UKBouldering.com

place your bets (Read 12123 times)

AndyR

• forum hero
#25 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 01:01:09 pm
Yeah - I've got The Peak - it's not really a climbing book though is it.

It'd be nice if somebody did an extreme rock 2 - could include Ireland, and also a bit of bouldering stuff as well.
Would it sell?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#26 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 01:06:49 pm
I really like "The Peak" due to the quality of all the phots involved, regardless of subject.

...Crow is still available from Cordee, etc, but its just shy of 40 notes, due to the format and quality. You need to have a look and see if it's to your taste, as there is a lot of art and random ramblings thrown in too.

I think someone like Ray Wood needs to produce a collection if his work as he has done some excellent work (wasn't he responsible for the young and vulnerable "huffy" shot?).

Stone Country has some good bits in it and is very good, but I think it could have been less biased with the coverage.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#27 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 01:18:04 pm
Deep Play by paul pritchard is pretty good - chop-routes in llanberis and gogarth, being insanely committed on Stron Ulladale (throwing away the abb rope to give dawes impetus to take on a crux pitch).  Maybe a bit too much expedition stuff though (though some of that's endearingly ramshackle rather than the usual snow plodding and rope fixing).  

Re the Moffat bit of Heinz Zak's Yosemite book - top stuff.  Anyone who feels stronger after eating nothing but lettuce for a day must possess some unearthly powers (perhaps he taps into ley-lines or something?!).  Pure waddage  - recently confirmed by the seeing him carry off wearing a lime-green tank-top in Black Lung (btw has the direct to Bruce Lee he was working ever been managed?).

Rhys

• menacing presence
#28 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 04:07:36 pm
One For The Crow is an awesome book- got well into it when there was a copy in Pete's, but unfortunately someone nicked it before I'd finished reading all the essays. Anybody read Readhead's latest book? Saw it advertised in the Bangor Uni wall; wasn't there at the time but apparently he just came in, put the poster up, had a sneer at the people there and left!

Had a look at where that photo of him in the NW Bouldering guide was taken and its over quite a drop. There's occasionally some chalk around those walls as well but it looks like a proper bag to be honest. Still if anybody knows where I could get a topo I'd be well endebted ('Clogwyn' I think its called).

Simmonite's book was okay, but the North Wales section is fairly poor to be honest- especially the slate section which doesn't really do justice to the place or any of the routes- I mean look at those photo's of Readhead on the Rainbow slabs in the Vaynol in Nant Perris,  incredible.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal