UKBouldering.com

Big sound quality improvements for Soundblaster / Winamp (Read 3451 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Just found this yesterday and thought I'd share it.

The computer I play music on has a SB Audigy 2 and I use the superb Winamp for my music player.

Firstly, go and get the HQSoftProc resampling plugin and install it. Make sure the plugin is selected in preferences/plugins/output.

This will give you a very noticable improvment in sound quality - it resamples all the output from winamp and converts it from the normal 44KHz output into the 48KHz that your SB card would normally convert it into. This bypasses the the SB conversion software which is less than perfect.

Secondly, as recommended in the readme notes of this plugin, go here and download/install the drivers for your SB card: www.kxproject.com

They installed fine and now my computer based sound system (which uses fairly cheapo Creative 7.1 surround) sounds pretty damn good indeed. I'm amazed at the difference.

This will work if you have SB Live! or Audigy 1/2 soundcard, but am assuming it'll do something with most SB cards.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Hmm, I will have to try this.

Bubs, have you seen the latest incarnation of the squeezebox? these look cool, granted it does less than a 'puter connected to yer stezza does, but I like the idea of that rather than a computer attached...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Nice idea, but not a lot of use for me coz my computer *is* my stereo, though we have a much better qualidy surround sound system in the living room, I rarely get to hear it coz Ms Bubba is always watching shite on the telly.

simes

• stalker
    • http://www.simes303.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
hello. just as you said above, my computer is my stereo too, and has been for the last 5 years. my soundcard is not a soundblaster though, in fact i havent got a separate card at all, i use the one built into my motherboard which (surprisingly) sounds pretty good.

do you know if the resampling plugin you mentioned will have any effect on my sound quality, or is it neccessary to have a soundblaster card?

cheers, Si.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I think it's only an issue with SB cards so you'll probably be ok.

underground

• forum hero
Well i admit to being dubious about this before I started, and was wondering exactly how much of a difference would be made, and be noticeable.... Bloody loads, it's really impressive. We do most of our listening through the Creative speakers / Audigy soundcard attached to the computer nowadays and i have been a bit disappointed lately, but this really does make a difference...

underground

• forum hero
bubba, do you recall having to do anything other than running the .exe for this to work? I've tried uninstalling the Creative driver and installing KX, but after every restart the Creative drivers are back. I just can't seem to make it work...... :wall:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

No, it was all pretty automated IIRC.

I've sacked it off now anyway because it stopped surround sound for gaming.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal