UKBouldering.com

Sustenpass-Swizzerland (Read 3959 times)

erm, sam

• forum hero
Sustenpass-Swizzerland
July 10, 2005, 09:03:46 pm
I might get a few days away in August and was wondering about visiting Sustenpass. I beleive it will be one of the few alpine boulderign spots that isn't red hot in mid august...
I will have a nipper in tow so I am interested to know if it has user friendly grass between its boulders, or hideous scree?
I have seen pics of the rope crossing of doom. I assume this is to access one of the areas, not whole lot.  Don't think the wife would be too psyched on me bagging t'baby across it..

dave

#1 Sustenpass-Swizzerland
July 10, 2005, 11:24:14 pm
i heard of this place and was gonna research it last summer but then someone (can't remember who) said it was shite so i didn't bother.

zemike

• regular
#2 Sustenpass-Swizzerland
July 11, 2005, 11:15:22 am
erm, sam, the rope crossing is in magic wood (near the spluegenpass)... sustenpass is to the W and has a flat approach (5 mins.), theres grass between the boulders, between most of them at least, some gravel, as theres a little stream across the area (level depending on the snowmelt). as i remember its close to perfect in the familiy department, the bouldering is ok/good: alpine granit, with edges/slopers not to coarse. should keep you busy for min. 2 days (if you don't flash the 8a's).

erm, sam

• forum hero
#3 Sustenpass-Swizzerland
July 11, 2005, 12:41:30 pm
Ta. Sounds about right. I don't think too quick ascents of the 8s,(7s or 6s) will be a problem for me..  Know of any camping near by?

zemike

• regular
#4 Sustenpass-Swizzerland
July 11, 2005, 02:22:28 pm
next "official" camping must be down in the valley to the E (Wassen, Andermatt) or W (Meiringen). down the pass only a few km--> W, theres a inn/hotel (steingletscher); don't know about their pricing, but maybe it's just a little more than the campsites in swizzerland ;-)
between the parking at steingletscher and the glacier itself, somewhere near the footpath should be some more bouldering (just rumours...?).
have fun

Doylo

• forum hero
#5 Sustenpass-Swizzerland
July 11, 2005, 03:25:38 pm
Quote from: "dave"
i heard of this place and was gonna research it last summer but then someone (can't remember who) said it was shite so i didn't bother.

It was probably me, it is.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#6 Sustenpass-Swizzerland
July 11, 2005, 07:49:56 pm
why is it so bobbins Doylo?

Doylo

• forum hero
#7 Sustenpass-Swizzerland
July 11, 2005, 08:51:14 pm
there's not much to go at and whats there is nothing special. I think most people would be pushed to spend more than a day there. The best thing about it is the setting which is nice.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#8 Sustenpass-Swizzerland
July 12, 2005, 09:32:52 am
Magic is lovely but would be horrendous with baby.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#9 Sustenpass-Swizzerland
August 15, 2005, 08:20:04 pm
Well, we went last weekend. It's a bit further away than I thought,  figured 5 hoursish drive, but it acutally took a total of about 8-9 hours including several stops to allow baby to rest her lungs. She really hates sitting in the car seat for more than about 1 hour a day. We now know.
Sustenpass is a beautifull place ,ace mountain road driving to get there and a wicked little cafe by the car park. But it started raining within minutes, LITERALLY MINUTES, of us getting there. Ah well.
Took a walk up the boulder field.. Looks nice. I probably wouldn't drive 9 hours to get there again (Font only takes 9 on a good day).
By the time we had a look around and I returned to get me boots the only dry bit (boulder 24 in my now sodden bloc heart guide) was wet as well. So I walked up to look at the waterfall. Not bad. I was quite impressed at the snow that still remained.
So all in all, if I was 3 hours drive away I would love to go again, but in the meantime I will be going to Cresciano.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal