UKBouldering.com

Interweb bargains 'v' North American prices (Read 5146 times)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Those of you who travel regularly to the US and/or Canada, what are the prices on the high street like for digital cameras? I'm in the market for a new one before our holiday, but can't decide if I should get one off the web here, or use the strength of the £ and pick up a bargain out there.

We'll be in Vancouver for the first couple of days so will probably have time to go shopping.

cofe

• forum hero
check out the canon reseller on ebay uk word. just picked one up which will hopefully be sound. Canon_uk1 i think is the user. some v. cheap prices.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Buy over there fo sho.

They're cheaper in real terms for starters, then the exchange rate adds the gravy. But like the UK, the best deals won't be had by walking into the first shop... is there an address you could have stuff sent to? Someone you can get to buy it for you so you'll have it at the start of the trip?

dave

when i was in canada in june (vancouver end) i found there to be little difference. for stuff like the canon DSLRs the prices in the cheaper shops like LondonDrugs were not much to choose between the prices on 7day shop (maybe more expensive than some retailers like pixmania). its hard to gauge exactly cos it depends on the exact rate the VISA choose to use on your card on a particular day, and take into account whatever taxes you can claim back.  you may also wanna buy stuff in alberta cos there is no provincial tax thus its cheaper (you can[t claim PST back, unlike GST). The overall impression i got was the in canada digital SLRs were basically the same prices as you could get at home.

also think about warranties. i dunno what its like for canon and other manufacturers but certainly for nikon their warranties work in sales regions. I.e. a nikon camera bought in europe (i.e. distributed by nikon europe) is valid anywhere in europe (i.e. you can buy a french camera off pixmania and the warranty is good in the UK). However nikon europe won't touch a camera from asia (like the ones people will post you from hong kong on ebay) or the north american markets. I.e. you may save a few quid but check it out cos if you're screwed for a warranty then its hardly worth it, especially given than if you're looking at a DSLR then you may need to have the manufacturer remove shit from the sensor at some time. i know someone who's D70 came straight out of the packaging with shit on the chip.

I have heard that canon's warranties are valid worldwide though but as i say you need to check. also bear in mind that if you bought a camera in canada then claimed the GST back you have to send the original receipt with the claim which they don't return, thus you end up with no receipt i.e. no proof of purchase, which could of course also effect your position regarding claiming warranty services.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
yeah should have made it clear i meant bush's place. canada won't be no cheaper than here. And I guess the difference will only be worth the hassle if you're spending 500 bees or more...

dave

what is cheaper over there however is climbing hardwear. in squamish you can generally buy DMM gear cheaper than you can in llanberis. bizarrely 5:10 shoes seem to be exactly the same over there though.

a dense loner

• forum hero
but sid's jizz is twice the price :shock:

dave

better stock up on sid's manmilk then before you head out. you don't wanna get caught short.

a dense loner

• forum hero
word to that. tried climbing without any a few months ago, i stopped n went home. it's like a drug

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
your s'posed to put it on your hands word, not up your nose.
spending 500 bees or more...

what that? Lovejoy currency

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Quote from: "cofe"
check out the canon reseller on ebay uk word. just picked one up which will hopefully be sound. Canon_uk1 i think is the user. some v. cheap prices.

Just got a brand new Canon G6 (7.1 megapixel) for £300 from these guys. Amazing. Cheers for the info.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
So they don't always send the top of the range no matter what you buy? I was expecting you to get a EOS 1DSmkII for that price.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal