UKBouldering.com

Tens Machines/Electro zappy things (Read 17991 times)

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
November 05, 2005, 06:27:14 pm
Has anyone used/experimented with them to train/aid recovery? Buoux? Huffy?

If so what's the sketch? Is it worth trying?

account_inactive

• forum hero
#1 Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
November 05, 2005, 09:12:07 pm
hey Ru

I used one of these whilst my elbow was fooked about 4 years ago.  The Spanish are mad for them - several articles in Desnivel etc.  

As a recovery tool (between attempts) I think that they would work very well.  Although so would conventional active rest.  One thing for certain is that they won't give you bullet proof abs whilst eating pizza and watching TV.  What they will do is help improve muscle activation and recruitment (if this is something you feel is lacking.  Could be a route climbers worst nightmare :lol:

If you do buy one try to get one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMPEX-FITNESS-electrodes-neuves-electrostimulateur_W0QQitemZ8716117709QQcategoryZ2917QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[/url]

saltbeef

• forum hero
#2 Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
November 06, 2005, 10:27:05 am
huffy has one, he doesn't use it. except the other weekend a couple of beers in it was pretty funny putting the electrodes on our faces!

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/forceit
#3 Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
November 06, 2005, 09:51:15 pm
Paxi used them when he trained for realisation, said something about it making his forearms more 'prepared' for the route or something i think.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#4 Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
November 08, 2005, 07:44:18 pm
Used in conjunction with conventional strength training, some studies have shown a strength increase greater than strength training alone.
They work by stimulating the muscle just beneath the skin. This is the major drawback for climbers, as the muscles of the forearm are flat overlapping bands. Because of this it isn't possible to activate all the fingers, or finger tips.
I've used one for recovery and I'd say there is some benefit, but it's very subjective.
I know the Spanish and French are into them (Liz Sansov is sponsored by Compex), but I've no idea how they're using them. Anyone Know?
In addition to Compex, Cefar are also good, and can be found cheaply on ebay.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#5 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 12:18:09 pm
Thought I would pull this topic back from the depths as I've just purchased one of these babies

I've only used it as a recovery tool and for a bit of strength work on my core, but the results are pretty positive!

Does anyone else own one of these?  Might be worth sharing some information about how to get the best use out of them

Will report back when I get some more beta

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 01:23:24 pm
I haven't got one but I have seriously been considering buying one given the fact I can currently only do limited amounts of training.
How much did it cost you if you don't mind me asking? would you recommend it?

I remember chatting to spanish kev about them a while ago, I think he had some knowledge regarding the way the spanish were using them...i'll try and extract some more information.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#7 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 01:45:49 pm
I bought mine from here http://www.sweatbandfitness.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductGroupID=15195&c=1879&d=432

So far so good.  I'd definitely recommend it.

Nice seeing you out and about at the weekend BTW

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 01:49:36 pm
Hmmm thought as much, they're pricey. I'm guessing you pay less you get crap with this kind of thing as well?

Has  the compex got no information about how to use them for climbing in the manual? Some of the boxes I saw on ebay had pictures of climbers all over them, it was the same in the advertising stuff for them as well?

(It was good to be out and about 'til I twatted the bad leg, got the A+E pics up on the blog if anyone has a morbid curiosity to look.)

Dr T

• forum hero
#9 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 01:59:16 pm
I got mine from BOOTS online and it's half price at the moment, worth every one of the 50 English quids I spent on it.
Used it whilst recovering from back surgery, the use was quite specific the nerve in by back was fried (tech term that the surgeon used, come to think about it I think he said "fucking fried" but still) and was doing a pain feed back loop type thing (I'm not a medic but basically it was sending pain messages because it was sending pain messages if you follow) . Anyway the Tens machine stopped that loop.
  After the nerve started to recover a bit the machine was also useful to keep the pain from the wound at bay....

looks like Dylan's one does muscle building as well mine is purely a pain relief thing, the physio I see said that for pain relief they're all much of a muchness  and as I said the one I've got works.

Be careful though, as pain relief they don't work on a proportion of the population (30% springs to mind but is probably wrong) so maybe try one first before buying

account_inactive

• forum hero
#10 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 02:03:53 pm
Tis true.  The compex one is pretty hardcore when it comes to intensity.  It also has tens setting for pain management and recovery too.

It does come with a manual, but I've also read some Spanish stuff which involved holding shoe boxes between you forearms and tennis balls in your hands...................  This however could be something to do with resisting the force of the contraction in your arms

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#11 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 02:36:57 pm
Ru and I had a long discussion about these things on a rainy day in Siurana. I think the latest research showed that
they had a beneficial effect for training when used in conjuction with another training regime. However, to get strength
benefits from said device you had to reach nearly 100% recruitment, which means current levels so high you'll be screaming in pain...

Given that we decided it might be limited use for strength work, preferring to use a campus board. OTOH there's a massive potential for using these for stamina work because you can train very hard, long past the point you'd have fallen off on a circuit (think of it as the perfect stamina circuit where every move is precisely judged to be the hardest thing you could do at that point without falling off). You've still got the pain issue to deal with of course.  Perhaps prepare for training with some hard liqour?  :alky:

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
#12 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 03:32:15 pm
hi i have one of these compex zapping units. Have been using it for a few weeks for recovery seems to make a difference. I have a few articles in spanish which my girl friend is going to translate. My friend who climbs a lot in spain say's they are very popular with the spanish in fact some bars have even installed power points so you can charge your machine!!!!!!!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#13 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 03:40:08 pm
Nige has got one of these electrode thingys. We all had a good laugh with it in font last year applying to various limbs/body parts and seeing how much voltage you can take.
Its a pretty weird feeling being hooked up to one of these

account_inactive

• forum hero
#14 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 04:33:27 pm
Ru and I had a long discussion about these things on a rainy day in Siurana. I think the latest research showed that
they had a beneficial effect for training when used in conjuction with another training regime. However, to get strength
benefits from said device you had to reach nearly 100% recruitment, which means current levels so high you'll be screaming in pain...

Given that we decided it might be limited use for strength work, preferring to use a campus board. OTOH there's a massive potential for using these for stamina work because you can train very hard, long past the point you'd have fallen off on a circuit (think of it as the perfect stamina circuit where every move is precisely judged to be the hardest thing you could do at that point without falling off). You've still got the pain issue to deal with of course.  Perhaps prepare for training with some hard liqour?  :alky:

Likewise the research I've read centres around rehab/physio work.  To initiate hypertrophy you would need a suitable intense stimulation that would probably be too much to handle.  I've bought mine more for recovery and injury management rather than strength gains as I'm falling to pieces as I get older :boohoo:

Paul B

• forum hero
#15 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 06:06:14 pm
whilst searching on ebay:

this unit helps to build muscle tone and is also used to help in rehabilitation after injury.  It can also be used with intra-anal and intra-vaginal probes (available seperately)

::)

Dr T

• forum hero
#16 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 07:08:50 pm

this unit helps to build muscle tone and is also used to help in rehabilitation after injury.  It can also be used with intra-anal and intra-vaginal probes (available seperately)

now that's just wrong......

Paul B

• forum hero
#17 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 07:16:08 pm
I think its technically for incontinence...

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 07:20:28 pm
I think its technically for incontinence...
Yep, it would certainly produce incontinence in me.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#19 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 27, 2007, 07:55:36 pm
I'm pretty psyched to get one now

webbo

• forum hero
#20 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 28, 2007, 08:12:33 am
whilst searching on ebay:

for your added pleasure i could probably get hold of a couple of old E.C.T. machines.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
#21 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 28, 2007, 09:40:26 am
what about using a defliberator?

(woz)

• forum abuser
#22 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
March 28, 2007, 05:06:18 pm
what about using a liberator?

Good idea Jim...

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#23 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
April 23, 2008, 07:14:59 pm
Has anyone seen the 14.99 portable TENS machine Lloyds pharmacy are selling currently? If so, what's your verdict? The box states that it's for pain relief with a number of different settings but could this be used in a muscle development context?

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#24 Re: Tens Machines/Electro zappy things
April 23, 2008, 07:17:29 pm
No. They won't be powerful enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal