Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#276 Re: Games, games, games
February 04, 2009, 02:50:15 pm

Just fixed my 2nd xbox 360 RROD for free :)

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#277 Re: Games, games, games
February 04, 2009, 10:13:57 pm
I'm still thrashing away on GOW 2. Made it to level 36 on Day 1 public the other day. The one slip up and everyone got killed. :'(
I've got UPnP running on my router but I really need to get my NAT open (its on moderate I think) as I never get host (even on Oz matches) and I have a good superfast download/upload. Might even affect some of the mega lag I get playing yanks.

So I'm gonna use port forwarding. I think I need to set a static IP for my PC and for the 360 and then follow the instructions for my router on Portforward.com for Xbox live.

Anyone done this before and did it work/help?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#278 Re: Games, games, games
February 05, 2009, 11:20:21 am
Yes, you should definitely forward the XBL ports!  I just put the 360 in my router's DMZ so all ports are open to it.

Well done on 36. I got fed up with quitters so am back to endless games of H3.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:35:11 am by Bubba »

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#279 Re: Games, games, games
February 05, 2009, 07:10:48 pm

Just fixed my 2nd xbox 360 RROD for free :)

Why don't you ask Microsoft for a job? It'd save them millions...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#280 Re: Games, games, games
February 05, 2009, 09:10:35 pm
This week I have mostly been...
...playing Call of Duty 4.

It's awesome  :bounce:

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#281 Re: Games, games, games
February 05, 2009, 09:59:53 pm
Yes, you should definitely forward the XBL ports!  I just put the 360 in my router's DMZ so all ports are open to it.

Thats sounds easier. How to you go about it? These are my isntructions but I don't know what all the terms mean and I'm a bit confused as to 'who is who', so to speak:

1/ Check the 'Enable DMZ' box
2/ From the 'Select your WAN Connection' drop-down list, select the connection type for which you wish to add the DMZ
3/ From the 'Select your LAN Group:' drop-down list, select the LAN group for which you wish to enable the DMZ
4/ Select the 'DMZ Host IP address' from the 'Select a LAN IP Address' drop down list. If your IP address is not listed, click 'Add LAN Clients' and follow instructions in 'To add a LAN Client'
5/ Apply/Save

Does doing this add any security risk or affect your standard net connetion settings?

Thanks for any help you can give! 

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#282 Re: Games, games, games
February 06, 2009, 06:34:03 am

What router have you got?

You only put the 360 in the DMZ so security isn't an issue.

It's helpful to map each attached device (PC/360/Laptop/etc) to it's own specific LAN IP address by using the MAC address of each device. That prevents the scenario of an automatically allocated IP address being the one that ends up in the DMZ which would then become a security issue.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#283 Re: Games, games, games
February 06, 2009, 10:07:02 pm

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#284 Re: Games, games, games
February 08, 2009, 09:21:52 am
I found a manual for your router online

Looking at this I think you want to do something like this:

Look on page 64 - "LAN Clients". In here, you want to force the router to allocate specific LAN IP addresses to your devices. Why do you need to do this?
Firstly, you want to force the 360 to always use a specific IP address and that address only. Once that is set up it is safe to configure that IP address as the one in the DMZ.
Secondly you want to force your other devices (PC/laptop/etc) to always use IP addresses that are not the one the 360 will use - you don't want your PC ending up in the DMZ accidentally.

It may only be necessary to specify the IP for the 360 - the router may then never allocate that IP to other devices but I'm not sure how your router handles things.
One advantage of mapping all your devices to a specific IP using the MAC address is that you can then dissallow any other connections. This means nobody else can connect to your router without you specifically allowing them to which offers a nice security bonus.

So, anyway, how do you find out your MAC addresses?

On your PC, just do this:
- Press WindowsKey + R to bring up the Run window
- Type "cmd" and hit enter to bring up a command window
- Type "ipconfig /all" and hit enter.
- Look for the line that says "Physical Address" - that is your MAC address, copy it down.

On the 360, you need to do this:
- Navigate to the System area of the Xbox Dashboard.
- Select Network Settings.
- Select Edit Settings.
- Select Additional Settings.
- Select Advanced Settings.

The MAC address will be displayed toward the bottom of this page where it says Wired MAC Address.

Once you've got the MAC addresses for the 360 and any other computers that connect to your router, go back to page 64 of the manual and follow the instructions there to set up a LAN client for each device. I'm not 100% sure which sequence of LAN IP address to use for your router but it looks like:
192.169.0.100, 192.169.0.101, 192.169.0.102, etc.

Anyway, once you've set all that up, apply and save/restart.

Now check that your PCs and the 360 can still access the web and that they are using the IP addresses that you would expect. On your PC just do an ipconfig and on the 360 go to "My Xbox" ==> "System Settings" ==> "Network Settings" ==> "Configure Network". These should now be showing the IP addresses that you wanted.

Phew! Once all that's done, go back to your router and follow the instructions for the DMZ - see page 57.  On that page, specify the IP address allocated to the 360 and apply.

That should do it....I hope ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#285 Re: Games, games, games
February 08, 2009, 04:12:18 pm
 :bounce: Just bought an 80Gb PS3.  Main selling point is multimedia (uPnP and ability to get add on to turn it into PVR, easier than earache from the wife about building a PVR  :P).  Plus added bonus of paying some games  :thumbsup:

Paid £250 in Zavvi which seemed reasonable and left around £50 (compared to the £300 elsewhere) to get games that we might play (bundles with soccer and other games weren't floating our boat).

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#286 Re: Games, games, games
February 08, 2009, 10:40:05 pm
Thanks for taking the time to do that Bubba - You're a star. I'll have a crack in the next couple of days.

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#287 Re: Games, games, games
February 10, 2009, 08:37:16 pm
No mention of the Wii on here then?

Despite the bad reviews I've got quite into Call of duty: World at war.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#288 Re: Games, games, games
February 10, 2009, 09:39:39 pm
I'm with you Hubbins. I have World at war and Modern warfare. I hear theres a Nazi Zombie house defence option, but as I have yet to have time to invest in the game, I cannot find it. Any clue? I also have left 4 dead. Graphics are toss but playability is through the roof. Highly recommended.

mbleazard

#289 Re: Games, games, games
February 26, 2009, 07:52:22 pm
any left for dead fans on x box or pc?

sorry if its already been mentioned but couldnae find it!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#291 Re: Games, games, games
February 27, 2009, 08:28:13 am
No mention of the Wii on here then?

Obi-Wan mentioned his a while back. I'm still enjoying Shaun White Road Trip. and guitar hero.

tomrix

• regular
#292 Re: Games, games, games
February 27, 2009, 10:45:21 am
I'm with you Hubbins. I have World at war and Modern warfare. I hear theres a Nazi Zombie house defence option, but as I have yet to have time to invest in the game, I cannot find it. Any clue? I also have left 4 dead. Graphics are toss but playability is through the roof. Highly recommended.

Zombie level is unlocked when you complete the single player campaign on any difficulty. There was also a new xboxlive/PS3 release for the game yesterday that apparently unlocks the Zombie level for all!! Well worth unlocking although single player campaign is a bit disappointing.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#293 Re: Games, games, games
March 06, 2009, 05:12:40 pm
I'm quite tempted by Left4Dead for the 360. I see Fiend is on the PC, but is anyone on here on the 360 version?

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#294 Re: Games, games, games
March 06, 2009, 06:37:53 pm
Yep. Its involving. Graphics seem a bit bollocks and gunshot/death effect are also a bit 1990's but it IS involving and probably worth it all in all. Best as two player split screen I reckon for some mate elbowing action.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#295 Re: Games, games, games
March 06, 2009, 11:08:49 pm
I'm quite tempted by Left4Dead for the 360. I see Fiend is on the PC, but is anyone on here on the 360 version?

Seem to be all the rage, highly recommended by my friends, seems to bring out the best in people, and forces co-op, which makes a change from the drivel you usually get in online shooters.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#296 Re: Games, games, games
March 08, 2009, 12:46:41 pm
Pro standard Halo 3

Two pro MLG teams play Team Slayer on The Pit. From the viewpoint of Ogre2, one of the top players of all time.

Best watched in HD at youtube rather than the embedded one.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#297 Re: Games, games, games
March 08, 2009, 10:04:42 pm
Was thinking of L4D as I quite like some team action, ooeer.

Still can't drag myself away from GOW2 Horde tho. Standard seems to have reason quite alot if my last few public games are anthing to go by as I'm now regularly hitting the 30's with a bunch of randoms. The message about defending a base seems to finally be getting through. The new TU3 should be out soon tho and will hopefully fix most of the remaining gameplay problems and ridiculous host avantage and I'll finally be able to play MP again.

Roll on Friday and Resident Evil 5 - Looks awesome!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#298 Re: Games, games, games
April 08, 2009, 11:18:28 am
Nintendo will release a new WiiWare game called Rock n' Roll Climber that uses a combination of the Wii controller and Wii Balance Board to simulate rock climbing. The rock n' roll angle is a bit flimsy as far as we could tell — after the player climbs the rock wall the character celebrates by shredding on a rather conveniently-located electric guitar at the top.
 :dance1:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/03/25/gdc09_nintendo_keynote/

Paul B

• forum hero
#299 Re: Games, games, games
April 08, 2009, 11:36:00 am
Xbox live Gold has finally ran out, over 1000 games of Halo 3 in a year which is worrying considering I've hardly played on it for 2 months.

I downloaded the COD5 World at War demo, WOW is all I have to say, captivating play and stunning graphics...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal