UKBouldering.com

Quick Ways of Recording New Problems (Read 5284 times)

Greg C

• forum hero
Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 01:52:29 pm
Hi guys, as there is no definative place to record new boulder problems direct onto the net I thought it would be good if people started to record problems onto this site www.climbinfo.co.uk as it has an easy to use and quick way of recording new stuff, and allows people to see whats going on straight away. It has been around a while and is monitored by the guys in Needlesports Keswick but unfortunatley no one seems to know about it.
What do you reckon? :roll:

Greg

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 02:13:41 pm
Well, you know what I'm going to say don't you?  :)

I prefer a system where people submit the problems first - like the new problems form on this site for instance  :wink: . A site where problems can be just added with no restrictions is ok, but if it was heavily used, would become the target for bullshit claims left right and centre, rather like allowing "anonymous posters" to forums - I think the quality of the information/posts is degraded when this happens.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 02:18:46 pm
Just to add to that - when people send in problems to this site, then 99% of the time they're added within 24 hours, so it's not like waiting for next months mag or something...

cofe

• forum hero
#3 new probs
April 07, 2003, 02:29:40 pm
gotta remember a lot of cats don't have access to t'internet all t'time - like meself.  but i do agree with bubba - the system on this site is pretty safe - and it is 'ukbouldering'

the mags thing is a good point n'all - OTE at the mo is blowing a fat goat - out of date and bobbins articles.  

heard somewhere that some bruvaz were trying to start up a bi-monthly or quarterly bouldering mag - very glossy with loads of good pics (v. imp).
its a good plan - in it they could collect and present all the recent new problem info from this site and sites like climbinfo - and try and get hold of photos.  if they present it like a directory it would be excellent for reference and would be free of shit. word.

Greg C

• forum hero
#4 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 02:37:07 pm
I`m fine with that but your system but it does not seem to work, if you fill in the appropriate problems it never finds anything!

Greg :roll:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 02:44:28 pm
How do you mean? You mean it's not got the problems reported elsewhere, etc?

The limitation with this system is that it relies on the info that people send in to me.  I'm planning to put more problems in, ie stuff gleaned from other sites, and the mags, but it's a question of time. This site is run after work, and the last thing I want to do of an evening is type in 100 boulder problems to the database.  If there were some volunteers, then this situation could be turned around.... but until then, it's going to happen slowly as there's other things that need to be done.

Greg C

• forum hero
#6 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 02:45:39 pm
I've just been playing on your find problems screen and I apologise it does work but its not over easy to use and it does not seem to have anything in the Lakes/Lancs/NE/Scotland/SE/SW which means people don`t seem to submit much but maybe thats folk being lazy!
Greg

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 02:48:51 pm
Fair comment - in what ways do you think it's hard to use? The reason I ask is that those screens will be re-written at some stage and I'd like to improve them where possible.

Yeah, I've had people complaining "Why no Scottish problems, we're in the uk too!", etc but you're right, I'm reliant on what people send in....

Greg C

• forum hero
#8 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 02:48:52 pm
Is it not possible to let people fill in there own info then which goes straight on the site then you guys read it and if its good leave it or if its crap delete? That at least would save you having to re-write everything.

Greg :D

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 02:51:32 pm
The current system lets people enter the info, then it's emailed to me and I edit it and put it onto the database. Often this is just a cut/paste job so it's not too much hassle. Even if the info went straight to the database, the user would still have to fill in the form. Do you think it'd be more attractive coz the info would appear immediately?

Greg C

• forum hero
#10 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 02:53:41 pm
I think it would be good if you could go on to a screen that listed all the new problems submitted over the last 6 months (in order of date) anywhere with just the name, date and location then you click on the appropriate problem for further info. Is that possible?

Greg :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 02:54:40 pm
Yes, that'd definitely be possible and a good idea - I'll try to build that in to the re-write.

Greg C

• forum hero
#12 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 03:01:17 pm
Maybe you should make it a more prominant part of the site then perhaps more people would fill in new stuff. I would of, but I didn`t know you could until today. Lets face new stuff is one of the most important things  and one of the main reasons the climbing media was invented.
What do you reckon?

Greg

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 03:07:34 pm
Not sure how to make it more prominent - I suppose a link from the front page would help, as well as the link from the navigation bar. The whole bloody site needs re-writing really. When I first did it I liked it, but it all seems a bit primitive now.

time, time, give me more time!

Doylo

• forum hero
#14 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 03:15:28 pm
What you been up to Gregory peck?

Greg C

• forum hero
#15 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 03:16:37 pm
I just thought I`d point out that I think you guys do a really good job and I don't want you to think I`m having a go at your site. To be honest this is the only site I ever really post on as it has some useful/interesting threads, and the best thing is no one posts purposefully derogatory threads.

Greg  :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#16 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 03:19:48 pm
Cheers Greg, but no problem, it's good to have constructive criticism  :D

The reason this forum seems to  work is coz there's no anonymous posters so it discourages the idiots from just posting abuse. It means less posts but a better forum....

Greg C

• forum hero
#17 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 03:26:09 pm
What up up Chris D?
I bin kicking back locally dude! Neils gonna be pissed with me I did "The Art of Self Destruction" at Woodwell last Wednesday.
Also got close on "Axiom" stand up last Thursday. The other weekend I repeated an old Gaskins V9 up on Farleton Knott called "New Rose" which is an amazing steep crozzled wall. Nobody goes up there much because there isn't much else but this is worth going to do in its own right.

We also developed a new boulder up Kentmere in the Lakes which has 20 problems between V0 and V8 on it. Its awesome and has flat landings alround check it out, there is a topo on... www.frcc.co.uk (New Routes)

What you been up to?

Greg

Doylo

• forum hero
#18 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 07, 2003, 06:00:01 pm
Nice one conker. Neil ain't gonna be to chuffed when he hears "Art of" has had another ascent (from his old sparring partner too!). I'm worried about that boy, i think he took Earl's casual flash harder than anyone realises. He's scarred deep down, i reckon he's been crying himself to sleep and ringing childline! I'm in sport climbing mode, been up to Malham and out on peak lime, back to pen trwyn on the weekend b4 majorca to show Statement who's boss! Come down and i'll show you the beta on the limestone bouldering round our way.

Oh yeah, saw your man gaskins at the tor the other day trying his project. Fair dues it looks like a pretty good route when you see someone on it, not realisation though is it! He looked to be getting a bit sacked though!

Anyway  c ya matey

Greg C

• forum hero
#19 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 08, 2003, 11:21:02 am
Hey Bubba to submit a problem I prusume you go to the "problem submission form" but I can`t seem to open it, how come?
Greg

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#20 Quick Ways of Recording New Problems
April 08, 2003, 01:19:10 pm
Dunno, it works fine here - what browser are you using?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal