fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#325 Re: Games, games, games
September 03, 2009, 07:02:10 pm
What about the bosses?

I hate them in fps...

In last one I played there was one.. A huge evil fat Gestapo bitch.. And that was ace... But only due to being able to hide behind a pillar an watch her contort as you dragged her evil Nazi ass in to death by multiple rockets

if the bosses are easy but visually cool then fair go.

Personally I'm gonna wait for...

Cod6

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#326 Re: Games, games, games
September 03, 2009, 09:52:57 pm
That's a good question fatdoc, I'm not a fan of crappy bosses (as they usually are too). I've heard some grumbling about later bosses, but also that they are okay if you use the veil. I've only faced one boss and it was fine as bosses goes, didn;t take much fannying about and only a few attempts.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#327 Re: Games, games, games
September 03, 2009, 10:20:37 pm
Did she look like this?

Jovial Geordie

#328 Re: Games, games, games
September 08, 2009, 11:23:04 am
Recently got Batman: Arkham Asylum for Xbox and was quite pleased with it.

Great backgrounds, a good selection of characters that are not normally seen in the games such as Zsasz / Killer Croc / Oracle, massive levels and a good story line.

Unlike previous batman games, where it is just mash the buttons in the direction of an enemy, this one has a lot more emphasis on stealth, which is can lead to some quite amusing moments and with the Riddler challenges it will take a while to get 100 % completion. Personally I find this a better adaptation of the Batman franchise as it is darker in content and character, similar to that of the latter novels.

I can find the controls sometimes a bit fussy, especially later on in the game when you have more items and the constant moving back and forth from place to place can get tedious, but overall one of the better games I have played this year.

The lack of on-line gameplay means I probably won't be playing this constantly and more than likely will trade it for Modern Warfare 2, but defiantly worth a rental and some time.

robertostallioni

• forum hero

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#330 Re: Games, games, games
November 13, 2009, 01:12:50 am

To be fair it's well known that using a modded box online will get you banned - it's always been the way.

They haven't turned them off exactly, you just can't use Xbox Live anymore.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#331 Re: Games, games, games
November 13, 2009, 02:53:12 pm
UKB - Every day's a school day.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#332 Re: Games, games, games
November 13, 2009, 07:15:11 pm
Just tried the L4D2 demo, it's good, basically more L4D, but a bit prettier, a bit more varied, new settings etc etc. Which is all one needs really. Still looks great and runs smooth on an old PC, still good fun coop gameplay.

If anyone gets the game let me know and we can hook up. I'll be the one staring at walls and running into gunfire  :wall:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#333 Re: Games, games, games
November 20, 2009, 04:35:27 pm
Left 4 Dead 2 is finally out here. As highly reccommended as the first. Easy to pick up, easy to get into, everything functions nicely and bags of character.

If anyone is playing it, I use the name "Shambler" on Steam.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#334 Re: Games, games, games
November 20, 2009, 06:22:55 pm
Might look into L4D2, did a couple of campaigns on the first one and it just seemed like the same repeatable tactic (get into a room and shoot zombies at a bottleneck) the whole way, never really got into multiplayer. Did I miss out on much?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#335 Re: Games, games, games
November 21, 2009, 10:46:59 pm
Well it is pretty much more of the same - but quite a lot of that MORE... More campaigns, more variety, more different zombies, more specials, more weapons, more "power-ups", more challenge, more blood and guts (quite a lot more of that, it's rare to kill a zombie without some body part or other going flying), melee weapons too which are both tactical and brutal (and relate heavily to the "more gore"). Graphics seem pretty cool too (detailed maps) and still runs smooth on older PCs.

If you didn't like the first, you might not like this, but I've found it considerably greater challenge than "bottleneck zombies in a room". As with the first one, the atmosphere/style is strong and very well functioning coop gameplay is the real highlight.

Dolly

• forum hero
#336 Re: Games, games, games
December 04, 2009, 10:02:52 am
Has anyone got or played Uncharted 2 ?
Videos look great and someone at work is raving about it

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#337 Re: Games, games, games
December 04, 2009, 07:10:53 pm
After my xbox gathered dust since last Christmas it's now fully active and I'm 7 hours into Dragon Age Origins and really enjoying it now I've got to grips with the somewhat demanding Tactics system.  It's made the headlines in the US today due to several elf on elf and elf on human gay sex scenes and plot lines... I wondered why there was an 18 certificate on the box..

MW2 is in my Christmas Stocking..

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#338 Re: Games, games, games
December 05, 2009, 05:20:20 pm
Has anyone got or played Uncharted 2 ?
Videos look great and someone at work is raving about it

it'a better than Cod6... in campaign.

my eldest has done  it 4 times over.. and is thus banned from the ps3 for a week to get his homework done.

a fine game, only gets hard in the higheest difficulty setting, so good for kids & adults. the gunfights are really good.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#339 Re: Games, games, games
December 11, 2009, 04:08:54 am
Well it took a while - obviously some stupid MW2 kids have been reporting me :lol:

My rather stupid gamertag "A Pork Throbber" has been vetoed by MS. I know it was childish but that was the point and it raised many laughs in pre-game lobbies.

So now I'm "Veiny Spear" - let's see how long that one lasts :)

Paul B

• forum hero
#340 Re: Games, games, games
December 12, 2009, 08:56:09 pm
Well it took a while - obviously some stupid MW2 kids have been reporting me :lol:

My rather stupid gamertag "A Pork Throbber" has been vetoed by MS. I know it was childish but that was the point and it raised many laughs in pre-game lobbies.

So now I'm "Veiny Spear" - let's see how long that one lasts :)

:thumbsup:

Just saw an advert for some kinda new Halo, any clues?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#341 Re: Games, games, games
December 12, 2009, 11:41:47 pm

Halo ODST? I guess you've been away when it was released - it's really like a big Halo 3 addon with:

- A new campaign (you don't play as MasterChief) story played in a slightly more open world setting than the usual Halo campaign. It's ok, but all a bit dark visually - nothing special.
- A new "Firefight" mode - just like the Horde mode in GOW2 - good fun!
- All of the Halo 3 multiplayer on one disc, ie all the maps including four new ones.

Unless they've already started advertising Halo Reach which is basically Halo 4 out next year.

Paul B

• forum hero
#342 Re: Games, games, games
December 13, 2009, 11:54:05 am
No you're right it was ODST I think... the horde mode sounds good but if there's a new one coming out next year I think I'll wait!

Eddies

• forum hero
#343 Re: Games, games, games
December 15, 2009, 12:07:56 pm
http://machinarium.net/demo/
This is total genuis

Durbs

• forum hero
#344 Re: Games, games, games
December 15, 2009, 04:34:33 pm
Left 4 Dead 2 is finally out here. As highly reccommended as the first. Easy to pick up, easy to get into, everything functions nicely and bags of character.

If anyone is playing it, I use the name "Shambler" on Steam.

Je suis "Durbs_Toast" - and also am excellent cannon/zombie fodder

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#345 Maybe getting a console
January 16, 2010, 10:31:20 am
slightly off topic but can' be arsed starting my own thead
I'm looking to replace my HTPC with a console that can also be a media server (ie play content over a network) and also used as a bluray player.
I have only a short experience of doing it on a PS3 when I set it up for a friend once. Does XBOX have a bluray drive?
Is there any benafit on either? I will be mostly playing .MKV, .avi and .mp4 files. Do either or both support 5.1/DTS/DD surround sound etc..
Also with regards to games, which have better games for a non-gamer gamer with very little time on his hands (ie arcade style)?
Cheers

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#346 Re: Games, games, games
January 16, 2010, 10:51:02 am

Xbox 360 went with HD-DVD which is now dead, though rumour has it they will be offering Blu-Ray in the future. I'd go with a PS3.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#347 Re: Games, games, games
January 16, 2010, 05:39:50 pm
PS3 works well as a client playing uPnP served media (video has to be over cable for decent playback really), but as far as I'm aware doesn't have the ability to set up and configure it as a media server under the Sony OS.

If you want to set it up as a server you'll have to dual boot and install Linux, from where you can install and set up uPnP servers.  I'm ostensibly doing this myself at the moment, but its on a back burner as I've not had the time to dedicate to it.  I've got Linux installed and running, but need to get various kernel upgrades (to support bluetooth and the native six-way controllers) and other tweaks before it will be anything near working (also need to get the additional PlayTV module so it can work with TV).  I used my usual distro Gentoo and it wasn't that straight-forward, but I think Yellow Dog may be another good one to look at.

Major downside is that there is currently poor support for Blu-Ray playback under Linux (all down to licensing software/codecs), but this was supposedly simplified recently but I've not tested it yet.

If you go down this option you'll have to get one of the older PS3's as Sony removed the ability to install another OS from the Slim's.  Its also a good idea to get a larger HD, I grabbed a 500Gb and swapped the 80Gb that came with it out.

Not a great gamer myself, but enjoy playing Ratchet & Clank (platform stuff), Little Big Planet, WipeoutHD and Tekken5.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#348 Re: Games, games, games
January 16, 2010, 06:09:20 pm

Paul B

• forum hero
#349 Re: Games, games, games
January 16, 2010, 06:44:55 pm
I miss tekken... I've never really found anything similar on the Xbox that wowed me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal