Optional 56k Internal Modem

ta, chappers

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#3 new comp for editing?
October 26, 2005, 09:50:20 am
Pound for pound you will get a lot more processor for your money buying a PC. Granted I know nothing about Mac's - other than that they look nice, and apparently are fantastic for anything media related.

The spec you posted to a PC user is not that mega imho. Does anyone (other than JB) actually still use dial up?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 new comp for editing?
October 26, 2005, 10:15:27 am
The thing about macs being amazing for media is a myth these days since pcs run pretty much all the same software anyway.

As Dobbin says, macs are pretty....but expensive. Windows XP and OS X offer a pretty similar user experience too. One nice thing about macs is that there's no registry to get clogged up so the OS will probably remain tidier for longer.

I would always choose a PC for cost effectiveness and availablity of free software.

As macs become more popular, people are now writing virii for them too, so the security aspect will become the same eventually. MS is also a large shareholder in Apple, so don't buy one if you're trying to not buy MS...use Linux instead.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#5 new comp for editing?
October 26, 2005, 10:29:29 am
dial-up is the way forward. I spend too much time on the net as it is. Having it too slow to spend all day downloading videos is a good thing. Plus, whenever I use a broadband connection it doesn't seem as fast as I'd been led to believe.

Can anyone tell me why I can't get a relatively new processor etc and then run windows 98 on it dead fast? Instead I have to use winxp and its slower than my old system?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 new comp for editing?
October 26, 2005, 10:38:46 am
Downloading videos is good! And music, software, etc. You must have tried some shoddy broadband coz mine's fast as a bastard.

Win 98 is horrible - one of the most unreliable OSs ever. Win XP should run much faster on the same system....as long as you've got enough ram. 512mb ram should have it running fine. Then just disable any non-essential services and you're laughing.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7 new comp for editing?
October 26, 2005, 10:43:22 am
Hmm. I'm not running it on the same system, its a much faster newer one. Photoshop runs faster, but windows xp is definitely slower than 98 on the old one. Startup and shut down take forever.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 new comp for editing?
October 26, 2005, 10:51:27 am
Aye, startup does take longer from what I can remember. It can be sped up though - there's lots of unnecessary stuff enabled by default in XP.

Win XP Manager is a handy tool for tweaking XP.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#9 new comp for editing?
October 26, 2005, 10:56:35 am
I've got that usb hard drive now if you want to borrow it JB to transfer your stuff from the old pc, although my mate has it at the min, I should have it back by the weekend

squeek

• junky
#10 new comp for editing?
October 26, 2005, 11:03:24 am
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"
dial-up is the way forward.
Can anyone tell me why I can't get a relatively new processor etc and then run windows 98 on it dead fast? Instead I have to use winxp and its slower than my old system?

What you want is a 14.4k modem, they're even slower, how leet!  Then you can use lynx to browse the internet too.

98 doesn't run fast because it crashes all the time, plus you'd probably find new programs start having problems with 98.  Windows XP takes a bit of tweaking to run well, but mine runs fine and starts up quick.  Stopping a lot of unnecessary programs/services and turning all the 'pretty' scrolling/menu effects off is a good start.  Windows 98 is shit for lots of reasons.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#11 new comp for editing?
October 26, 2005, 11:07:01 am
you've got to remember that JB just upgraded to I think to a 900mhz processor and 512 meg of PC133 ram so it ain't that quick but quicker than his last one

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#12 new comp for editing?
October 26, 2005, 11:10:56 am
98 will run on 32MB memory, whilst XP is seriously heavy and wont even install under 128mb. Absolute bare minimum is 256, recommended 512 and ideally you want to be packing a GB of physical memory to make the user experience better.

Basically, we are saying throw more memory at it. XP is reet reet memory hungry, the more you got the better it runs. The bottle neck in all computers however, its the queue for the disk. If you think yours runs particularly dog like then try defragging it, uninstalling anything that starts at start up etc, etc.

If its got to hit the disk, its gonna be slow.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#13 new comp for editing?
October 26, 2005, 11:12:32 am
Yeah I don't think all the RAM is working. Only showing two fiddy or sumtink. Will check n get details. Keep the xp speed tips coming...

Yossarian

• forum hero
#14 new comp for editing?
October 26, 2005, 12:29:20 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
The thing about macs being amazing for media is a myth these days since pcs run pretty much all the same software anyway.

you can't get final cut pro for pcs though...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 new comp for editing?
October 26, 2005, 01:22:24 pm
Nope, but you can use Premiere Pro which is pretty good.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal