UKBouldering.com

Games, games, games (Read 278145 times)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#125 Re: Games, games, games
April 23, 2008, 07:52:20 pm
Have you played Mariokart online, I hear the singleplayer part is pretty poor.

I've completed all the cups on 50cc and 100cc, but yet to do any more on single player, but that must add up to 10 hours or so.

I've played quite a bit of the online, not really any battles as that mode doesn't seem to click with me like the rest.

I've read the good reviews and the bad reviews.  most of the bad reviews seem to be of a non-online enabled review DVD which to be honest is poor, and they shouldn't be putting a review up when they haven't actually tested a large section of the game.

The single player is sometimes appears unfair and frustrating, but is very good fun and I've enjoyed playing it so far and don't see why not.  I like the fact that you've never won until you've crossed the finishing line, and the fact that if you're quite far behind you've always got the chance of catching up.

It's one of those games that most people will buy and enjoy a lot, but will never get a lot of critical acclaim.  Reading the Edge magazine review it sounds like they wanted it to be more like a realistic racing game, whereas it's actually just a hectic and fun racing game.  You always have the time trial modes to do perfect laps without getting hit anyway, and you compare yourself to your friends and the rest of the world on that.

Being able to play 2 player splitscreen online is good too.

2 player racer splitscreen, apart form an old version of Mortal Combat there is no better post pub gaming session to be had IMO

Plattsy

• forum hero
#126 Re: Games, games, games
April 24, 2008, 08:28:56 am
2 player racer splitscreen, apart form an old version of Mortal Combat there is no better post pub gaming session to be had IMO

Oh yes. Scorpion with his hook and chain. "Get over here!"

The repetition of this move could cause drunken arguements.  ;D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#127 Re: Games, games, games
April 26, 2008, 04:27:36 am

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#128 Re: Games, games, games
April 26, 2008, 03:36:08 pm

IGN GTA IV video review

I'm buying it.

Shit. Not again. Last time I bought a console was the PS2 when GTA-VC came out. Now it looks like I'm gonna be buying another console!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#129 Re: Games, games, games
April 28, 2008, 02:16:39 pm
The reviews are all in awe of the game

If you're buying a console just for this game then:

- The PS3 version looks marginally better apparantly; comparison here

- But, and it's a big but; the 360 version will have future downloadable content for the game, with each download supposedly offering another 10 hours of playtime. There are rumours of some PS3 content, but the fact that Microsoft paid a lot of money to Rockstar for the downloadable stuff makes me suspect it will be a poor second.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#130 Re: Games, games, games
April 28, 2008, 05:06:09 pm
as the ps3 CoD levels will be chargable (£5 apparently) i'm sure the ps3 will see the same downloads, but delayed like the extra levels in Cod4...

i've preordered my GTA4, i doubt i'll get it for a few days though, demand is huge!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#131 Re: Games, games, games
April 28, 2008, 05:38:02 pm

No, the downloads won't be the same because MS paid $50 million for the rights to exclusive downloads for the 360 only.

I'm sure the PS3 will get some extra content but at the moment it's a big unknown.

Paul B

• forum hero
#132 Re: Games, games, games
April 28, 2008, 09:35:44 pm
Argghhh!!!

I've just sat down for a quick game of Halo 3 but i'm getting "Information could not be retrieved from xbox live", I was still able to play a custom game but not enter matchmaking. So i did the connection tests and the only thing out of the ordinary is my Nat type is moderate. Nothings changed in the last day so I don't know what could cause it to stop working, any ideas Bubba et al? (BTW - nice vid) I'm guessing that its probably just playing up tonight. Is changing the Nat type to open going to effect anything on my (secured) wireless network?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#133 Re: Games, games, games
April 28, 2008, 09:40:08 pm

Aye, live is iffy tonight - i can't play anything on XBL - might be something to do with the GTA IV release.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#134 Re: Games, games, games
April 28, 2008, 10:03:11 pm
Just a query, and I thought this was the best thread to ask it. Are Apple's (in general) shit for games? I have heard that there are only a few games which can be played on Apple computers (be it an iMac, or a Macbook). Is this right?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#135 Re: Games, games, games
April 28, 2008, 10:43:36 pm
Just a query, and I thought this was the best thread to ask it. Are Apple's (in general) shit for games? I have heard that there are only a few games which can be played on Apple computers (be it an iMac, or a Macbook). Is this right?

Don't know what performance would be like, but you could either use VMware or use Apple's BootCamp to dual boot with windows and run any games under that.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#136 Re: Games, games, games
April 29, 2008, 01:03:10 pm
dowloaded the cod4 ps3 variety pack last night... double xp all week on the levels... good timing for gta4 :(

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#137 Re: Games, games, games
April 29, 2008, 05:08:24 pm

Hmmm the GTA IV multiplayer doesn't seem to be holding up too well - try to enter games and everyone hangs.

Ah well, at least the single player is great :)

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#138 Re: Games, games, games
April 29, 2008, 07:21:06 pm

Ah well, at least the single player is great :)

Bubba you tease, you can't just tell me that! Give me a little more to go on, is it as awesome as the hype says?.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#139 Re: Games, games, games
April 30, 2008, 10:19:13 am

Hard to say for sure yet - i've only really scratched the surface.

It certainly seems to live up to being a GTA fit for the current consoles and the storyline/character detail is superb. The combat is improved, driving takes a lot more skill and it certainly looks and sounds great. I'm still only on the beginner missions though so it'll probably show it's true colours when the whole city is unlocked, etc.

Keen to try the multiplayer once i've become more confident with driving/shooting.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#140 Re: Games, games, games
April 30, 2008, 10:28:39 am
Keen to try the multiplayer once i've become more confident with driving/shooting.

Hope that doesn't spill over into your current job  :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#141 Re: Games, games, games
April 30, 2008, 10:54:40 am

Nah, when i'm working I use the tried and trusted hammer/rolled up carpet/ditch technique - hardly original but still so effective :)

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#142 Re: Games, games, games
April 30, 2008, 11:26:48 am
Yeah, I hear the procedural animation was worth the wait. Do they still deny access to parts of the city with roadblocks and the like? So jealous.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#143 Re: Games, games, games
April 30, 2008, 02:02:48 pm
Yeah, I hear the procedural animation was worth the wait. Do they still deny access to parts of the city with roadblocks and the like? So jealous.

yeah, *terrorist threat*

it's all very more real.... my girlfriend (in the game) just sacked me off for twating some bloke and getting busted... all very odd, i've been on it 30 mins and no one's dead yet. you do get a true empathy for the characters though..

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#144 Re: Games, games, games
April 30, 2008, 04:19:56 pm

Hope you capped her ass for dumping you.

Stubbs

#145 Re: Games, games, games
April 30, 2008, 04:25:10 pm
i've been on it 30 mins and no one's dead yet. you do get a true empathy for the characters though..

What the first thing you did wasn't walk out into the streets and start punching people until the cops turn up, punch the cop until you can get his gun, shoot a few people until swat turn up and you can get a machine gun, etc.... or is that not possible any more?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#146 Re: Games, games, games
April 30, 2008, 05:45:12 pm
i've been on it 30 mins and no one's dead yet. you do get a true empathy for the characters though..

What the first thing you did wasn't walk out into the streets and start punching people until the cops turn up, punch the cop until you can get his gun, shoot a few people until swat turn up and you can get a machine gun, etc.... or is that not possible any more?

well possible... i've transgressed the law somewhat now.... but the pleasure of knifing innnocents - to get cash, not getting stars and keeping the girlfriend sweet is the plan... i'm sure i'll get to shag her!

i've not dared go online yet... the driving is way hard!

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#147 Re: Games, games, games
May 03, 2008, 09:13:37 am
I've shagged Michelle three times already, the option were you get to take her up the arse is ace!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#148 Re: Games, games, games
May 03, 2008, 09:58:33 am
I found her so annoying I nearly shot her in the face.

If you haven't got to a certain mission yet, she's not what she seems anyway...she's a wrong 'un!

I'm enjoying the game more as I get into it - it's one of the best for sure.

It's a shame you can't make videos of your gameplay like you can in Halo 3 - there's a couple of cool things i've done it would be good to save and share with friends.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 10:09:12 am by Bubba »

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#149 Re: Games, games, games
May 03, 2008, 10:27:36 am
Yea her whiny nasal accent is starting to get to me too, went round to to see if Faustins widow wifey was up for some action but she weren't answering the door!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal