UKBouldering.com

A beginner's guide to bouldering (Read 4381 times)

underground

• forum hero
A beginner's guide to bouldering
October 13, 2002, 09:19:04 am
Eventually, I'm getting round to writing it! So, here is your chance to contribute to what may (or may not) be the greatest bouldering article after 'Master Of Rock'

What I want is any advice you, the ukB follower of the faith, would like to impart to the beginner.

It doesn't have to be anything world shattering, it may be plain boring or obvious, but a beginner may want to know it and they'll have you to thank!

So, anything you have will be greatly received, and duefully credited in the article.

Any pictures you'd like to submit , perhaps demonstrating said advice, would be even better.....

So get posting, or email me. I'll expect to be kept up night after night reading it all

Oh, by the way, there'll be a prize for the best 3 submissions.....A good one an' all

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 A beginner's guide to bouldering
October 13, 2002, 09:30:38 am
you feeling rich matey?? What's the prize?

Ok, essentials:

• boots
  • chalk and tick mark etiquette
  • pads
  • brushes and using them properly
  • spotting techniques
  • techniques and terminology, eg dyno, sprag, egyptian, etc
  • grades (and about not getting hung up on them!)
  • avoiding the Peak as it's already too fucking crowded

dave

#2 A beginner's guide to bouldering
October 13, 2002, 09:30:55 am
without getting bogged down in the semantics of "which shape brush is best" and "which boots are best for heelhooking", I would say there are only 3 essentials for bouldering, in order of importance:

1. Respect - for the rock, other people and yourself
2. Enthusiasm - sense of exploration, curiosity and psyche
3. Perspective - at the end of the day its supposed to be fun

If you've got these then you won't go far wrong.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 A beginner's guide to bouldering
October 13, 2002, 09:35:29 am
Wise words Dave....

Not brush shapes, but more how to brush responsibly, use of wire brushes, etc, etc....

Don't think it can be a guide to teach someone how to climb, but just putting them straight on the basics.

Chick

#4 A beginner's guide to bouldering
October 13, 2002, 09:35:50 am
I think as far as getting better is concerned the most important thing you can learn, is self belief. Not a giant ego, but the basic theory of well, if Ben and Jerry, Lisa Rands, Greg Lowe etc are all good, there is no reason that I can't be just as good. After all they all started at he beginning too and they all put in hard work.

Its just down to how much effort I want to put in.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 A beginner's guide to bouldering
October 13, 2002, 09:36:12 am
I agree there Chick, as well as having the self-belief to enable you to get good (whatever that means!), it's important to have self belief even when trying individual problems - the mental aspects of bouldering are often overlooked.

If you think you might not get up a problem, then you almost certainly won't.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 A beginner's guide to bouldering
October 13, 2002, 09:48:11 am
Ok, in my attempts to "un-sticky" this topic I inadvertantly cocked up the times/dates. Topic is as it was originally, but the dates are a bit odd  :oops:

underground

• forum hero
#7 A beginner's guide to bouldering
October 16, 2002, 04:21:06 pm
Cheers everyone, thanks for your suggestions- they're all getting used.

Any more?

James, maybe you could give us some input- what have you learned in a year that could help a beginner to the sport? :?:

james

• obsessive maniac
#8 A beginner's guide to bouldering
October 16, 2002, 09:02:39 pm
What have I learnt in a year?  That's a tricky one.  I have learnt so much, but I will try to pick out useful things for beginners.

Bouldering is generally a friendly sport.  Like any sport, you do get plonkers, but they are few in number.  Treat others with dignity and respect and they will treat you the same.  Humour keeps us young  :lol:  so make jokes and have a laugh with people you meet at the crag.  You will probably find yourself making new friends and finding people to go bouldering with.

Ethics - DO NOT CHIP HOLDS.  This ruins the problem for everyone else.  You will get more pleasure in eventually completing a natural line than chipping holds and doing it now.  Do not use excess chalk.  Do not use POF or resin.  Do not artificially enlarge any holds.

I recommend buying a guide book.  It will give you the grade of a problem so you can realistically decide if you want to attempt it.  It will also give you info about crags, shops cafes etc.  You can see how you are progressing  by ticking off problems that you have done.  Having said that, don't take a guide books grade as gospel.  They are full of mmis gradings and some grades can be completely wrong.  If you usually climb at B4 and fail completely on a B1, don't worry, it will more than likely be the book and not you.  

Don't get too caught up on grades.  Boulder for bouldering, not for grades.  Obviously, it is always nice to complete a hard project but sometimes you end up not enjoying a session because you couldn't climb B7.

Have faith and believe in yourself.  The mind has a huge part to play in bouldering.  Think to win - corny or what!  :lol:

For bouldering you really need a few pieces of kit:

·   Shoes - They are a must if you want to have fun.  Make sure they fit properly (for bouldering this means putting up with a little pain) don't get them so they are as comfy as your street shoes or they will be useless.  Get the best pair you can afford.

·   Bouldering Pad - A pad is not needed right away so save your money.  You will be better using the money saved to get a better pair of shoes.  When you start trying harder or more dangerous problems you will probably want to buy a pad.  Don't just base your choice on cost.  Pads are all different.  Some are good, some are bad, so ask around.  There is lots of info on pads on the web and in magazines.  You could also post a question on this very site.

·   Chalk - Get a chalk bag.  It makes a hell of a difference.  Try all types of chalk.  Balls, blocks and loose all have their ups and downs.  I prefer block but decide for yourself.

Hope this helps
Cheers

James

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal