the screaming, the "low impact" when it seems to me quite high impact to drill the rock and leave holes in it, then the cheesey eco bit at the end "we like to pick up others people litter". :wall: :wall:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#858 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 05, 2011, 08:47:40 pm
I agree with those criticisms, but I could tolerate it because the line and the climbing looked great...

JT

#859 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 05, 2011, 09:13:01 pm
Well, maybe you disagree with bolting altogether al123, but I thought he came across as genuinely wanting to minimise his impact, even if he might not have gone about it in what everybody would agree to be the best way. Certainly the bit at the end seemed heartfelt.... maybe you should be less cynical (said by a cynic) :P Maybe he shouldn't have driven a pickup along the beach though...  :-\

al123

• menacing presence
#860 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 06, 2011, 04:41:25 pm
yeah fair point, i dont disagree with bolting altogether just when he is on about low impact and he is drilling the rock, that seems to me and dare i say it alot of British climbers to be high impact, leaving holes in the rock. im not sure about heartfelt, to me it seemed some bullshit to keep sponsors like timberland or whoever happy so they can keep there green image? "we like to pick up other people's litter" no we dont, we mite do if there is some dropped litter but we dont really enjoy the activity its more of a chore. it felt like a plea for people to realise climbers are mostly nice people or something like that or to help promote climbers as nice people
theres my single minded rant for the day :P
and thats just my opinion on it of course.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#862 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 10, 2011, 10:04:44 am
After watching Honnold in Alone on the Wall on the First Ascent box-set/series I'm seriously impressed with his skills (not that I wasn't before, but that video is mind-blowing) and this is pretty good too, I remember pics of Stevie Haston on Belly Full of Bad Berries from an old OTE and just thinking, that looks well 'ard. He seems to cruise Diddier Berthod's route too...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#863 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 10, 2011, 02:36:48 pm
Bit of bouldering also. Some extended footage from the Mammut team trip.

Just seen this. I don't understand why they didn't concentrate on the climbing more. Great footage, but the whole thing is edited like lots of trailers joined together - the real subject is skimmed over. Is there going to be a more detailed film from this, or is that it?

Frustrating to watch - unless it is just a trailer, then it's OK

What's up with that shot at 08.35 ?

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
#864 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 10, 2011, 05:52:12 pm
yeah fair point, i don't disagree with bolting altogether just when he is on about low impact and he is drilling the rock, that seems to me and dare i say it alot of British climbers to be high impact, leaving holes in the rock. im not sure about heartfelt, to me it seemed some bullshit to keep sponsors like timberland or whoever happy so they can keep there green image?

I've just watched this vid and I think he genuinely did what he thought was best. If he'd left bolts in then they would have rusted pretty quickly leaving much nastier scars than just the line of empty holes that he left. I'm not a trad climber though so I have no idea whether this line would have been possible on gear instead...

tomtom

• forum hero
#865 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 13, 2011, 07:35:36 pm
Nice film (link via AdamL's tweets) about Hodge close..

Simon Brown

• regular
  • Saggy, and a bit loose at the seams.
#866 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 18, 2011, 01:45:09 pm
yeah fair point, i don't disagree with bolting altogether just when he is on about low impact and he is drilling the rock, that seems to me and dare i say it alot of British climbers to be high impact, leaving holes in the rock. im not sure about heartfelt, to me it seemed some bullshit to keep sponsors like timberland or whoever happy so they can keep there green image?

I've just watched this vid and I think he genuinely did what he thought was best. If he'd left bolts in then they would have rusted pretty quickly leaving much nastier scars than just the line of empty holes that he left. I'm not a trad climber though so I have no idea whether this line would have been possible on gear instead...

Andy, of course it's possible on trad gear(or lack of it).

I can remember Knockin on Heaven's door being called 'that impossible slab near Elder Crack' and then along came Andy. And now Ryan. You can add your pick of lines throughout the recorded history of rock climbing from the Grit, Northumberland, Wales, The Lakes, Colorado etc.... The question is one of personal courage; to accept the risk to life and limb, accept that one has limitations, and to perhaps resist peer and sponsor pressure to be a 'radical duuuude'. Chipping (for that is what he has effectively done to create protection where he couldn't find any trad palcement) and then claiming a low impact approach is hypocritical twaddle.

How would a 'punter' have been treated had they done this?

stevej

• menacing presence
#867 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 18, 2011, 01:54:26 pm
Just spat tea over desk :oops:

Also realised that none of the climbers speak in the mammut vid, bar that one cringeworthy exchange between JD and one of the blonde euros. That's got to add to the soulless feel, it's like they're just mannequins. Don't think any of them showed an iota of emotion at any point either. Feels like the complete antithesis to the Ganesh vid which I thought was brilliant.

JamieG

• forum hero
#868 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 18, 2011, 02:17:26 pm
I really enjoyed the Ganesh film. One of the best shorts i have seen in ages. Good find.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#869 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 18, 2011, 02:22:00 pm

11.54: Heel use on Green Traverse. Disgraceful.

Ethan

• obsessive maniac
#870 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 23, 2011, 07:15:31 pm

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#871 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 24, 2011, 12:36:08 pm
he still deserves a slap for the screaming

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#872 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 24, 2011, 12:42:42 pm

Sounded like Chewbacca was on holiday in Spain. If A.O. used a bit more conditioner on his locks you could confuse the two.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#873 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 24, 2011, 02:52:51 pm
I smile to think of the good people of Siurana being in bed well before nightfall and staying on the road lest the Beast of the Crags comes for them.

Beware the moon!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#874 Re: Quality chuffing videos...
January 24, 2011, 10:36:58 pm
Ganesh video is great.

I quite like the Ondra one, some sick moves being pulled there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal