UKBouldering.com

place your bets (Read 12125 times)

dave

place your bets
August 18, 2005, 11:08:17 am
so how much do we all recon this'll shift for in the end? some people'll pay crazy wedge for this.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 place your bets
August 18, 2005, 11:13:19 am
£150-200?

I picked up a copy of Hard Rock (1st Pressing) in a second Hand Shop a couple of months back for £12.00, doubt it will fetch as much as that though.

A mate of mine has Extreme.... and is hanging on to it until it will fetch £250.00 or so.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 place your bets
August 18, 2005, 11:13:39 am
Reckon it'll go fo two fiddyish. What do i win if I'm right?

In a similar vein, some goon on cocktalk wants to swap his new peak bouldering guide for an old cockfax one! cos he 'prefers the old toppos'(sic)

So, anyone with an old cockfax lying around, here's your chance to get an extra free copy of Ru's book to keep on the coffee table or by the bog.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#3 place your bets
August 18, 2005, 11:19:24 am
Man, how much do I wish I'd pilfered the copy from Alfreton library when I was a nipper!?

dave

#4 place your bets
August 18, 2005, 11:21:20 am
what do you win? how about a long stand and a bucket of cold steam.

I heard somewhere of extreme cock going for £450 on eGay. I was going to venture that it'd go for about £300, depends on hwo hot the market is of course.

I couldn't let me old cockfac go, too many memories, to many dynos ticked.

where exactly in greece is toppos anyway?

Rice Boy

• stalker
#5 place your bets
August 18, 2005, 11:51:35 am
My cockfax looks like the dead sea scrolls so I figured time capsuling it then digging it up the next day.....

'Blimey, it's that old guide book from the nineties'

Thought the story would sell itself!

AndyR

• forum hero
#6 place your bets
August 18, 2005, 12:15:42 pm
I wouldn't let my copy of extreme rock go for love nor money....

'Cross-hatched with the comic linearity of puffins' - there's no price you can put on that.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 place your bets
August 18, 2005, 12:43:22 pm
Quote from: "dave"
where exactly in greece is toppos anyway?

It's Old Toppos he is referring to, which was reduced to rubble by an earthquake. Toppos (or new Toppos, if you will) was built on the ruins.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#8 Re: place your bets
August 18, 2005, 09:18:47 pm
so how much do we all recon this'll shift for in the end? some people'll pay crazy wedge for this.

Someone (friend of a friend) gave me a copy in the mid nineties.  If I'm being honest though I'd be gutted if I paid £250 for it and I'm a bit of a collector of records and books 'n stuff.  I mean its not that good really is it?? Mostlyh pretty crap hero writing and some good photo's of Cubby on Edgehog, Footless Crow, Pollit and Leachy in shit sunglasses on The Prow...

On another note, is there anyone else on UKB who doesn't own a copy of Peak Bouldering but continues to use a combo of their own noggin,  the old OTE guides and more recently,  Ru & Jon's masterpiece -  I don't think I've even thumbed a copy at the crag...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#9 place your bets
August 18, 2005, 09:21:49 pm
Quote from: "AndyR"

'Cross-hatched with the comic linearity of puffins' - there's no price you can put on that.

Try telling your wife and baby that when they are running out of nappies that you spent £350 to read about Malcolm B(l)oater 'whirling like a dervish' on the Bittersweet Connection with a shit black 'n white picture of Andy Pollit on Great Wall at CYF ;-)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 place your bets
August 18, 2005, 09:38:30 pm
Extreme Rock is nice but you've got to be an idiot to pay that sort of cash for it.

I'd steal a copy but I wouldn't buy one becuase I think Ken Wilson is a prick.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#11 place your bets
August 18, 2005, 11:58:58 pm
Ken Wilson is at least good value,

I was at a BMC meeting a while back when he was rattling on about the inter web thingy giving too many folk the platform when they had nothing to contribute, my comment 'just like you Ken didn''t go down well with every one present.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#12 place your bets
August 19, 2005, 11:17:31 am
:lol:

On another note, is there anyone else on UKB who doesn't own a copy of Peak Bouldering but continues to use a combo of their own noggin, the old OTE guides and more recently, Ru & Jon's masterpiece - I don't think I've even thumbed a copy at the crag...

I got given a copy once for my birthday, thumbed through it then took it back to the shop and swapped it for something more interesting. The only bouldrin guides I've taken to the crag were the old ote ones, but even then only a few times dead early on.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#13 place your bets
August 19, 2005, 11:35:58 am
I don't own a copy of Peak Bouldering.. mainly because, until Ru's rock-pr0n masterpiece alerted me to Wimberry, the only Peak places I had bouldered at were Bell Hagg and Pleasey Vale!

webbo

• forum hero
#14 place your bets
August 21, 2005, 09:12:13 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
Extreme Rock is nice but you've got to be an idiot to pay that sort of cash for it.

I'd steal a copy but I wouldn't buy one becuase I think Ken Wilson is a prick.

any book with my name it must be worth thousands.

and hundreds.

dave

#15 place your bets
August 21, 2005, 10:52:04 pm
kinell it only went for 127 in the end! i still would rather bank on stumbling upon one in a charity shop for 50p though.

AndyR

• forum hero
#16 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 10:08:36 am
Quote from: "Falling Down"
Quote from: "AndyR"

Try telling your wife and baby that when they are running out of nappies that you spent £350 to read about Malcolm B(l)oater 'whirling like a dervish' on the Bittersweet Connection with a shit black 'n white picture of Andy Pollit on Great Wall at CYF ;-)

That's not shit BnW - that's atmosphere!

Has there actually been a decent climbing book (apart from guidebooks) released in the past 15 years?

dave

#17 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 10:39:19 am
think the poer of climbing just falls inside 15 years. also the heinz beams yosemite book is aiight, got some ill photos in. and a chapter about jerry dieting his way up classic hard yosemite problems.

AndyR

• forum hero
#18 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 11:03:39 am
Come now - the power of climbing was utter wank - a couple of decent photos, and some of the worst 'interviews' ever written - they make the planet no fear interviews seem deep and insightful.

Yosemite was mostly photos wasn't it?

Surprised noone's ever done an arty BnW book on grit.

cofe

• forum hero
#19 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 11:28:51 am
none of these books touch extreme rock. borrowed a copy of ER from a guy i used to work with and he had the original sketches for the jacket cover too. now THAT must be worth a fortune together with said book. he wasn't doing a bad job of ticking it either.

dave

#20 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 11:31:31 am
i think POC is bo, some of the interviews are pretty good like the malc taylor one, stuff like that. I also think its funny when the mentalist anti-trad pro-toproping author is trying to bait zippy into saying bad things about trad climbing then it totally backfires. Although it is puzzling the amount of southern sandstone people are in it that you've never heard of, and amazing how many moves are described as dynos, and just plain infuriating how many bad apostrophe's there are.

theres loads of text in the yosemite book, its well wordy.

AndyR

• forum hero
#21 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 11:45:42 am
i think POC is bo, some of the interviews are pretty good like the malc taylor one, stuff like that. I also think its funny when the mentalist anti-trad pro-toproping author is trying to bait zippy into saying bad things about trad climbing then it totally backfires. Although it is puzzling the amount of southern sandstone people are in it that you've never heard of, and amazing how many moves are described as dynos, and just plain infuriating how many bad apostrophe's there are.

theres loads of text in the yosemite book, its well wordy.

Maybe I should get hold of a copy of that then (Yos thing) - sounds good.

Is that really it though for books in last 15 years? Maybe publishers won't touch them as they're  too expensive for likely return??

SA Chris

• forum hero
#22 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 11:57:22 am
Do you totally discount Simmonite's Book? Ok it's flawed, but there are is some good stuff in it (nad I'm not biased before someone comments).

There's a few other things like Redheads' "....crow" which hhas some pretentious crap, but good bits too.

dave

#23 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 12:44:19 pm
as i've said before stainforths "da peak" is good, though only about 10% about climbing. if you're not into the peak district then its not going to be that rad though.

what abotu the climbing handbook with a picture of huffy in? is that now not elavated to classic status? :wink:

AndyR

• forum hero
#24 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 12:55:46 pm
Quote from: "SA Chris"
Do you totally discount Simmonite's Book? Ok it's flawed, but there are is some good stuff in it (nad I'm not biased before someone comments).

There's a few other things like Redheads' "....crow" which hhas some pretentious crap, but good bits too.

Bought a copy for my nephew's birthday and had a flick through it - can't even remember what was in it.......

Never got redhead's crow - can you still buy it these days?

AndyR

• forum hero
#25 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 01:01:09 pm
Yeah - I've got The Peak - it's not really a climbing book though is it.

It'd be nice if somebody did an extreme rock 2 - could include Ireland, and also a bit of bouldering stuff as well.
Would it sell?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#26 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 01:06:49 pm
I really like "The Peak" due to the quality of all the phots involved, regardless of subject.

...Crow is still available from Cordee, etc, but its just shy of 40 notes, due to the format and quality. You need to have a look and see if it's to your taste, as there is a lot of art and random ramblings thrown in too.

I think someone like Ray Wood needs to produce a collection if his work as he has done some excellent work (wasn't he responsible for the young and vulnerable "huffy" shot?).

Stone Country has some good bits in it and is very good, but I think it could have been less biased with the coverage.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#27 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 01:18:04 pm
Deep Play by paul pritchard is pretty good - chop-routes in llanberis and gogarth, being insanely committed on Stron Ulladale (throwing away the abb rope to give dawes impetus to take on a crux pitch).  Maybe a bit too much expedition stuff though (though some of that's endearingly ramshackle rather than the usual snow plodding and rope fixing).  

Re the Moffat bit of Heinz Zak's Yosemite book - top stuff.  Anyone who feels stronger after eating nothing but lettuce for a day must possess some unearthly powers (perhaps he taps into ley-lines or something?!).  Pure waddage  - recently confirmed by the seeing him carry off wearing a lime-green tank-top in Black Lung (btw has the direct to Bruce Lee he was working ever been managed?).

Rhys

• menacing presence
#28 place your bets
August 22, 2005, 04:07:36 pm
One For The Crow is an awesome book- got well into it when there was a copy in Pete's, but unfortunately someone nicked it before I'd finished reading all the essays. Anybody read Readhead's latest book? Saw it advertised in the Bangor Uni wall; wasn't there at the time but apparently he just came in, put the poster up, had a sneer at the people there and left!

Had a look at where that photo of him in the NW Bouldering guide was taken and its over quite a drop. There's occasionally some chalk around those walls as well but it looks like a proper bag to be honest. Still if anybody knows where I could get a topo I'd be well endebted ('Clogwyn' I think its called).

Simmonite's book was okay, but the North Wales section is fairly poor to be honest- especially the slate section which doesn't really do justice to the place or any of the routes- I mean look at those photo's of Readhead on the Rainbow slabs in the Vaynol in Nant Perris,  incredible.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal