UKBouldering.com

dietary supplements (Read 8832 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
dietary supplements
November 09, 2005, 11:13:57 am
does anyone take these? are any of them actually any good? i regularly take  codliver oil and glucosamine, and sometimes vitC, are they gonna be doing anything good?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#1 dietary supplements
November 09, 2005, 12:23:12 pm
I take pretty much the same: glucosamine, codliver oil and a multivitamin (with added iron.. grrr).  I reckon the cod-liver oil and multivitamin probably do me some good as I have a fairly unbalanced diet (revolving around beans-on toast, decent meals tend only to be bothered with at the weekend).    Worth knowing though that recentish studies have found that high-dose supplements often cause more harm than good.  Some antioxidants vitamins (E especially) only seem to be beneficial when ingested in food as part of a balanced diet that is naturally high in them.

Can't say I've noticed 'owt from the glucosamine - from what I've found its benefits are largely restricted to older people with cartilage problems (rather than younger people with tendon niggles).  When my current stock runs out I don't think I'll replace it - with tell you if I suddenly become a cripple.  

Word on the street though (well, from a gym-freak friend) is that bromelain is where it's at for soft-tissue recovery (tendon and muscles inflamation) - it's the stuff in pineapple that stops gelatin setting etc.  There appears to be medical bumpf out there to support it ... may have to fruit-salad my way to fittness.

chappers

• forum hero
#2 dietary supplements
November 09, 2005, 01:33:00 pm
i took my first glucosamine this morning. after that i may sack em off, give em to my dad or summat. trouble is i got a bloody massive bottle of em. :evil:

Yossarian

• forum hero
#3 dietary supplements
November 09, 2005, 02:33:26 pm
personally i go for a mixture of nandrolone, flax seed oil, pomegranate juice and anusol...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#4 dietary supplements
November 09, 2005, 02:35:15 pm
supposedly, even if you are one of the people it works for,  Glucosamine takes around 2-3 weeks of dosing to take effect - might be worth persevering with (especially if you do have extant cartiliage problems).  The stuff gives me acid indigestion though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 dietary supplements
November 09, 2005, 04:44:33 pm
Take it before/during a meal. Failing that stand where someone will pelt you with small bottles of Gaviscon.

Apparently there is some glucosamine now that also has chrondotin (apparently also good for you) and some natural anti inflammatories and painkillers. Sounds like just the stuff.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#6 dietary supplements
November 09, 2005, 06:01:43 pm
Quote from: "moose"
Glucosamine takes around 2-3 weeks of dosing to take effect

I heard it was 2-3months.  :?:

Some of you might remember this. It's the shopping list of a very injured and desperate climber:

Things that I've taken to help with tendonitis and keeping healthy joints are.

*Bromelain- Helps rebuild tissue and support tendon repair. You can get this from "fresh" pinneapple and popaya's, but avoid canned pineapple which Bromelain usually gets vanished in from all the preservatives they use. I actually take the pill form 500 mg. twice a day, once in the morning and once at night before bedtime. This stuff has helped me alot.

*Glucosamine, Condroition Sulfate Sodium- Helps with joints and tendons. Very popular supplement for healthy joints, tendons, and muscle, etc. If your allergic to shellfish stay away from this stuff. I take it twice a day, same dosage as the Bromelain.

*MSM-Has alot of purposes but it mainly helps repair tissue, takes down imflamation, helps with skin repair, hair, etc. I take this twice a day as well.

*Alfalpha-Helps with toxins cleansing which can often cause tendonitis and bad imflamation. This stuff is also helping my immune system and keeping me well in this allergy season. When your immune system is healthy your able to recuperate alot faster to get BACK to climbing when your sore and having tendonitis you have to recuperate because you can only take so much of the pain and the abuse.

*Multi Daily Vitamin- Something like Centrum.

*Flax Seed Oil tablets- Great healthy fatty acids and takes down imflamation.

Then something my doctor right now told me to do to take down swelling and flarring which I immediately get even just warming up is, NAPROXEN SODIUM (Aleve). I take it 30 minutes before I climb and this takes down alot of the imflamation making climbing more "normal" like it used to be.

Over all listen to your body and find what works for you.

:shock:

saltbeef

• forum hero
#7 dietary supplements
November 09, 2005, 06:07:55 pm
in rcts  glucosamine is supposed to be as effective as NSAIDs. but then that might be in old giffers. I've heard nowt of this loading nonsence and the BNF makes no mention of it...

a dense loner

• forum hero
#8 dietary supplements
November 09, 2005, 07:04:10 pm
i take nothing and i look good, except the face, not the face

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 dietary supplements
November 10, 2005, 09:16:54 am
Quote from: "r-man"

*Bromelain- Helps rebuild tissue and support tendon repair. You can get this from "fresh" pinneapple and popaya's, but avoid canned pineapple which Bromelain usually gets vanished in from all the preservatives they use. I actually take the pill form 500 mg. twice a day, once in the morning and once at night before bedtime. This stuff has helped me alot.

*Glucosamine, Condroition Sulfate Sodium- Helps with joints and tendons. Very popular supplement for healthy joints, tendons, and muscle, etc. If your allergic to shellfish stay away from this stuff. I take it twice a day, same dosage as the Bromelain.

*MSM-Has alot of purposes but it mainly helps repair tissue, takes down imflamation, helps with skin repair, hair, etc. I take this twice a day as well.

*Alfalpha-Helps with toxins cleansing which can often cause tendonitis and bad imflamation. This stuff is also helping my immune system and keeping me well in this allergy season. When your immune system is healthy your able to recuperate alot faster to get BACK to climbing when your sore and having tendonitis you have to recuperate because you can only take so much of the pain and the abuse.

*Multi Daily Vitamin- Something like Centrum.

*Flax Seed Oil tablets- Great healthy fatty acids and takes down imflamation.

Then something my doctor right now told me to do to take down swelling and flarring which I immediately get even just warming up is, NAPROXEN SODIUM (Aleve). I take it 30 minutes before I climb and this takes down alot of the imflamation making climbing more "normal" like it used to be.

Reminds me that I need to look into Holland & Barrett shares.

Who was that anyway?

saltbeef

• forum hero
#10 dietary supplements
November 10, 2005, 11:56:29 am
a deadbeat?

JR

• forum abuser
#11 dietary supplements
November 10, 2005, 12:03:17 pm
i cant be arsed writing a massive reply because im sure ive been through it all before, but...

Ive got a pretty fucked body (and not in a good way) and glucosamine, msm and chondroitin have worked for me placebo or not, i dont care...

word

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#12 dietary supplements
November 10, 2005, 12:24:11 pm
a word to anyone tempted by this wonderful introduction to optimistic self-delusion - healthspan still seem to be by far the cheapest place for snakeoil etc.  Though I was recently told that the days of dirt-cheap Channel Island mailorder (from healthspan and play.com etc) are soon coming to an end - anyone know if there's any truth in it?

Mind you, I suspect that my health / injury needs would be best served by employing someone to follow me around and stop me from climbing like a stubborn cretin - "oi no! stop repeatedly trying that problem for 4 solid hours... do something else!"

Paz

• junky
#13 dietary supplements
November 10, 2005, 03:51:40 pm
Quote from: "moose"
- healthspan still seem to be by far the cheapest place for snakeoil etc.  Though I was recently told that the days of dirt-cheap Channel Island mailorder (from healthspan and play.com etc) are soon coming to an end - anyone know if there's any truth in it?

I don't know anything relevant, but ages ago their (healthspan's) deliveries used to arrive the next day or the day after that, that you ordered it.  These days they're taking nearer 12 days, the stuff (they send me anyway) is staying longer in Custom's.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#14 dietary supplements
November 10, 2005, 07:14:11 pm
I find that beer and crisps help develope a healthy winter insulating layer

clm

• forum hero
#15 dietary supplements
November 10, 2005, 09:14:41 pm
anyhting wrong with just eating well??
supplements schmupplements.

andy_e

• forum hero
#16 dietary supplements
November 11, 2005, 09:40:58 am
but they're so sweet and tasty!

i guess a change in diet would do me a world of good, but i'm young and just go for Quantity not Quality.

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#17 dietary supplements
November 16, 2005, 04:46:46 am
Quote from: "clm"
anyhting wrong with just eating well??
supplements schmupplements.

Youre quite right - theres nothing wrong with just eating well. Maybe you should try it one day you scrawny get  :D

account_inactive

• forum hero
#18 dietary supplements
November 16, 2005, 10:14:43 am

I find that these supplement my diet well

Yossarian

• forum hero
#19 dietary supplements
November 16, 2005, 10:24:02 am
i'm currently cycling oestrogen and evening primrose oil... i must admit that it hasn't done much for my strength so far. what is more alarming is that i can no longer reverse park, and for some reason i quite fancy russell crowe.

andy_e

• forum hero
#20 dietary supplements
November 16, 2005, 10:40:58 am
had a chat with a nice lady in the Health Food Shop ib Bolton... she says that glucosamine is definitely gonna have a positive effect, bromelin (£7.99 fo 30 tablets) is better and something called ceratone (could be completely wrong... foggy memory) and ceraplus are even better but stupidly expensive.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#21 dietary supplements
November 16, 2005, 11:49:59 am
I have to say that I've changed my mind on the use of Glucosamine for tendon repair based on recent research papers. That said, my old dear finds it helpful for her joints :)

squeek

• junky
#22 dietary supplements
November 16, 2005, 12:13:20 pm
Quote from: "andi_e"
had a chat with a nice lady in the Health Food Shop in Bolton... she says that the products she sells are good, and the more expensive they are the better they are and that I should buy lots

Fancy that.

andy_e

• forum hero
#23 dietary supplements
November 16, 2005, 12:14:52 pm
damn! i knew she was up to something sneaky...

account_inactive

• forum hero
#24 dietary supplements
November 16, 2005, 12:26:10 pm
Quote from: "squeek"
Quote from: "andi_e"
had a chat with a nice lady in the Health Food Shop in Bolton... she says that the products she sells are good, and the more expensive they are the better they are and that I should buy lots

Fancy that.

Fancy That is a stationary shop in Horwich

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal