UKBouldering.com

Worldwide training venues (Read 3102 times)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
Worldwide training venues
October 19, 2005, 04:37:34 pm
I was just wondering about all the different places one can climb, and thus began thinking about all the different places one could train.  So, what I am after is a list of recommended destinations worldwide with world class training facilities and great climbing nearby.  I really don't know anywhere, so if someone wanted to point out some obvious ones then I'd be keen to glean some knowledge! since the edge woody is closed, half the foundry board is gone, and only the school is left, maybe it's time to go somewhere else!  :lol:

cheers

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#1 Worldwide training venues
October 19, 2005, 08:24:16 pm
Next time you're in Aix-en Provence, France resting between days on the amzing crags neargby, try a training session with the big boys at Pole France - training venue of the French climbing team. Hydraulic lead walls with an insane roof above, hydraulic bouldering walls (not one or two mind, but three) and the biggest campus board I have ever seen - twenty rungs high with a pole vaulting mat under it, and more different size and shape rungs than you've ever seen.

Then turn tail and run in embarrasment at your weakness as Alex Chabot turns up and performs 5 consecutive laps of 1-4-7-10-13-16-19-16-13-10-7-4-1 on small rungs to warm up. :shock:  Putain, as I believe the locals say!

Paz

• junky
#2 Worldwide training venues
October 19, 2005, 08:42:07 pm
Is that how you spell it?  Some French guy who took me to a secret crag near Aussois kept yelling `Putain' when he fell off and I thought it meant 'wet pockets' but they told me it meant `Fu King Ah!'.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#3 Worldwide training venues
October 19, 2005, 11:25:15 pm
Sydney - Got more roof climbing locally than you can shake a stick at plus if you need indoors you can hit the Sydney Indoor Gym which has a training room and campus board built to the old school room specs plus severely steep to horizontal boards.  Or if you're the other side of the water you can hit St Leonards for more of the same and Sissy/Crumbly are just a short drive away.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#4 Worldwide training venues
October 20, 2005, 12:02:16 am
uncle, if you're lucky and it rain's in font. mur mur in gay paris is full of bouldering, campus boards next to the weight machines, sauna downstairs and a 45 degree wall that's about 50 foot long with the pad rising with you. only 3 problems with it
1)holds are hard to see cos have never been cleaned
2)it get's heaving
3)you have to leave font to get there

apart from the above i was blown away by it

Palomides

• forum abuser
#5 Worldwide training venues
October 21, 2005, 09:14:45 am
Quote from: "Paz"
Is that how you spell it?  Some French guy who took me to a secret crag near Aussois kept yelling `Putain' when he fell off and I thought it meant 'wet pockets' but they told me it meant `Fu King Ah!'.

Literal translation is "whore" (like the spanish word "Puta")

But it seems to be used as a general "bollocks!!!!" and is bizarrely less strong than shouting "Merde!"

Uncle, how about Salt Lake City? Don't most of the companies based there (like Pusher) have their own board rooms?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Worldwide training venues
October 21, 2005, 10:15:25 am
You people  :roll:

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
#7 Worldwide training venues
October 21, 2005, 11:25:08 am
we've got to go somewhere to train (those antagonistic muscle groups)... who knows what might happen if we just climbed outdoors all the time and never "trained"...  :wink:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Worldwide training venues
October 21, 2005, 11:59:19 am
http://www.thespotgym.com/

Is probably the best one on the Front Range. There are a half dozen spread between Denver and Boulder, but this one was the best I saw.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal