UKBouldering.com

Lancs boulderer seeks entertaining time in Peak (Read 7625 times)

squeek

• junky
Me and Jee are planning a weekend in the peak district sports climbing in a few weekends time.  We'd be looking to try our onsighting out at around 7a.  Where are the best places to go for this grade?  Would prefer somewhere with decent bolts that isn't too run out, as bold sports climbing just makes me dejected before I set off.  He's got the Northern Limestone guide so anything in there is probably best, unless there's some online guides to some good places someone can point me at.  Cheedale was mentioned by someone...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Two tier + Embankment combo would be your best bet. Long wall would also be a good bet. Max's wall is popular but a bit non descript. All down Chee dale.

dave

max boutros boutros in chee dizzle is flava, lots of slopey holds, pinches and sidepulls, and more importantly its in the shade most of the day. never climbed on embankment but the rock looks a bit flakier. 2tier looks good but i contrast to max butt it gets the sun all afternoon, so depends if you like sun or shade.

cofe

• forum hero
2nd max wall and 2tier. all good things. circular.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Or get up early enough for morning shade. I'm sure 2tear is shaded until mid arvo.

cofe

• forum hero
2tier doesn't get shade til late avo so it'll be fine. by which time you'll be busted and can top up your tan a la PF.

dave

"2tier doesn't get shade til late avo" - you mean sun, shirley.

theres a problem in the cockpit.

cofe

• forum hero
i'm not kareem abdul-jabarr. my name is roger murdock.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
You could do my old route on Long Wall squeek :)

squeek

• junky
You could do my old route on Long Wall squeek Smile

Wow, a ukbouldering web master tick!  I'll get on the case.  :)

Two tier + Embankment + Maxwall  it is then cheers for the knowledge.  Is there a good camp site nearby (ideally with a good pub nearby to that)?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I'm pretty sure you can camp round the back of the Three Stag's Heads, ask in the pub. I rate it as one of the best, if not the best pub in the peak. This is opposite the gargage a few miles west of Stoney on the main road, at a place called Wardlow Mires.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
I'm pretty sure you can camp round the back of the Three Stag's Heads, ask in the pub. I rate it as one of the best, if not the best pub in the peak. This is opposite the gargage a few miles west of Stoney on the main road, at a place called Wardlow Mires.

Yes, there's a campsite 50m up the road in the field to the right of the pub. It's cheap, has a toilet and is never that busy. Perfect.

Another vote for the Three Stags - it's brilliant, especially if you like pubs with a very friendly (everyone sits around the same two tables) atmosphere, folk music (in a pass the guitar round sort of way), eccentric landlords who used to do some climbing with washing lines in Stoney, good ale (there's a sign up saying if you ask for draught lager they'll punch you)...and of course whippets (biazarre but true, the pub is full of them).

dave

the 3slags headz is a diamond place, one of the hidden gems of the peak. and yeah people camp there all the time so they can get kaylide on the black lurcher shit. 5-10mins drive to cheedale from there.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Folklore has it that somebody did once ask for a pint of lager in the 3SH and had a gun pulled on them :lol:

It's a lovely pub but don't go if you're allergic to dogs as you'll be meeting some in there.

dave

i was in there last year and bogg asked for a lager shandy and he's still alive.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Would it be considered weird to go there just to meet other people's dogs??

Anyway nice to hear of a good trad pub around....

dave

i'm sure years ago they used to have a blind dog there anall - seem to remember it walked around without banging into furniture though, it obviously knew its territory.

would be better if the pub was full of doggs rather than dogs though.

a dense loner

• forum hero
yeh it was blind. i even like the place n i'm allergic to our four-legged friends

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal