UKBouldering.com

Games, games, games (Read 277836 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
#200 Re: Games, games, games
September 21, 2008, 07:38:03 pm
 :great: It's masked down right now! (The other option is to get out the drill and wallop a cable through the wall) You have to remember I live with my other half and while she'll entertain me building stupid balcony boards, buying stupid cars that don't work and rust away and being the injury prone fool that I am she prefers her flat not to look like its mid-way through an episode of changing rooms.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#201 Re: Games, games, games
September 21, 2008, 07:40:03 pm
Uncle is right - I tried and then ditched wireless for playing Halo. It's not a huge difference but there is a difference. I started killing better when I returned to wired.

When I did try wireless (on the original Xbox) I used a wireless adapter. It was pretty easy to set up.

Paul B

• forum hero
#202 Re: Games, games, games
September 21, 2008, 08:40:59 pm
file under don't bother then?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#203 Re: Games, games, games
September 21, 2008, 09:12:48 pm

It's only going to be an issue for shooters like Halo - everything else I doubt you'd notice. Depends how bothered you are too - i'm not obsessive but I do like to do my best :)

Paul B

• forum hero
#204 Re: Games, games, games
September 21, 2008, 09:21:08 pm
my wired connection currently on my desktop is running at 100 Mbps and my wireless (on a cr*p laptop) is only achieving 5 Mbps, thats quite a big hit although I don't know if a lot of that is down to the uselessness of the laptop (i'm tempted to scrap it and get a E pc).
I must admit I'm tempted though, it's always interesting to try these things (if a little geeky).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#205 Re: Games, games, games
September 21, 2008, 09:30:31 pm
Speed isn't really the issue, it's latency - the higher your ping the more you will suffer against opponents with lower values. I suspect using wireless just introduces a small bit of latency.

It's the same reason Americans rule in Halo 3 - bungies server are located in the US so we will always suffer around 100ms of higher latency than them. Put on the "best connection" filter when looking for a game and you're more likely to get matched with other Euros and end up with fairer games.

In Halo 2 I used to route my XBL connection through my PC and run a firewall that discarded all US IP addresses. It could take a long time to get a game, but when you did it was a game worth playing. Not sure you can do that with H3, I should try it out...

Paul B

• forum hero
#206 Re: Games, games, games
September 21, 2008, 10:32:09 pm
I've already worked out that I get my ass kicked no matter what I do. I should really get back on MLG though and get a decent skill level, i'm only on 5 as i've only had 3 ranked matches out of several hundred!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#207 Re: Games, games, games
September 21, 2008, 10:34:44 pm

It's all practice... And in Halo teamwork is everything. I miss having a good team to play with. I've hit lvl 46 on my own, with a team i'd be a general fo sho!

MLG is probably the most intense playlist. I've met a couple of professional players in there when it started out!

Paul B

• forum hero
#208 Re: Games, games, games
September 21, 2008, 10:48:19 pm
Well I'm sure I'll see you on there at some point, if I ever get this transfer report concluded (maybe a faster process if I wasn't faffing with routers and reading so many different forums) although my supervisor seems to have evolved into a nit picking witch.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#209 Re: Games, games, games
September 22, 2008, 12:29:28 pm
latency is a bit issue for me on COD4, my ps3 is wireless, 2 floors below the router... some days the family will bw shoutingat the screen - it's so obvious... i get a 25% signal at best

isnt there a way of using the existing wiring in your house to either boost wifi or connect hardwire?

also, i have to say from the above that the free ps3 gaming experience is far poorer than the xbox, you have far more options / utilities than I.

- i'm not buying MS stuff though, but i'd pay for a better online gaming experience for sure.

Game of the weekend (had virus, felt shite - did nought) is the Force Unleashed on wii, great single player hack, force and slash... superb story. I watched episode III first to get to the point where the game starts... good and dark... the bosses are excellent, normally i'm not a fan of boss type games - this one has sucked me in!
the two player could have been a true Wii event, but i find it's not deep enough, random button / remote swirling wins over considered strategy

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#210 Re: Games, games, games
October 21, 2008, 10:33:31 pm
Saints Row two has actually turned out to be a pretty decent game, much more fun than GTA's last outing and if only the comedy was as good as GTA's it would be near perfect  ie the radio is no where near as funny but apart from that it's well worth a try. :thumbsup:

bigd942

• addict
#211 Re: Games, games, games
October 21, 2008, 11:07:58 pm
These are good but not cheap, use them in at work and reckon I'll need one to connect up my Freesat once iPlayer comes online for it.

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wallplugged_adapterkit_hdxb101.php

Dom

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#212 Re: Games, games, games
October 22, 2008, 02:55:02 pm
thanks, looks the business, i'm a bit low on plugs round the  back of the telly though... need to think on this

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#213 Re: Games, games, games
October 22, 2008, 03:35:29 pm
I don't normally do games,

but the new Shaun White Snowboarding for the Wii + Balance Board may have helped me decide on a Xmas pressie.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/UBI-Soft-Shaun-White-Snowboard/dp/B001AMGOES/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1224685934&sr=1-2

Paul B

• forum hero
#214 Re: Games, games, games
October 22, 2008, 11:09:54 pm
thanks, looks the business, i'm a bit low on plugs round the  back of the telly though... need to think on this

Or an AP to use as a repeater or won't this help?

Bubba - or anyone - what do you think of Halo 3.5 ?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#215 Re: Games, games, games
October 23, 2008, 06:21:40 am

You mean the upcoming campaign expansion for Halo 3? Not fussed really - I didn't think the H3 campaign was much good anyway, i'm only a fan of the multiplayer really. I very very rarely return to the campaign.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#216 Re: Games, games, games
October 30, 2008, 03:32:42 pm

Tomb Raider: Underworld demo is up - very nice indeed, a true return the original; looks great and plays nicely too.

Xbox Live only I'm afraid.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#217 Re: Games, games, games
November 01, 2008, 03:56:53 pm

Another good one - try the Mirror's Edge demo - it's on PSN and XBL. It's a first-person free-running/fighting game and plays really slickly.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#218 Re: Games, games, games
November 01, 2008, 07:57:36 pm
Good shout Lord Bubbs, this looks top, the aesthetics look great, how does it play? I hear there's not much gunplay in it, just running round. EA seem to be on a role at the mo, anyone played Dead Space? It looks great.

andy popp

• forum hero
#219 Re: Games, games, games
November 05, 2008, 09:56:58 pm
Parental guidance required. My son (nearly 15) wants Resistance 2 for Xmas. Its rated it 18 but he says its not really any different to 1, which is rated 15. I don't play games at all. Do I believe him?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#220 Re: Games, games, games
November 05, 2008, 11:09:38 pm
If in doubt, I would say no. The gaming "system" is often under fire and cracked down on / disapproved due to violence etc etc, and rigidly enforcing age limits is one thing in it's defence. Obviously this is a political point rather than a personal one but the limits will be there for a reason and in the abscence of other factors heeding them makes sense.

However, Googling Resistance 2 and reading some reviews may help decide matters.

Paul B

• forum hero
#221 Re: Games, games, games
November 06, 2008, 02:01:56 am
Parental guidance required. My son (nearly 15) wants Resistance 2 for Xmas. Its rated it 18 but he says its not really any different to 1, which is rated 15. I don't play games at all. Do I believe him?

there's some gameplay footage in this:

to be honest it doesnt look that bad to me, i'd believe him.

Paul B

• forum hero
#222 Re: Games, games, games
November 10, 2008, 12:47:51 pm
Another good one - try the Mirror's Edge demo - it's on PSN and XBL. It's a first-person free-running/fighting game and plays really slickly.

Tried this last night and whereas its really slick I can't see how they're going to squeeze an entire game out of it? the demo was starting to become a bit repetitive after a few goes.
ps - I don't really like the crunching/breaking sounds when you screw up and deck out, they're nasty.

andy popp

• forum hero
#223 Re: Games, games, games
November 10, 2008, 06:13:11 pm
Forgot I posted my question, cheers for replies lads.

Paul B

• forum hero
#224 Re: Games, games, games
November 10, 2008, 10:56:22 pm
Forgot I posted my question, cheers for replies lads.
Just been a TV advert for fallout 3 on E4, I agree with what I said earlier; it doesn't look too bad.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal