UKBouldering.com

Games, games, games (Read 277792 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#175 Re: Games, games, games
September 06, 2008, 10:50:19 am

I got addicted to WoW for a while but never tried Eve - I've decided not to touch MMORPGs again as they take up far too much time. In the end I sold my WoW account for £200 though so it wasn't all lost.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#176 Re: Games, games, games
September 06, 2008, 11:20:39 am
Bubba you want a Guild Wars account?? Guild Wars mage/healer & Nightfall dervish/somethingorother. On penultimate map of GW with nuff gold lots of items etc etc, 1/3 way through Nightfall but plenty explored already. Will do you a mate's rate given it's UKB and all ;).

Have heard interesting and similar things about Eve - pretty cutthroat and gripping.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#177 Re: Games, games, games
September 06, 2008, 11:42:07 am

Nooooo! but thanks :)

Halo 3 still satisfies my gaming desires and it's easy to pick up and drop as you want without having to spend days grinding and levelling.

Anyone tried Second Life btw? Not exactly a game I guess. I tried it and thought it was terrible, can't see why people love it so much.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#178 Re: Games, games, games
September 06, 2008, 02:00:29 pm
I've been playing a MMORPG, and have found it has sucked out my old life to be replaced with endless grinding for shiny items. I complain about doing this in real life, yet will happily spend six hours dribbling in front of a computer for a +55 sword of muthafucking destruction. Why are they so addictive?

milksnake

• menacing presence
#179 Re: Games, games, games
September 07, 2008, 03:48:36 am
yeah, I've got my eye on a crow interceptor, Ive made 2million credits already, so only 14 million to go.... :(

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#180 Re: Games, games, games
September 07, 2008, 09:54:46 am
How powerful is your computer Milksnake, I've been considering playing Eve for a while, just wondering how it would run. Good luck with the grinding!

milksnake

• menacing presence
#181 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 02:51:25 am
er, quad core, 2 gig DDR2 memory and 1023 meg Graphics card, if that means anything to you (had to check the box myself) its complete overkill for eve though, even with the grapics patch you apparantly dont need that much.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#182 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 11:39:12 am
long, but fairly interesting piece on red-rings-of-death problem on the Xbox360 - hubris, coverups etc

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360-defects-an-inside-history-of-microsofts-video-game-console-woes/

some remarkable figures - the production lines initially had a 68% passrate, the yield on the main chip was 16%, yet  they denied that there was a problem for years... until a $1bn writeoff,

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#183 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 12:26:24 pm

That's strange timing since my (original) 360 has just given up the ghost with the red-rings...

...i'm just about to embark upon a self-repair job, which basically involves replacing the thermal past on the CPU and GPU. Hope it works.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#184 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 12:45:31 pm
I've been playing a MMORPG, and have found it has sucked out my old life to be replaced with endless grinding for shiny items. I complain about doing this in real life, yet will happily spend six hours dribbling in front of a computer for a +55 sword of muthafucking destruction. Why are they so addictive?

;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#185 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 01:20:24 pm
Does anyone know if theres a surfing game planned for playing with the Wii balance board? Would be fun and a pretty obvious step.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#186 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 01:20:48 pm
I don't game at all but could be persuaded by Spore.  Love the idea.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#187 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 01:30:50 pm

Because of EAs extremely over the top DRM system that gets installed along with Spore, it is now becoming one of the most pirated games ever.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#188 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 01:34:13 pm

Because of EAs extremely over the top DRM system that gets installed along with Spore, it is now becoming one of the most pirated games ever.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#189 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 01:50:38 pm

220bpm

• player
  • In my lungs, and sometimes up my nose...
    • My pictures
#190 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 02:34:52 pm
Its certainly not a MMORPG, but this has been a passion for the last couple of years:
http://www.lfs.net/

By far and away the best car racing simulator available  :great:

Ps - I also see Red Alert is available for free download, if thats yer kind of thing

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#191 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 03:36:20 pm
long, but fairly interesting piece on red-rings-of-death problem on the Xbox360 - hubris, coverups etc

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360-defects-an-inside-history-of-microsofts-video-game-console-woes/

some remarkable figures - the production lines initially had a 68% passrate, the yield on the main chip was 16%, yet  they denied that there was a problem for years... until a $1bn writeoff,

Mine blew up last year after playing Ghost Recon and I wasn't alone by all accounts.  Luckily MSoft had already implemented their 'save our asses' programme and paid for UPS to collect the machine, replaced the entire console and peripherals but uploaded all my saved game information and I got 6 months free on XBOX Live. It must have cost them a f*cking fortune as everyone I know has had their 360 replaced or repaired.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#192 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 03:44:28 pm
So you reckon Microsoft will go bust because of it then? :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#193 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 04:13:31 pm

One can live in hope  ;D

squeek

• junky
#194 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 04:25:28 pm

Most people who will get Spore have no idea what DRM is.

The fact the vocal minority are banging on about pirating it so much just means games like this will stop coming out for PCs and move onto consoles where pirating isn't as easy or commonplace.

I'm not saying it's right, but pirating on the PC is a major problem and you can see why publishers will start to move their big games away from it, or move to online only games, or some online digital distribution that knows what you've purchased like steam.

I'm not that bothered about Spore, but will probably get round to playing it one day.

I've mostly been sinking my gaming teeth into No More Heroes on the Wii which I completed last night and is pretty good, along with Advance Wars on the DS which I've been slowly working my way through and enjoying, which surprised me because turn based strategy hasn't captivated me in the past.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#195 Re: Games, games, games
September 09, 2008, 07:08:26 pm

One can live in hope  ;D

I doubt it, they were obviously aware of a problem at launch, but really wanted to get a steal on Sony by releasing early. I mean the original X-box still had at least another couple of years in it, and they just dropped it like a stone. Whether it was all worth it is another matter entirely.

As for P.C. games, many games publishers are moving to the consoles, and scaling down their P.C. games cos of piracy. Crysis was a biggie, apparently a few million more people play the game online than actually bought it. Why the hell these companies don't make their games available for download legally like steam? and the like bewilders me, and smacks of shooting themselves in the foot. Just like the music industry did when I-tunes decided to rape their profit margins.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#196 Re: Games, games, games
September 12, 2008, 12:42:44 pm
Yay!

My RROD 360 problem has been solved by a bit of messing about along with 8 bolts and washers   :beer2:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#197 Re: Games, games, games
September 13, 2008, 06:19:45 pm

Been playing Spore a bit - it's good fun but not mindblowing so far. The version i have won't allow any online interaction which i feel will be a big part of the game in the future.

Paul B

• forum hero
#198 Re: Games, games, games
September 21, 2008, 06:49:42 pm
I've been playing campaign mode on halo 3 again, its really good. The problem is now i've returned to my previous levels of shitness online! The other thing is that now the worlds worst trip hazard is once again weaving its way around the flat as I WILL NOT pay over the odds for a wireless adapter.
I've just been looking at some alternatives:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/114158
(bit pricey!)

or there seems to be plenty of online tutorials for using a wireless access point, ebuyer has one for 15 quid which looks like a good investment but after last weeks trouble I don't know if it's just asking for things to go wrong, anyone had any experience with this?

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#199 Re: Games, games, games
September 21, 2008, 07:27:41 pm
You want to go wireless? What about your latencies? I thought gamers always wanted low latency systems, in which case you should invest in some duck tape and fix that cable down!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal